DeathProof's Gonk Droid

DeathProof

Looking through a lot of these threads, I've been getting a lot of inspiration in building my own Gonk droid. Special thanks goes out to Greedo for his great design: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241657

Like much of my furniture in my small apartment, if I was to have this guy as an art piece in my house, it would need to be multifunctional. The other caveat would be that it needs to serve a purpose at our 501st booth.

So, it's going to be a case for my mouse droid as well as provide much needed power for troopers at our booth. I'll include USB ports, and various cables to charge iPhones to Aker amps. I will also be designing a sound file that will time with a smoke machine that lets out a brief 'exhaust' when the droid overloads at the 15 minute mark. More on that later.

To date I've trimmed the bins to make them look less like 'bins', wrangled a bunch of old camera parts together (no star wars prop should be without camera parts!) and fixed them to my two bins that are hinged together. I've got a bunch of wires that I will add after I'm done the initial paint colours for the droid. I'm currently building the gonk's "shoes" for the legs (which are screwed in and can be removed for easy travel).

The garage door seal acts as the 'belt' around the droid and actually seals the two halves together nicely.

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666%20copy.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Paint colours will be a layered silver undercoat with matte navy main coat. Orange details and rust weathering.

Update:

Cobbled some shoes together for the droid. I also reverted back to an original design and removed the centrepiece - it was really distracting. All filling is done! Now to sand and paint :)

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

Wow, that looks great, I love the weather. I agree with NegativeEleven, I can't do a sodoku as fast you put this droid together.

Thanks guys! It's a fairly easy build. I spent more time collecting all the little bits and pieces to put on. Painting and weathering is my favourite part of the project.

Continuing on....

I added a bunch of wires and hoses. Also added the official power cable to the USB charger, so it's officially a power droid now.

Need to tidy up some of the paint, add more scratches and all that other weathering goodness, then seal all the paint. I'm probably going to change the insignia to something smaller and less prominent. I'm also humming and hawwing about adding a ripped up cargo net on the side (a la rey's speeder) to hold the power cable when the droid is not plugged in.

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

Gonk complete! (....mostly)

Painted, weathered, electronics installed. I just have to add some kind of brace for the lid so it stays up - having a bit of an issue with that. Trying to make it like a car hood but my brain isn't thinking 4th dimensionally.

Now I'm just waiting for my mouse droid to be complete, so I can line the interior of the gonk properly to safely store the mouse droid.

Also will be adding that smoke machine (exhaust at the front) and sounds.

A very fun build!

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

What do other gonk builders do to keep paint from flaking off of the flexible plastic? I sanded before painting. I tried adhesion promoter spray from O'Reilly's, but that didn't make much of a difference. I riveted flat styrene sheets to the big flat areas so those are ok, but the corners are still giving me trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I chose a really sturdy bin - a plano storage trunk: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plano-storage-trunk/6000066423343

The paint adhered to this guy no problem because it's not a flat plastic surface - has lots of texture. Also gave it a real good overall sanding before painting.

For the rubber belt I used a garage door bottom cover....it's rubber so I wasn't sure how paint was going to stick, but I used Tremclad Rust Paint Aluminum and that went on real nice. It was a good primer as well as a good undercoat to scratch through. The blue is a Valspar primer + paint and it's really thick. I only had to do one coat to get it on, and a little more for touch ups. I like Valspar paints and usually their spray cans leak everywhere but I got lucky with this one :)

Yeah, the plastic for these will NOT hold paint or glue for crap. Roughing up with a scotchbrite helped for me. And a good plastic primer. But you need to be careful. Sounds silly for a weathered droid, I know.

DSC_0019.JPG

What do other gonk builders do to keep paint from flaking off of the flexible plastic? I sanded before painting. I tried adhesion promoter spray from O'Reilly's, but that didn't make much of a difference. I riveted flat styrene sheets to the big flat areas so those are ok, but the corners are still giving me trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back