2017 NEED HELP MAKE-Up BLACK AND WHITE VINTAGE LOOK.

AndyPersons

We are doing a play that takes place in the 1940s where everything on the stage will be B&W including the actors, so I need help tips/advice on make-up to make people look vintage from the 40s has any body done anything like this?

We are doing a play that takes place in the 1940s where everything on the stage will be B&W including the actors, so I need help tips/advice on make-up to make people look vintage from the 40s has any body done anything like this?

Great timing - I'm considering this for a 1920s party as well. This is what I ran across:

http://www.whitneyavalon.com/grayscale.html

Seems involved but well executed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh cool! Yeah definetly seems like it'll take some effort to really make it look good, but I think it's worth it for the effect! Alright thanks! If you find anything else please let me know. And I'll do the same.

I think stage effects would be a bit different. My experience is that you always had to overdo the makeup so that the effects were visible - wrinkles, highlights, etc...

For me, subtlety is more important as we'll be walking amongst a large crowd.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind thanks! Have you worked in stage productions before? Any other tips?
Im thinking about putting baby powder/flour in hair and beards rather than going the more committed way of dying it.

Ha! I did stage production back in high school - years ago. However, since then I've done a number of costumes and make-up/sculpts.

I'd look at spray hair dye that washes out - much easier to deal with and the actors can do it themselves if necessary.

I'm with you - I'm a hobbyist prop and costume builder. Stage production is great for the resume - especially a grayscale build. The costumes and makeup have to work together to make it work. Post pics after you do it!

I'm not planning on it but I have blue eyes that lean toward a gray color. I kind of figured it would look cool.

While I haven't touched a makeup sponge in over 25 years, I do have experience with achromatic painting.

The key is work from an exclusively black and white pallet. It may sound overly simple, but if you introduce premade grays, they may introduce blues and reds if they are cool or warm. Straight black and white is key with blending in between. I wouldn't go overly Kabuki either, if the entire pallet is grey, it'll probably read from a distance easier than color shading.

In terms of hair, powdering will bring out blues like an old lady. I had a Black Lab that insisted on swimming regardless of the temperature and would break through ice to get his fix. When he'd come out, the water would immediately freeze white on his coat and he'd read as blue.

d2.jpg

Alright thanks. So only B&W pallet. Since It will be viewed from a distance would you recommend over doing wrinkles, highlights, lowlights etc. or just keep it with a grey base? As far as hair goes I still haven't decided what I'll do,I'll probably go with a hairspray but we'll have to do some testing. Thanks
btw. I love the "munsters"

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back