Tomenosuke Blaster 2017/2049?

It will be THE gun. This is being discussed over in this thread. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=267878&page=3&highlight=tomenosuke+2049 2049.jpg

Today I received my Tomenosuke 2049 blaster from Mune, in Japan. I am ecstatic and obviously very happy with the postage speed (it arrived 4 days later).

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread for this question, but I'm in need of some assistance. I have a chance to get a Tomenosuke Pro Retail version for $1,200 (the one with the green and brown art box with foam inside). From my understanding it is the one that was released right before the newest 2049 version? Is this a "good" deal or should I take my chances and wait for a new release? Still in very early stages of researching here, and am a bit overwhelmed. There are so many versions, it's tough to tell what is most accurate, etc.

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread for this question, but I'm in need of some assistance. I have a chance to get a Tomenosuke Pro Retail version for $1,200 (the one with the green and brown art box with foam inside). From my understanding it is the one that was released right before the newest 2049 version? Is this a "good" deal or should I take my chances and wait for a new release? Still in very early stages of researching here, and am a bit overwhelmed. There are so many versions, it's tough to tell what is most accurate, etc.

The new finished one is matte, I think the blued one is prettier and more accurate, personally. I know why they went to the matte finish after bluing my Tomenosuke kit though

The new finished one is matte, I think the blued one is prettier and more accurate, personally. I know why they went to the matte finish after bluing my Tomenosuke kit though

Is the blued one the version I'm referring to? The Pro version? Seems like the grips on this one could be more yellow in color than the new one as well?

The blued one is the HCG Exclusive....

Neither the Pro nor the HCG is accurate when it comes to finish.

The blued one is the HCG Exclusive....

Neither the Pro nor the HCG is accurate when it comes to finish.

Gotcha. Thanks! What is the word on the grips? Is it more screen accurate leaning towards a yellow or orange? The Tomenosuke pro seems to be more yellow where the 2049 looks more orange/red

The red is more accurate. There were quite a few collectors that made efforts to paint the grips with a red marker on the inside in order to achieve a darker nuance. Some also made their own from scratch.

Well, it's made from translucent material, and is very much subject to the lighting in the environment. I'd also argue that it can be difficult to judge based on photo evidence since color temperature and white balance factor in a lot. Also whatever post-processing is done in-camera (jpg) or in post if shooting RAW. So there are many factors.

It has been the general consensus in the past that the earlier Tome blasters had too yellow grips. Thus the number of collectors that put resources into trying to modify the grips.
I am not aware if this general consensus has changed over time. Below are a few shots from the video where Adam Savage meets the blaster.

In my opinion the correct nuance lies somewhere in between the new blaster and previos installments.

blaster_1.JPG blaster_2.JPG blaster_3.JPG

Here's some of my own photos comparing the old Pro (assembly kit) grip to the left with the new 2049 version to the right.
Shot in RAW and increased the exposure a bit in Photoshop to make the white appear white and increased temperature to match that of the light source. Used two softboxes @ 5500 Kelvin to light it up (along with natural daylight in the room).

IMG_8424.jpg IMG_8425.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Next step could be to do comparing shots with each set of grips attached to my 2049 foundation. But that's too much work for me right now. :p

Well, it's made from translucent material, and is very much subject to the lighting in the environment. I'd also argue that it can be difficult to judge based on photo evidence since color temperature and white balance factor in a lot. Also whatever post-processing is done in-camera (jpg) or in post if shooting RAW. So there are many factors.

View attachment 753053 View attachment 753054

I agree with you that lighting is very important when trying to work out a specific colour and indeed the color of the amber itself and also the color of the Bulldog grip have a direct influence on the overall color as well.

Certainly the one's Tomenosuke used in their later run (as seen here in your excellent mod) are horribly yellow. However as you can see in the comparison shots of Adam's blaster (which I have had an opportunity to see and handle as well) with Dan's there is no question that they are more yellow than red. While they are not honey-yellow as your shot shows, they are definitely not red either.

Regards,
MARK

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back