Indy Magnoli's Hero Grail Diary... Finally!

Beautiful work! Very impressive details. Of course, who could expect anything else from you! I like the cover in particular.

I have owned one of your non-hero (i.e., as if the story were real) versions for probably a decade now and it's still the crown jewel. It includes several modifications including additional weathering and an authentic silver certificate.

Once again, bravo.

Here are some more photos with some notes of explanation for each spread:

The first set of endpapers for the diary including several inserts pasted to the first page. The French franc was made black-and-white first then colored by hand to match the original insert which was a hand-colored photocopy, unlike the actual 1899 silver certificate used later in the diary:
graildiary-magnoli10_zps32apydhs.jpg

This is one of my favorite pages because it is so inexplicable... it seems that for some reason a single text sheet (blank on the back) was given a quick spray-paint aging and then glued into the diary:
graildiary-magnoli11_zpscopbc1zh.jpg

Another MWNN insert:
graildiary-magnoli12_zpsu8xjztza.jpg

The classic spread:
graildiary-magnoli13_zpsnn7vfj7x.jpg

Another classic with watercolors:
graildiary-magnoli14_zpscojsstes.jpg

This shows the back side of the "X marks the spot" spread which is blank along with my Roman Numerals insert:
graildiary-magnoli15_zps2lhixwpp.jpg

This is an insert, not a spread... the only "leap from the lion's head" drawing in the hero diary:
graildiary-magnoli16_zpsrelhd5sp.jpg

Pencil-drawn additions to the back of another MWNN spread:
graildiary-magnoli17_zpslrgkmr0u.jpg

More watercolor "ink" stains copied carefully from the hero diary:
graildiary-magnoli18_zpsaig43ykl.jpg

Fold-out map insert with glued down, strangely cut-and-pasted almanac-page insert:
graildiary-magnoli19_zpszjwlfrky.jpg

The cover again with my rubbing. For years I was doing this in wax crayons, but for this one I decided to do it with high-quality coloring pencils and the detail came out much sharper:
graildiary-magnoli20_zpsy3nakol6.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Indy,

I've finally started to work on mine after years of research. I keep noticing differences in the props, and I'm wondering if you could shed some light.

I know that 5-7 diaries were made for the movie, and I'm noticing that between scenes, the elastic band switches orientation. Is that simply a difference between the Hero and the others?

Also, I can't find any evidence of that embossed cover anywhere in the film. Is that a personal preference, or was that actually on the hero prop?

Thanks for everything. You're the best.

I believe there were closer to a dozen diaries made. The elastic is a loose band, so it can be fitted either way.

All the originals had the embossed cover (most easily seen on the less distressed 1912 version), but on some of the 1938 props (especially the hero prop) the cover is so heavily aged that you can barely see the embossing anymore... but it's there. ;)

Is there any chance to get a good sceenshot / pic to get the pattern "replicated"? Never seen any "good enough" screenshot to figure out the look of the pattern :\
Or is there any pic of one of the originals out there (auctions / exhibitions, privat collections, etc.), to figure that out?

Would love to get an emossing tool done, but guess without having to change to inspect an original in Person, the chance to close to Zero...

As I said above, the pattern is clearly seen on the 1912 diary in the archives book:

1912Diary.jpg

Though, the pattern is reversed (facing the other way) on the hero prop.

Hello, Indy. I've been making the rounds as I research for my own diary project. Could you help me out with a couple questions.

Can you identify which pen + inks you used?

Can you identify the paper you used?

Did you freehand the illustrations or use some sort of aid?

Hello, Indy. I've been making the rounds as I research for my own diary project. Could you help me out with a couple questions.

I used several different pens. Paper is 28 lbs (104gsm) weight ivory paper. Illustrations are either drawn by hand (I use a light table to trace things I want perfectly lined up), or scanned from original sources.

If you're serious about replicating the Grail Diary... you MUST visit the Club Obi Wan GD forum: http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewforum.php?f=6

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back