Imperial Probe Droid - full size

I've seen reference to 2 units built for the film - a 24" tall unit and a full size. I've never seen any reference to parts used or how it was built. The paint job was different on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The small miniature had various model kit parts on it (there are thread on here that go into that over in the relevant section). To build the full-size setpiece, they mainly just scratch-built enlarged versions of them, from what I've seen in photos.

I'd suggest approaching this a bit like an astromech build. The main body is easy to scale and has a simple basic shape. Draft some plans, taking inspiration from one of the common R2-building methods -- lightweight wood framework, with plastic skinning over the outside, with cutouts for the various large details ("vents", legs, blaster, neck...). Enlist the aid of a local reprographics company to do the large printouts for those plans/templates.

The Weber grill shoudl work as an "inner shell" for the head. I was planning to use a couple deep-dish toboggans for mine, built up a la a forensic-anthropology skull reconstruction -- "plugs" to indicate depth. I was then planning to model the head in its entirety (minus fine details), and do it as fiberglassed pepakura anchored to those depth plugs. Lenses and their bezels I was going to 3D print, along with as many of the large and small detail pieces as I could (unless I surprise myself and find actual glass or plastic items to work for the lenses without compromising accuracy).

An additional thought to plant in your head... I was planning ot build a magnetic-levitation alcove for mine. Since building a full-scale probe droid is an exercise in silliness, I figured why not go all out. :D

--Jonah

Seems to me I read that much of the full size prop was vac-formed. So, MDF and foam seems like they would be good materials for a large portion of this build. For the basic shapes. Plus sheet styrene for the lower body "vents". PVC pipes for some of the tubes and Plastruct for some of the domes. The biggest challenge may be finding someone who can vacu-form shapes that large.

I completely agree with the suggestion to invest in the Hot Toys model for reference and scaling. Looking at that first picture, the main body of the droid is wider than Richard Edlund's shoulders. He is a big man. I've talked with him a few times. It's not an exact measurement but it makes me think your "weber grill" idea may be a bit too small. Or maybe I'm missing where you would use it in the build.

Good luck. Like everyone else, I'm really excited to see this one progress.

Cheers,

Ted.

I was thinking of using 2 full size charcoal Weber grill lids to make the tough shape of the head - they'd have to be cut of course. The body I could do with aluminum and foam. Just brainstorming right now - thanks for the ideas

This is going to be big can't wait to see your progress "subscribed" and I will try and chip in where I can
IMG_5595.PNG

I was looking at the hinge point to the legs and the piston / struts look familiar
IMG_5598.PNG
Caravan window struts / window struts or tail gate struts
IMG_5596.PNGIMG_5599.PNG

Good luck with you search I will be watching and searching myself for any inf that might help

bed time for this Brit

i own the articulated version then :lol
but I remember another licensed scaled replica...attacus maybe? :confused

There are only 2 licensed Probe Droid models made so far, excepting the EFX prototype that will most likely never see the light of day: the great looking Sideshow 1/6 articulated figure, which I think it was inspired by the life-size prop, and the Attakus 1/5 statue which is less accurate, with no movable parts, and quite fragile, as many arrived with parts broken.

Now some pics of the screen used probot:

Probe Droid duo.jpg Probe Droid filming.jpg Probe Droid Hoth 01.jpg Probe Droid life-size 2.jpgprobe droid screenshot 01.jpg Probe Droid studio.jpg Probe Droid team.jpg Probe Droid wide1.jpg probedroid3.jpg

Update: I'm running they some options for materials. Looking for advice. I'm considering making the head base shape from EPS foam(pink stuff from Home Depot). Glue pieces together, shape it, use epoxy resin to coat it, then paint. All the attachments and greeblies could be various materials, fiberglass, Eva foam, etc... my hope is this would keep it lite weight. I'd probably use an internal skeleton of PVC pipe so I could create mounting holes.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Also I'm hoping that someone can send me measurements of the scale model.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back