DL44 Scratch Build project - finished

dproc

This is a New Hope style DL44 i've made from wood, aluminium, acrylic and plasticard sheet etc. There are a lot of inaccuracies but
it's close enough for a wood model for me. Some concessions were made because of the materials and time. Parts like the scope mount are thicker
for strength. I made pretty much everything except for the scope tube that was an actual scope modified. I have lots of photos if anyone is curious.

Finished first...

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 212
Very cool. I looooove scratch builds. I would love to see some more pics!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Wow! Despite being less than perfectly accurate it looks great, and the craftsmanship more than makes up for accuracy. Nice! How did you space the lines you cut into the grips to perfectly? And you really cut those with a saw and miter box??

Thanks. I printed a series of lines spaced apart (1.5mm i think) and stuck it to the bottom of the mitre box. Double sided taped the grip to a square block that fit snugly into the mitre box. Made a gentle cut, then slid the block to the next line and cut... repeat 33 times (IIRC) per side. You can kind of see how it goes in the yellow photo. Actually woked pretty well and no mistakes. Easier than it sounds!

Thanks. I printed a series of lines spaced apart (1.5mm i think) and stuck it to the bottom of the mitre box. Double sided taped the grip to a square block that fit snugly into the mitre box. Made a gentle cut, then slid the block to the next line and cut... repeat 33 times (IIRC) per side. You can kind of see how it goes in the yellow photo. Actually woked pretty well and no mistakes. Easier than it sounds!

Nice,thanks for the info. Intimidating but maybe not as difficult as I thought. Again, really nice work! The whole thing is a work of art, be proud!

That is a very accurate and excellent piece of craftsmanship, you should be very proud. I've seen scratch builds not even close to the accuracy, so well done, great work.

For a scratch build, the inaccuracies are small issue; that's an amazing build.

very impressive, indeed:thumbsup

That...is...insane! My wrists are cramping up just imagining doing the work. Great results! Reminds me of all the tedious crap I put myself through scratch building a Boba Fett costume while being a poor college student. The stand looks great, too. How did you do that?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Absolutely excellent work. I scratch built everything except the base toy and you proved to us...........how it ALL can be done.

Legend, my friend...legend;)

Thanks! I appreciate that. I used some ideas from other builds and tried some new ones.
Here
is a link to a youtube with lots more photos if anyone wants to see how I did certain parts.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back