Boba Fett Empire Strikes Back Build Thread

Re: Boba Fett (EMPIRE) Build Thread

Fettastic. That is one of the best Bobas I have seen ever. Period. The only advice/observation is the vest might need a little more weathering/darkening. It might be the light and or flash. Im just picking gnats out of pepper mind you. With the perfection you have done so far, hopefully my fresh set of eyes might give some insight.

This is one of the hardest costumes to get right, you nailed it.

That's looking really nice. I painted one ESB helmet and that was enough for me, lol. So much detail and so hard to get right. You're killing it.

That's looking really nice. I painted one ESB helmet and that was enough for me, lol. So much detail and so hard to get right. You're killing it.

I remember your Fett Build Matt! You did an exceptional piece of work on your whole build! One of the best. I was troubled when you decided to sell it because it made me think of all the time and effort you put into that and I couldn't imagine the feeling of parting with your baby!

Fettastic. That is one of the best Bobas I have seen ever. Period. The only advice/observation is the vest might need a little more weathering/darkening. It might be the light and or flash. Im just picking gnats out of pepper mind you. With the perfection you have done so far, hopefully my fresh set of eyes might give some insight.

This is one of the hardest costumes to get right, you nailed it.

Wow Thanks! That is a huge compliment! And man you are spot on about the vest! Tip of the hat! It is too clean and it contrasts too much with the flight suit and armor. Since I took that picture I have a new vest made by an excellent member of the dented helmet called BatNinja. The material is actually a light grey instead of white which isn't a big deal considering I could just weather the other one more to get a darker shade but the big thing is that it fits me much much better after some tailoring. The first is a Man of War vest and I absolutely love the material and overall design but unfortunately, Christian only provides a one size fits all and even after having it tailored there is nothing you can do about the shoulder width and apparently I have broader shoulders than the average for my size...just an assumption. Due to this, the sleeves on the flak vest sit a hair too high which in turn places the shoulder bell armor in the wrong position. It's a small detail but it was bugging me and I wanted it to fit like the screen used suit on Jeremy Bulloch and John Morton. But it was a trade off, the material for my BatNinja flak vest is a lot heavier and thicker, I wish I could have the best of both worlds but fit and function take precedence over feel in this instance. Maybe I'll post pictures of the differences between the vests. Could be useful for other Fett Builders.

I'm glad someone is actually giving constructive criticism though! I do need fresh eyes so thanks again for taking the time to critique my work! Keep it coming ;)

Made leaps and bounds on the mandibles this weekend and I'm pretty excited with my progress. I may get this finished before the Rogue One release and be able to wear it after all! Next is finishing up the back hat band, and front mandibles and upper cheeks with the light base grey color. Then it's just the ears, range finder topper, and those dreaded killstripes and killstripe area. Then it's all some light finishing weathering and detailing.

For the Mandibles and Hat Band I used another custom mix to create a faded light maroon base red. It was a very tricky color to create and took a few different mixes of spraying on silver coated plastic spoons to create color samples to compare. In the bottle and in liquid form this color almost looks like a dark pink but once it dries, it looks like a faded maroon. I also like to lightly mist watered down black on this in certain areas to create a bit of fade and weathering...I also like to do this before removing the masking as to not darken the silver or grey. It is very subtle.

For the grey damage I used the same grey on the dome and back panels which is Humbrol 79 (blue grey). One of my favorite colors and paints to use for topical work. It is very thick and needs thinner but allows me to get the perfect consistency for very small chip detailing.

For the purple, yes I said purple, which is the darker accent and contrast color you see next to the grey damage, I used another custom mix. This was difficult because it wasn't just about finding the right color but the right consistency to allow fine topical detailing. Once it lays next to the lighter maroon and grey damage, the purple pretty much just looks like a darker grey.

For some of the small red chips I used the same color I airbrushed on the mandibles but with a hint more red.

thumbnail_IMG_5656_zpsmhdmtwzk.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%2012_zps4i5pxae6.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%209_zpsmmbismtn.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%2010_zpsoawoqbbn.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender%2011_zps92uexf5j.jpg

MOW (Christian) makes the best Fett gear out there in my opinion. Before he started offering his wears, I had to hand sculpt my gauntlets with fiberglass and bondo. The helmet is a heavily modified Rubies. Armor is hand pounded aluminum on a custom leather vest. This was Halloween 2002. Sold it a few years later to a guy in Hawaii.

Again, great work and looking forward to your future projects.

composit1_zpsjwyarrsf.png

Loving the updates Fettastic. Ive started my helmet following you tutorial...keep em coming ;)

Also mate how long are you leaving the enamel coast in between different color coats and using masking fluid? Thanks

MOW (Christian) makes the best Fett gear out there in my opinion. Before he started offering his wears, I had to hand sculpt my gauntlets with fiberglass and bondo. The helmet is a heavily modified Rubies. Armor is hand pounded aluminum on a custom leather vest. This was Halloween 2002. Sold it a few years later to a guy in Hawaii.

