National Anthem protocol

captblitzdawg

Hi, friends! I am putting this here since I am working an event as Captain America, but I guess in general it would apply to any costumed character... If you have had to be Cap during the pledge and the anthem, what do you do? Do you remove the mask? Do you place the hand over the heart or do you salute? Do you set the shield down or hold it at the side like at attention? I was never military (deemed 4F because of my knee and allergy to stinging insects), but I come from a military family and it is very important for me to remain in character without disrespecting the veterans who will be there.
Thanks!

You can do whatever you like. It would make sense for Cap to salute while wearing a helmet or not, after all the Army salutes without covers. Don't worry too much about standing at attention or anything. I would just have the shield in my left arm down by my side and salute with my right hand. There certainly aren't any rules regarding it though.
I've been in the Marines for 12 years so we do it a little differently but if you're in Cosplay do whatever you think is respectful and just have fun.

cap_salute_2010.jpg

Thanks Fastball! It means a lot that you are a veteran. Thank you for serving your country! Molon Labe and Semper Fidelus from a guy who tried hard to enter the Marines but was declared 4F.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back