Game of Thrones "The Painted Table" replica UPDATED 5/29/2021

Sandman0077

Sr Member
Hey everyone, it's been awhile. Life's been in the way.

I'm looking to make a replica of the Painted Table from Dragonstone. This project will be completed in stages and will last for awhile probably, so don't expect a quick finish on this one. The table used on set was 16.5' long. I'm only wanting mine to be coffee table size, about 4' long, 20" wide, and 1"-2" thick.
370px-Dragonstone_Chamber_of_the_Painted_Table_by_Kim_Pope.jpg
04.png
06.png
01.png

I will be using "Skratch Architectural Sculpting Medium" ( sKratchworKs ) (credit to dementorRain for introducing it to me!) for the carved map portion and edges on top of a wood base. For the castles, the Wall, mountains, and forest markers I will be using inlaid cutouts pressed into the skratch, probably from made of wood.

Not sure how I intend to make the legs, but I have time for that later.

First step is printing the map out as a guide.

UPDATE 5/27/2021:
WOW. 5 years later haha. Table is still going to be 2x4 feet.

After the Skratchwork material not working out, I've opted to 3d-print the table top (the landmasses, at least, in sections). I'm not sure about 3d-modeling the waves or not yet, but I've also thought about boxing it in and doing some water effects with epoxy like people with dioramas.

First things first, though, I gotta model in the lands, fonts, and icons (which I've already modeled those last two years ago!).

Here's the initial outlines of the map:

Outlines.png
01.jpg

Full Table ENGRAVED FINAL small.png

02.jpg

03.jpg

Split STLs.png

02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

To-size icon slots
20210529_145500.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Game of Thrones "The Painted Table" replica

Well, if I'm honest, if you the intention is to use it as an actual functional table when done why not make it out of wood?

I would love to do it in wood, but I'm a ceramist, so clay is my main medium. Wood would be great, but I wouldn't know where to begin with carving everything out, as I've not had good experience with wood in the past, both carving and wood burning.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Hmm. Well .... hmm. Is it important to have the irregular shapes along the edge or could the finished product be a rectangle? Or oval for that matter.

It's going to have the irregular shape of the table from the show. I've seen the ones that people have made with the squared off edges, and I honestly think it looks weird with the North touching the edge and nowhere else.

Why not cut a piece of wood (or pieces) to size- and then sculpt a thin sheet of detail over the top?

You could then cut it down to sizes easy to mold off of - and cast the detail with wood used as the core for strength and durability. Should save a considerable amount of resin.

Or sculpt it in foam- then paint the foam in acrylic and fiberglass a shell that can be used to keep it light and durable?

* missed your mdf idea... that's the route I'd go myself

Wow. That stuff looks amazing, and perfect for what I want to do. Thank you!

Yeah it is great stuff and reasonably priced! It bonds perfectly to almost any surface, the only thing I havehad problems with is any pointy extrusions are pretty fragile but for that kind of work like with talons or horns I use epoxy clay. On the Skratch site, they recommend priming the work area but I never had a problem working directly on a fresh surface. Here are a few pics of a sign I made with Skratch a while back.12716161_858318020946203_2772699708362866006_o.jpg12733555_858317967612875_438306622000784061_n.jpg

Yeah it is great stuff and reasonably priced! It bonds perfectly to almost any surface, the only thing I havehad problems with is any pointy extrusions are pretty fragile but for that kind of work like with talons or horns I use epoxy clay. On the Skratch site, they recommend priming the work area but I never had a problem working directly on a fresh surface. Here are a few pics of a sign I made with Skratch a while back.View attachment 642249View attachment 642250
Sounds like skratch it is! I will probably get some of their soft skratch to get a really smooth carving surface on top of the regular skratch to start with.

Re: Game of Thrones "The Painted Table" replica UPDATED 7/9/16

Got the map printed and tiled. Currently working on which elements to include as per screenshots of the screen used table.

Mainland shape is outlined, still need to push out the table edges with the water.

I haven't been able to locate the font used on the screen used table. It's not the GoT font, and identifont came up with nothing.

2a995f07b8375aaf389245edab6abe1e.jpg

EDIT: Figured out all of the castles/towns/cities/roads. Still need to finish up the bays and seas, and making the areas/islands with the names of them on it.

Blue marks are rivers and locations on Stannis' table (as close as I could identify), and red are roads. There are some exceptions, such as exact island locations and a few important areas north of the wall. Remember, Stannis' table was made before the 7 kingdom were formed, so there are no territories labelled anywhere.

0e297ded7cc2980b89979776cb1b0926.jpg

e490639e94443c7c3a5d4e5826d28ebd.jpg

42034703d895ace86583adee8be465ac.jpg

Next will be fine tuning the bay and sea names, and creating the outer edges of water.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Tonight's focus was positioning the sea and island labels, and figuring out the water edges. Not much to do until I get the wood base for this thing and start cutting the shape out.

Once I buy the wood, I'll get some 1/4" sheets and start making the inlaid components. Lots of little trees to make!

496ad81981bcb510b1b18c1284e8a7a2.jpg

This project looks staggering, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Dope

Thanks for the positive feedback so far, everyone!

I started working on the inlaid component designs. Lots of playing with perspective, measuring, etc. Feels like I'm getting closer with them. My only issue with how I wanted to do them originally is that they are going to be WAY too small to cut by hand. My next idea is to have custom stamps made to size for each design, then stamp into clay and cast multiples with colored resin and epoxy them into place after painting.

Here's a few of the designs so far. Don't worry about the weird angled parts, they are blown up 7 times the size needed to work on.
Castle 1.png Castle 3.png Castle 2.png

I finished the icons just now. Still haven't decided on their actual size yet, but they will be around the 1/2" range.
Mountains Small.pngMountains BIG.pngTrees.png

Re: Game of Thrones "The Painted Table" replica UPDATED 7/14/16

I've been debating on what kind of legs this thing is going to have, and because the legs are never shown in the show, anything is fair game.

I've looked at mostly unique tables, hoping to find something more natural looking, and I wasn't disappointed! Too much to choose from, so I've narrowed it down to these. I am looking for a more rustic style, but there are some nice modern looks too. Any thoughts?

c71359ce6ac2e4413c85d55a2ab77a60.jpg
7517fd1752dc78479a3453732522707f.jpg
a1658215790b6afe50ac417618b441e3.jpg
5b62ef121c667e940136e81de3f3cc97.jpg

I really love how these look!
e15d5b110a661c9c8c1e1881945d2ce1.jpg
19b6aa7772dc070e5d36a5d4da9a13e7.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back