Again, great work and looking forward to your future projects.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii203/lear60man/composit1_zpsjwyarrsf.jpg

Christian definitely makes great gear and he's great to work with. Man that's some killer scratch building on those gaunts!!! Great job on the Rubies too! That's a great looking Jango! If I had the time I would have liked to try my hand in scratch building harder parts like the armor and such...but my time frame goal for this project was 1 year and I'm already 1 month past due so maybe in the near future when this one is finished.

Loving the updates Fettastic. Ive started my helmet following you tutorial...keep em coming ;)

Also mate how long are you leaving the enamel coast in between different color coats and using masking fluid? Thanks

Very nice! Best of luck Josh and I'm sure you'll enjoy the process. The only enamel paint I use is on the silver base coat...for everything else I use acrylics. Acrylic paint dries very fast and in a dry climate I can topically paint over a fresh layer after a few hours with no problems. I wouldn't put masking fluid on it however until after 20 hours or so just to make sure it has cured and bonded with the previous layer. I'm not too sure on enamels since I typically don't use them but I believe they take more time to dry and cure.

Side note, masking fluid can be really tricky when doing a layering technique. If at all possible try and paint over the masking fluid as soon as possible that way you can remove it sooner...same goes for masking tape...the longer you leave masking fluid or tape on the better it bonds with the under coat and is more likely to peel up previous paint. Never leave it on longer than you have to.

Awesome thanks for your help Fettastic, Im using enamels and seems to be coming along great so far! :) Are you going to seal the helmet with a clear coat when finished...a matte clear?

Im just worried about weathering/washing the matt helmet paint before sealing it with a clear. The matt paint seems to grab the weather washes and you cant get it off again where you dont want it.

I remember your Fett Build Matt! You did an exceptional piece of work on your whole build! One of the best. I was troubled when you decided to sell it because it made me think of all the time and effort you put into that and I couldn't imagine the feeling of parting with your baby!

Thanks! It was sad to pack it up, but I just didn't have the funds or space to take on another large project without letting it go. I'm happy the parts are going into such great builds and will get out there and see some action.

Awesome thanks for your help Fettastic, Im using enamels and seems to be coming along great so far! :) Are you going to seal the helmet with a clear coat when finished...a matte clear?

Im just worried about weathering/washing the matt helmet paint before sealing it with a clear. The matt paint seems to grab the weather washes and you cant get it off again where you dont want it.

Yes, I will dull coat the whole thing once I'm finished painting it...even after the final weathering because the weathering is meant to be permanent. Yes, weathering can be a bit stressful after painting such a detailed piece so take your time and remember less is more. Also, you can shape the dark misting / carbon scoring areas with a 0000 steel wool by lightly rubbing where you may want a little less than you sprayed.

Killstripes are on! Removed the tape and masking fluid while the paint wasn't fully cured. If you wait too long then you risk the tape really sticking to the under layer of paint and potentially pulling up bits of previous layers so I use plastic bags to cover large areas and I try and avoid it being on there too long. This yellow paint becomes really rubbery and is not ideal for unmasking, I've learned that there's a sweet spot in the time frame to remove the masking...after the paint is still drying before it becomes rubbery. Then I'll let the paint fully dry and very very lightly use steel wool. The rubbery edges remaining from the unmasking will chip away.

I've also been able to work on the left ear a little bit.

Killstripes%209_zps6ywdk3ef.jpg

Finished the left and right ear! For the small black markings I tried Superjedi's dry rub transfers. I have to say I am impressed with how close they are to the real deal in size and detail! Saves a lot of time painting them on but still stressful trying to make sure they are in the correct position. Well worth hands down.

FullSizeRender57_zpsbgd43yew.jpg

FullSizeRender56_zpsdxhzkuu8.jpg

FullSizeRender55_zpsmexd1rek.jpg

FullSizeRender54_zpsyzz1oew4.jpg

FullSizeRender59_zpsz6xwkslf.jpg

FullSizeRender58_zpstd5jjram.jpg

Finished the killstipe side of the dome including the dent and the carbon scoring. Attached the ears and the range finder stalk. I will do the RF topper and the last of detailed weathering today. Then I'll dull coat it and call it quits on this bad boy.

FullSizeRender46_zpsrnxhw9id.jpg

IMG_5744_zps0wxcrn0y.jpg

IMG_5746_zpsh3zfn13h.jpg

FullSizeRender47_zpsqapxlvpi.jpg

FullSizeRender48_zpsxzjrkazr.jpg

FullSizeRender49_zpsyj4n4j2q.jpg

FullSizeRender51_zps3nj8r9gp.jpg

FullSizeRender52_zps8vfwkp7s.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back