Game of Thrones "The Painted Table" replica UPDATED 5/29/2021

No, I haven't started building this yet, as I didn't enjoy the material I was originally going to use for it.

What kind of material do you intend to try? Would you consider wood or another material? I found the foam insulation board worked pretty well for shaping, but if you want something sturdier, wood would probably work better. Here's a link to my website (still a work in progress) with some pics of my table, if you're interested.

What kind of material do you intend to try? Would you consider wood or another material? I found the foam insulation board worked pretty well for shaping, but if you want something sturdier, wood would probably work better. Here's a link to my website (still a work in progress) with some pics of my table, if you're interested.

Wow that’s insane, how did you inscribe all the detail?

I wanted to use a product called Skratchworks. It's a paper clay that air dries to a stone-like strength. I ordered some but it wasn't a smooth as I wanted it to be. I would have to do a ton of sanding which I wasn't willing to do at the time lol.

Wow that’s insane, how did you inscribe all the detail?
Thanks. For the water edge and rivers, I used a hot wire foam cutter. Worked great for taking away large and smooth chunks for the waves. Along the edges of the map I used Spackle to create a wavy texture and then lightly sanded it. I wanted to carve all the text on the map, but I didn't have enough time and printed it instead.

I wanted to use a product called Skratchworks. It's a paper clay that air dries to a stone-like strength. I ordered some but it wasn't a smooth as I wanted it to be. I would have to do a ton of sanding which I wasn't willing to do at the time lol.
Skratchworks sounds amazing... I think I may give it a go. Sanding is a downside though, for sure, ha. I wish you well on your journey. I'd love to see it when you've made progress.

WOW. 5 years later haha. Table is still going to be 2x4 feet.

After the Skratchwork material not working out, I've opted to 3d-print the table top (the landmasses, at least, in sections). I'm not sure about 3d-modeling the waves or not yet, but I've also thought about boxing it in and doing some water effects with epoxy like people with dioramas.

First things first, though, I gotta model in the lands, fonts, and icons (which I've already modeled those last two years ago!).

Here's the initial outlines of the map:
Outlines.png

Next, I'll make the land 3d and start carving in the details.

I spent some time today tweaking and adding some detail as I saw fit, and then engraved everything into the land masses. Remember, the texts remain engraved, where as the icons will be SLA printed and added into their slots afterwards.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Split the final map into pieces to fit my 12"x12" printer built plate:
Split STLs.png

Last edited:
Working on refining the icon surfaces to match the screen used table. Ivory/Bone color for the tower/castle/keep icons, green/lime green for forest/tree icons, hammered copper for mountain icons, dark brown for the wood table.

All icons will be resin printed.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Okay, so... resin printing isn't going to be the solution I thought it was. I did one version of symmetrical icons straight from the original file, but those were too 'sharp' for the test slots. I then scanned in the actual test print slots and traced the imperfect outlines and made a second set of icons made to the exact shape of the test slots; While they were a better fit, there's no way 300+ resin prints are feasible, having to still clean up each and ever icon to fit.

My next solution is to FDM print an entire 12"x12" plate of icon slots, then do a silicone mold of it. Then mold THAT mold, then I can cast them. Not sure if resin will work, as these are so small and I won't be able to do any flow channels to connect them, but it's worth a shot. Plaster would be my next option, or even air-dry clay.

20210530_100227.jpg

Well, I contacted several laser cutting services and none of them can cut this small? Idk. But I started printing the map.

20210601_111430.jpg

I doubt the road and river names show up at all because they are so small. I figured that, so it's not a shock or anything.

2nd print messed up so I tried testing the icons for fit; came out pretty good!

As far as the smaller lettering goes, there are definitely some thin letters, but I can probably go back over them with a needle or something to make them clearer to read.

20210601_181427.jpg

20210601_181421.jpg

Last edited:
You know, this table is making me mad lol. I didn't like how small the lettering was coming out, so I bumped up the print size and it STILL isn't big enough. I'm thinking at this point I'm going to have to get the entire map laser cut and engraved.

I could split the files even more and print even larger, but then it would be larger than 2'x4', which is already a fairly large coffee table.

BUT I might be able to resin print the text and icon areas and then put them into the FDM print afterwards

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back