ANH Tusken Raider Build - Update November 2021

TatooineMachine

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm a big fan of the Tatooine characters, so a Tusken Raider seemed like a cool compliment to my already started Jawa and Luke. I picked up a Godzilla mask kit and respirator from Adam Winkel, great guy to deal with! I should have the helmet kit tomorrow and will get started. I have a Boer war leather bandolier I picked up from eBay out of India, a Repro but it's really nice and will weather up great. I've dyed it and started to weather it as well. I also pick up a vintage C96 broom handle Mauser 12 pouch leather waist bandolier like the attack on Luke scene in ANH. Adam offers really nice inner & outer robes, waist sash, and gloves. I may go this route to save searching for the right fabrics and won't have to figure out patterns. I'll pick up a pair of boots and wrap them too. Fairly simple costume, and my first full Star Wars costume!

I want to make a really accurate Tusken rifle. Any reference pictures would be greatly appreciated. I'll carve a wood stock and use metal for the barrels, scope, etc. I've always loved this character and looking forward to another build. I'll post pictures later over the weekend.

Chad

Last edited:
Adam's Godzilla kit arrived, a real piece of art! Here some pics. I'll start later today....

IMG_4986_zpsuwsgvdj1.jpg

IMG_4987_zpskm8lslh2.jpg

IMG_4989_zpszyaygbz4.jpg

IMG_4988_zps8wbstx6j.jpg

Started with buying all the recommended glues. Next mounted the horns.

IMG_5032_zpsaoz9tmzz.jpg

Cut the eyes, nose vent, and cheek tusk holes.

IMG_5031_zpsnpdhulls.jpg

Scored and sanded the eye backs and tusk edges for good adhesion

IMG_5030_zps3scsf4x9.jpg

Glued and held with my Dewalt drill

IMG_5033%201_zpsanopktjt.jpg

Tomorrow I'll do the lamb skin mouth and eye pieces....

Lamb skin and tooth installed

IMG_5035_zpsav2ydopo.jpg

Cowhide laid out in order

IMG_5036_zpscrvajqbc.jpg

Cowhide bridge of tooth piece

IMG_5038_zpsn2b2mhpx.jpg

Piece 2 started, this is easier than the whole piece at one time.

IMG_5039_zpsbdds01lh.jpg

Picked up a Mauser bandolier, a Repro Boer bandolier, and the 12 pouch belt bandolier like the Bantha rider in ANH. I'll post pics when I get them.

Good job man! Looks great and can't wait to see finished costume!!!
Goodluck,
Alex

- - - Updated - - -

I have always wondered.. How's the visibility in the helmet?

Mine has decent visibility rang, but as you would probably expect, there isn't any peripheral vision in this helmet.

So I decided to add a trigger to the Tusken rifle, I know the screen used props didn't have them but it only makes sense to have one? I picked this trigger up and am going to copper plate it and weather. I also got the Kalimar shutter timer I thought would make a cool part for the stock. I'll use some stainless steel braided brake line and threaded brass fittings from the top to maybe the scope.

IMG_5205_zpsnv5aukfq.jpg

IMG_5204_zpsmmwmsjfu.jpg

The last Mauser bandolier came today too

IMG_5201_zpsgolbhpel.jpg

I started on the mask wraps too....I'll post pics later

Arrrggh! Looking great!

So want to do one of these one day. (Godzilla Kit)

Bandoliers looking great.

Keep going!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back