Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Rockland, ME
    Jun 21, 2016, 8:52 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #76

I have someone whose printing the pieces I need for this, but I'm having a hard time with the rings. I think I got the clasps, though. Are there files around for download, or are these shapeway files the only ones that have been made?
  2. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    Plano, TX
    Jun 22, 2016, 10:18 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #77

Do you have the belt done? and any pics of the tunic ?
  3. RPF Premium Member The Prop Lord's Avatar
    From
    Hephzibah, GA
    Jun 22, 2016, 3:16 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #78

SupersonicGabi said: View Post
    I have someone whose printing the pieces I need for this, but I'm having a hard time with the rings. I think I got the clasps, though. Are there files around for download, or are these shapeway files the only ones that have been made?
    At the moment, it's only up on Shapeways. Shoot me a private message.

rchan202 said: View Post
    Do you have the belt done? and any pics of the tunic ?

I haven't had a chance to model it yet. And honestly, I don't know if I can. My 3d modeling skills are very, VERY limited. I'm using Adobe Illustrator to draw everything, 2d to 3d programs, Mesh Lab to delete excess nodes, and Blender to manipulate it all.

I will try to do it though!
    From
    Worthing, United Kingdom
    Jun 22, 2016, 5:32 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #79

To anyone attempting this costume: good luck. This must be one of the most insane costumes I've ever seen.
  5. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Jun 23, 2016, 7:08 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #80

Everybody stop sewing your cloaks. I may have stumbled onto something.
    I am going to check it in the morning when it isn't after midnight.
    Will post again in the morning to confirm my suspicions.. it looks very lopsided.
  6. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Jun 23, 2016, 7:41 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #81

uneven sides.. shoulders.. right shoulder goes up and out left shoulder goes down.. too tired for this...
    Soo uneven!
    pic from: http://www.bbeautydesigns.com/#!dr-strange/c1ipf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb583d_8624023e4dcb4c0d90a916269252a8e2.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	637501  
  7. RPF Premium Member The Prop Lord's Avatar
    From
    Hephzibah, GA
    Jun 23, 2016, 3:56 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #82

Moa Hunta said: View Post
    uneven sides.. shoulders.. right shoulder goes up and out left shoulder goes down.. too tired for this...
    Soo uneven!
    pic from: http://www.bbeautydesigns.com/#!dr-strange/c1ipf

Yeah, this was posted on page 3 I think. Still a neat find. Again, the thing that makes me cringe is the use of "regular" or "normal fabric"

Let's put some "regular" tires on that truck!

Anyway, yeah, it's lop sided and it drapes over the left shoulder dramatically, whereas the right side just free hangs.

Btw Moa, I order some fabric from Etsy that has the chevron pattern and it is absolutely perfect. I'd share the link but the fabric is out of stock and I can't find the page.
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Jun 23, 2016, 7:20 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #83

The Prop Lord said: View Post
    Yeah, this was posted on page 3 I think. Still a neat find. Again, the thing that makes me cringe is the use of "regular" or "normal fabric"

Let's put some "regular" tires on that truck!

Anyway, yeah, it's lop sided and it drapes over the left shoulder dramatically, whereas the right side just free hangs.

Btw Moa, I order some fabric from Etsy that has the chevron pattern and it is absolutely perfect. I'd share the link but the fabric is out of stock and I can't find the page.
    I just glanced at it when it was posted but when I was making my pattern I couldn't figure out how the circle bit sat before realizing that it covers the shoulder.
    So many of the pictures it's hiked up to the top of his shoulder and you can't see it but the main promo image that we have been discussing recently has the shoulder completely covered, and draped down.
    So much uneven! You horrible(beautiful) designers!

Also I'm in New Zealand, prepping this costume for use at SDCC. I fly out on the 11th - wish me luck, unfortunately that rules out shipping fabrics at this time
    Last edited by Moa Hunta; Jun 23, 2016 at 9:34 PM.
    From
    Rockland, ME
    Jun 25, 2016, 11:43 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #84

Hey all, I know we're all focused on the fabrics and patterns right now, but I just wanted to share the progress on my Eye.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13391093_1727719484176150_755176378_n.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	638000
    This was after the first pass of sanding and the cord holders (?, the place where the leather cording hangs the eye around your neck). My model didn't have these, so I made them from Apoxie Sculpt.

Name:	13395073_967621873356597_2145846297_n.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	638001
    The finished product, well, almost. I painted the whole thing with Gold spraypaint, weathered with black acrylic, then sealed with acrylic sealer. After that, I realized the parts that cross the iris are actually silver. I want to say I went over them with silver acrylic, but I think I actually used nail polish, hahaha. I braided the cord myself. I'm not sure I'm perfectly happy with that part, but all that can be replaced.
  10. RPF Premium Member The Prop Lord's Avatar
    From
    Hephzibah, GA
    Jun 27, 2016, 12:35 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #85

If anyone needs the rings resized, go ahead and message me on Shapeways, but please message me on theRPF as well so I can make sure I reply.

Shapeways website messaging system is down right now and I can't reply

My house had a plumbing related flood and I've been working on replacing flooring in one room. So I haven't had a chance to 3d model the rest of the "hard bits" of the costume. I'll do that as soon as I get the opportunity.
  11. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Jun 27, 2016, 7:43 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #86

Looks good SupersonicGabi!
    @The Prop Lord, we both know shapeways has a HORRIBLE messaging system.

