Hasbro Black Series Rogue One Stormtrooper Helmet

Exactly what I was planning! I read they were undersized but it doesn't look too bad next to the Black Series job. Your photo has persuaded me to crack on and buy one!

Thanks for the info.

Exactly what I was planning! I read they were undersized but it doesn't look too bad next to the Black Series job. Your photo has persuaded me to crack on and buy one!

Thanks for the info.

Definitely not undersized, just a bit cheap looking! If you can find it for a good price, there is definitely a lot of potential!

Definitely not undersized, just a bit cheap looking! If you can find it for a good price, there is definitely a lot of potential!

Well, I've ordered one from Amazon for 30 quid (this is all your fault TrooperXIII :D) so looking forward to seeing what I can do with it!

Mine finally arrived here in Canada and boy is it nice. More amazingly though,
It fits my massive melon just fine! That head strap definitely has to go though!

I haven't had the opportunity to get any batteries in it to test yet. I'm not anticipating anything different from everyone else's experience though...

Well mine turned up, today.
This was a day after I'd contacted Amazon.co.uk and they'd replied they had no idea when they would be in stock!
Try communicating with each other, guys!

I haven't had the opportunity to get any batteries in it to test yet. I'm not anticipating anything different from everyone else's experience though...
before you join the two parts together, wet both audio contacts with some water. it's an old trick, but it works!

the stormtrooper helmets do have decent audio, it's the bad connection that is causing the problem.

most new audio contacts have a layer of grease which stops the contact from working... a bit of water helps the connection.

It's not kid sized, but it is definitely underscaled. From measuring, it's only about 85% of full size. If you're doing a toy display (which the unmodded Hasbro Clone Trooper helmet leads me to believe that is) it's fine. For wearing, or for a more accurately comparative display, it would be too small. I've got one, plus their less-good Phasma that's the same size. Cleaning them up and making them more accurate and will be displaying them side-by-side -- by themselves, so as to avoid visual comparison with other helmets. They're really good for representational purposes (decent detail, accurate proportions, etc), especially for the price. But be careful about thinking they're more/better than they are. ;)

--Jonah

It's not kid sized, but it is definitely underscaled. From measuring, it's only about 85% of full size. If you're doing a toy display (which the unmodded Hasbro Clone Trooper helmet leads me to believe that is) it's fine. For wearing, or for a more accurately comparative display, it would be too small. I've got one, plus their less-good Phasma that's the same size. Cleaning them up and making them more accurate and will be displaying them side-by-side -- by themselves, so as to avoid visual comparison with other helmets. They're really good for representational purposes (decent detail, accurate proportions, etc), especially for the price. But be careful about thinking they're more/better than they are. ;)

--Jonah

When finished, it will be a helmet display rather than a 'toy' display, I am currently planning out the mods for the clone helmet, I have taken all the painted scratch marks from the Kylo Ren helmet (to eventually give it more accurate weathering) and will be completely reprinting the First Order helmet.

screen accuracy is not necessarily the overall goal, just a more consistent look!

As as for the size of the First Order helmet, I have seen comparisons to the Anovos made helmet and they are pretty close in size, does that mean the Anovos one is undersized too?

When finished, it will be a helmet display rather than a 'toy' display, I am currently planning out the mods for the clone helmet,

It's actually a surprisingly good base. I need to dust mine off again, but I've had higher-priority costume stuff demanding my attention. A little reshaping of the side tubes, redoing the slots on them, raising the bottom edge of the visor an inch all along its length, redoing the inset for the chin greeblie (and doing an accurate greeblie), and a bit of fiddly work with the tail fin are most of what you need. I stalled out while I was working to give it a proper return edge and neck ring on the bottom -- and still be able to wear it.

I have taken all the painted scratch marks from the Kylo Ren helmet (to eventually give it more accurate weathering) and will be completely reprinting the First Order helmet.

Reprinting or repainting? I'm redoing the side and top latches and the black side insets, since those got altered to allow for the front-to-back seam. Plus adding the return edge to the bottom. But those are minor. Trying to find 85% scaled bubble lenses is a no-go so far. :cry

As as for the size of the First Order helmet, I have seen comparisons to the Anovos made helmet and they are pretty close in size, does that mean the Anovos one is undersized too?

85% is pretty close. It only gets noticeable right next to the 1:1 helmet, or right next to an OT Stormtrooper helmet, or if worn on a full-size set of armor. It's also just different enough to be problematic for replacing the chin greeblie or the latches or the visor. I'm not using the hex-mesh I got for this helmet, as the holes will be just that little bit too big, and I only have those three breathing holes to fill and detail.

--Jonah

It's actually a surprisingly good base. I need to dust mine off again, but I've had higher-priority costume stuff demanding my attention. A little reshaping of the side tubes, redoing the slots on them, raising the bottom edge of the visor an inch all along its length, redoing the inset for the chin greeblie (and doing an accurate greeblie), and a bit of fiddly work with the tail fin are most of what you need. I stalled out while I was working to give it a proper return edge and neck ring on the bottom -- and still be able to wear it.

Reprinting or repainting? I'm redoing the side and top latches and the black side insets, since those got altered to allow for the front-to-back seam. Plus adding the return edge to the bottom. But those are minor. Trying to find 85% scaled bubble lenses is a no-go so far. :cry

85% is pretty close. It only gets noticeable right next to the 1:1 helmet, or right next to an OT Stormtrooper helmet, or if worn on a full-size set of armor. It's also just different enough to be problematic for replacing the chin greeblie or the latches or the visor. I'm not using the hex-mesh I got for this helmet, as the holes will be just that little bit too big, and I only have those three breathing holes to fill and detail.

--Jonah

Auto correct is again my enemy haha, meant repainting! I am a little under-skilled for some of the more complex alterations, filling gaps and repainting is about the extent of my abilities!

Would you be willing so share some pictures of the helmets you've worked on? Would be great to see and maybe using as inspiration for what I am trying to achieve!

I'll start digging stuff out tonight and start some relevant threads, then post the links here so I don't derail from the main topic.

Which reminds me. Does anyone know what Hasbro's parts policy is? Anything from replacing lost blasters or missiles to cockpit canopies or wings... all the way up to if I wanted to get parts of a Black Series helmet without having to re-buy the entire thing? I am going to be starting my WIP thread for my Shadow Trooper helmet mod tonight or tomorrow, and from the work I've done so far... I gotta tell you, I am seriously in love with these earcaps. They fix the horrible asymmetry of the originals --

DSC02381_zpsn3xguwhu.jpg

-- as well as the horrible undersizing of the MR CE. I'd prefer not to buy a whole other helmet just for the earcaps to upgrade my MR CE... *sigh*

--Jonah

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back