Gonk Droid Build from Wood, Too!

VanOaksProps

Sr Member
After reading (and maybe coveting) @cornbread and @spacebob's power Gonk droid builds, I decided to tackle the prop for my own collection. I figured I'd move this to a new thread rather than hijack his thread anymore than I already have. Thank you both for sharing your knowledge!

I plan on building the Gonk from MDF, PVC and found parts. Additionally, I'm going to add in lights/sound that are Arduino powered and turn on/off by removing or installing a restraining bolt that has a magnet embedded in its core.

Since I don't have a truck or car large enough to handle full size sheets of MDF, I've designed my plans in 24x48" sheets, which I'll have printed up full-size as blueprints which I can temporarily affix to the sheets of wood for ease of cutting. Hopefully the guys at Home Depot will cut down a few sheets of MDF for me so that I don't have to buy the overpriced 24x48" sheets they sell for nearly $10 each (the 48x96" sheet of MDF sell for $25).

Based on a few RPF members notes & some illustrations I've found online, here's what my blueprint looks like:
Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 9.10.01 PM.png

I found, via the astromech forums, a .STL file for the restraining bolt, which I'm having 3D printed up as we speak. All non-structural parts will be either cut from 1/4" wood or will be a found part. Thankfully I have Apex parts here in L.A. which is a huge resource for random parts of all shapes and sizes. I don't think I'll have any problem finding a variety of greeblies for my Gonk droid.

And that's where I'm at. It's raining here in Los Angeles and I make it a point to keep my power tools turned off when it's raining as hard as it has been here the past few days.

Last edited:
IMG_4124.jpgIMG_4149.jpg

A few new parts. Two 2"-1 1/2" PVC reducers and a heatsink that I scavenged from an old subwoofer that I had found. And I had the restraining bolt 3D printed. I've given it two coats of filler primer, but it still needs quite a bit more to hide all those print lines.

Also, a bit of inspiration for this project:
Gonk 1_zpstlhfcdfa.jpg~original.jpg

Last edited:
The restraining bolt is finally sanded, primed, sanded, primed and sanded. LOL. Final paint and weathering won't be for awhile but I figured now would be a good time to start working on the electronics portion of the build.

My idea was to use the restraining bolt to trigger a series of sounds/lights when it's removed. A magnet affixed to the base of the restraining bolt will trigger the on/off programming on an Arduino. Thankfully I have friends who are skilled at this kind of stuff, otherwise I'd be sunk.

I hope to have some more regular progress on this build, but I just started a new job and I've been a zombie by the time the weekend rolls around. Fingers crossed!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back