Scratchbuilt Sulaco flashing light thing

Mike Rush

I'd like to show you what I just finished:

finished.jpg

It's a model of one of the flashing beacon things on the Sulaco hangar deck (from Aliens).

I was trying to figure out the dimensions and drawing up plans, and eventually I decided I was never going to get it right unless I made a study model. When I started I was throwing it together pretty fast, as it was never intended to be 'finished' properly. I was printing out sections of my plans on paper and using them as templates, cutting the parts from plasticard and foamex.

pieces.jpg

However as time went by I realised that I was going to end up painting and finishing it after all. A shame in some ways because if I had been intending it as a proper model I might have done some things differently. But for what it is, I'm satisfied.

If you've never given these pods a second look before, you may be surprised to note that instead of a rotating light they have a rotating 45º mirror with light shining at it from below. The mirror hangs down and is rotated presumably by a motor up under the dome. Unfortunately I couldn't fit a motor in there, so I cheated and put the light in the top, motor below. (The effect is the same.) Three AA batteries (in the boxy part) power a motor and a white LED. It was quite a thrill to get it all together, with the mirror turning and the light flashing around.

lit.jpg

I know I've never seen a model of one of these before. It's like one of the 'forgotten props of Aliens'. ;)

Good morning,
Can you put some photos and the measurements with which you did the model? I have searched everywhere but I have not achieved anything
Best regards
Albert

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back