-Update for today: I've started work on sewing all of my random fabrics.
    My Laser etched acrylic stencils for the embossed velvet have arrived and look pretty good too!
    I have the belt circle being 3D printed today/tomorrow and I should be able to finish that and paint it up by the end of the week.
    My cloak lining tests came back today and look really good. I'm going to fade your pattern by half @The Prop Lord so that it's not quite so strong.
    That should hopefully be done by Thursday which gives me about 2 weeks total before I fly out! EEEEE!!
  12. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    From
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Jul 1, 2016, 9:58 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #87

Progress pic of my costume - the cloak is still being worked on, my darling wife is so talented!

Please note that we're far from professionals so be kind! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belt progress pic.jpg 
Views:	721 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	639841
  13. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    Plano, TX
    Jul 1, 2016, 10:45 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #88

Great job on the belt !
  14. RPF Premium Member The Prop Lord's Avatar
    From
    Hephzibah, GA
    Jul 1, 2016, 11:51 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #89

Definitely! VERY nice job!

I'm still dealing with the plumbing flood and I haven't worked on my suit yet. Nor have I had a chance to 3d model any other pieces.
  15. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    From
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Jul 2, 2016, 1:03 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #90

Thanks folks!

I modeled and 3d printed the belt loop and rings - the loop was simple, the rings quite a challenge! Now I'm modelling up the Eye of Agamotto, which is probably the second biggest challenge I've ever done in 3d printing. Fingers, toes & eyes crossed!
    From
    Rockland, ME
    Jul 2, 2016, 9:39 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #91

WOW... I feel like I should have started with the tunic, seeing yours. Tell your wife she did a fantastic job!
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    From
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Jul 2, 2016, 11:47 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #92

WOW... I feel like I should have started with the tunic, seeing yours. Tell your wife she did a fantastic job!
    Thanks - duly passed on! There's actually several parts there - the pants, the basic tunic, the tabard over both shoulders and the extra pleated bit that's only on the left side at the front. The vambraces are separate as well, they have an invisible zip on the inside. It's quite the complex costume and so much of it is assymetrical! We're having fun with the cloak too - especially how it's not a perfect curved shape but lifts high on one side and much lower on the other.
  18. RPF Premium Member The Prop Lord's Avatar
    From
    Hephzibah, GA
    Jul 3, 2016, 1:18 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #93

I've added a few more ring sizes on Shapeways.

Keep in mind: As it fits the ring finger (9, for example). (14 is the highest "Ring finger size") It is recommended that you choose 1 size higher (10), unless your middle finger is also whatever size you choose, i.e. 9

19. RPF Premium Member The Prop Lord's Avatar
    From
    Hephzibah, GA
    Jul 4, 2016, 5:33 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #94

Hey guys! I finished some "clamps" that go on the woven / braided belt. You can either buy them from Shapeways, or download them and print them some other way!

Name:	clamps.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	640574

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G7...shop-inventory
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/4S...shop-inventory
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/T7...shop-inventory

Here is the belt piece as well. It is not 100% screen accurate. As I said before, my modeling skills are very, very limited. So, if you're in a rush, it's a start.

Name:	demo.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	640581

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CJ...3d6bc7ee08d347
    Last edited by The Prop Lord; Jul 4, 2016 at 5:57 PM.
  20. RPF Premium Member The Prop Lord's Avatar
    From
    Hephzibah, GA
    Jul 7, 2016, 6:30 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #95

Finally, I have finished my Eye of Aggamotto model!

Name:	Eyeyeye.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	349.8 KB 
ID:	641796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eyeyeye2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	641801

It's in 3 pieces:

Eye "ball"
    Cross
    "Bottom"

The eye ball and the bottom section are hollowed out a bit so you can put batteries and LEDs in it if you want. It also cut down the cost by about $30+.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UG...ionId=60282510

https://www.shapeways.com/product/MZ...8af72f25823d2a

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AS...e-of-aggamotto
    Last edited by The Prop Lord; Jul 7, 2016 at 6:35 PM.
  21. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Jul 7, 2016, 8:36 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #96

Is that just a flat back?
  22. RPF Premium Member The Prop Lord's Avatar
    From
    Hephzibah, GA
    Jul 7, 2016, 9:10 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #97

Moa Hunta said: View Post
    Is that just a flat back?
    The back is shelled / hollowed out. You can look that model in 3d view on this page if you click the last "photo".

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AS...aign=affiliate

By "flat back", if you're asking if the bottom layer is not detailed, then the answer is no. There is definitely detail on that layer.

Now, if you mean the part that would be touching a print bed, yes. It is perfectly flat.

If you look closely, there are "ridges" on the lowest "level."

Name:	demo.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	641900

While I'm fixing my printer, I went ahead and ordered the Eye of Aggamotto with the white polished material. It won't get here until after the 18th though.

At least I won't have to do any cleanup work because Shapways's printer gives MUCH sharper detail than filament.
    Last edited by The Prop Lord; Jul 7, 2016 at 9:53 PM.
  23. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    From
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Jul 8, 2016, 10:21 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #98

Looks great! I'm having all kinds of problems modeling the Eye, and unfortunately the Thingiverse models have so many issues I can't even do a basic boolean subtract on them so it's going to be a while before I can get this done.

Hopefully once I'm over this incessant coughing I can get stuck into it!
    From
    Rockland, ME
    Jul 9, 2016, 11:51 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #99

this is kind of a simple question, but has anyone figured out how to turn make the brooches actually hold the weight of the cape? Basically, what are you all using for fasteners?
  25. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    From
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Jul 10, 2016, 4:47 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #100

this is kind of a simple question, but has anyone figured out how to turn make the brooches actually hold the weight of the cape? Basically, what are you all using for fasteners?
    To be honest, on ours the brooches are purely decorative - they're too small & fragile to hold any weight and the cloak isn't going to be lightweight. We're still experimenting with the best way to hold it in place.