Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Lol more cgi. :)

Ben
Man, I don't care how they do it, as long as it's a good film. It took a hundred years of film making to get a movie like star wars.

The prequels were the first real movies to work in a ton of cgi.

But there have been so many since. Look at serenity, galactica, or district 9. What about lord of the rings?

Of course we should be using practical sets for the actors to work with, but the peripherals also need to be fleshed out

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Has anyone considered that maybe Chewie got a new and more powerful model that Han had never fired before? His bowcaster never had that much of a kick in the OT.

This was bothering me too, but the above is a good explanation.

Maybe Han should have said something like nice upgrade.

I actually took one look at the bow caster and thought it looked different. The sound coming out of it was different, too... I just assumed it was a recent upgrade/acquisition.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This was bothering me too, but the above is a good explanation.

Maybe Han should have said something like nice upgrade.
It blows my mind that a couple little tweaks of dialogue could fix so much.

I always thought that the ONLY problem with ESB is that it seems to take the falcon a couple of hours to bespin, yet luke goes through rigorous training during the same time period.

All han had to do was mention having enough reserve food to make it there and the entire problem would have fixed itself

Man, I don't care how they do it, as long as it's a good film. It took a hundred years of film making to get a movie like star wars.

The prequels were the first real movies to work in a ton of cgi.

But there have been so many since. Look at serenity, galactica, or district 9. What about lord of the rings?

Of course we should be using practical sets for the actors to work with, but the peripherals also need to be fleshed out

Thats just it isn't it. To me it IS a good film. Perfect?No. And most agree. You think it's a bad film and that's fine but it's not a fact,which is how a lot of people that don't like it talk.Its all opinions. :)

Ben

Thats just it isn't it. To me it IS a good film. Perfect?No. And most agree. You think it's a bad film and that's fine but it's not a fact,which is how a lot of people that don't like it talk.Its all opinions. :)

Ben
My point is that it's not cgi that makes a bad film. Bad cgi contributes to a bad film.

My other point was that the originals used a lot of matte paintings to help establish the scope of the worlds.

He could have used a bit more cgi for the same effect. Instead, they approached cgi as if it is inherently bad and I do believe they sacrificed some of the world building because of it

My point is that it's not cgi that makes a bad film. Bad cgi contributes to a bad film.

My other point was that the originals used a lot of matte paintings to help establish the scope of the worlds.

He could have used a bit more cgi for the same effect. Instead, they approached cgi as if it is inherently bad and I do believe they sacrificed some of the world building because of it

Ok I get what you mean. For me a big appeal of this movie was its less is more tone. It had spfx but it never went over the top with them like many movies do these days and it never got in the way or took the focus off the actors. It did have lots of cgi but it had a great amount of practical too. I am a firm believer that a mix of cgi and practical is what works best and I think it's hard to find that balance. There was some cgi that I didn't like in this movie but most was good. For me it made the movie more realistic and grounded the way they executed it. The planets were more believable because they were real environments. I'm not a prequel basher as I enjoyed them for what they were but I lost touch with a lot of it because entire planets were cgi. They looked fantastic but they didn't feel real. TFA on the other hand felt organic. Yes a lot was rehash of planet types we'd already been to but I can forgive them for that.

Ben

Something I noticed on second viewing that I haven't seen mentioned yet: I liked the 3d on this movie. Felt like they did a really nice job with it. For me it was one of the rare times where it was worth it to put up with annoying glasses.

One of the star destroyer shots in particular really seemed to pop nicely.

Really all of the visuals made me happy. My opinion only, but for me it was one of the best mixes of practical and post effects films since the original trilogy.

Plot points aside, it was a visually stunning film.

(Edit: I agree with Ben above: I do love cgi. I'm definitely very solidly in the CG-is-good camp, but thought this movie was well served by the mix of cg and practical)

Noticed some editing in the scene where Finn pulls Poe aside to tell him he's being rescued. In one shot, Finn removes his helmet, he looks sweaty. Shot changes to Poe, then back to Finn, this time Finn's face is not so sweaty. Shot changes to Poe, then back again, this time Finn's face has beaded up with sweat again. Not nit picking - I love the movie. Just little stuff you pick after a few viewings in funny.

Does anyone think that Rey and Finn actually know Kylo is Han's son? I dont think Han would have mentioned that to them on the way to Starkiller base, and they probably couldnt hear what was being said on the bridge.

huh, yeah that's a really good point...

I think in the narrative it's assumed Finn and Rey know what we as the audience know about their relationship. But yeah I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned to anyone. If it were a secret, or just an unknown, the film would have needed to show a scene depicting the characters not knowing.

Then again... does anyone in the resistance know he's their son? Han and Leia always talk about him in private.

he never tried, I bet he could have . I still say deflecting a bolt of laser off your palm is way more ballsy than stopping it midair.

It would be more ballsy if it was a real hand. Vader probably had a closet full of robotic hands just in case a blaster bolt made it through his powers. [emoji12]

Ironic both films are simply recycled plots directly lifted from better films.

****edit***

I may have spoken a bit harshly before, so I've cleared this.

I will keep the gist of what I'd said: that most of us like the movie in this thread, and while we don't mind criticisms being voiced--if they are framed intelligently-- what I think most of us get torqued off at is when someone just makes a statement like "it's a recycled plot". We already know that... in the case of TFA I think it was partially intentional because this film sort of works like a bridge between what happened thirty years ago and today.

I just get sick of amateurish pot shots like that. Come up with a good critique if you're going to.

Also, I don't necessarily think ANH is "better" than TFA. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. One strength that ANH has over TFA is that it has existed for three decades, and has had all of that time to endear itself to us.

There is no way at all that Dances with Wolves or Pocohontas and better films than Avatar. Again, they each have their good and bad points. But if I had to choose which I would have to sit down and watch, it would be Avatar by 12 parsecs before it would be Dances or Pocohontas.

Last edited:
For me the funny thing is, I don't necessarily disagree with some of the criticisms leveled at the film. However, most of them I just don't find to be nearly so catastrophic as some apparently do. For me, the good outweighed the nitpicks I had and the fact that the plot borrows from ANH. It's not perfect, but I think a lot of the imperfections are overshadowed by what did work. Surely not across the board but I think a good many people that don't like it had made up their mind they wouldn't like it a long time ago and/or went in with their perceptions of how things should be in a GFFA and when that turned out not to be the case, got upset.

I think in the narrative it's assumed Finn and Rey know what we as the audience know about their relationship. But yeah I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned to anyone. If it were a secret, or just an unknown, the film would have needed to show a scene depicting the characters not knowing.

Then again... does anyone in the resistance know he's their son? Han and Leia always talk about him in private.

Max Von Sydow's character and Kylo obviously have known each other for a long time, so it's safe to assume that he knows.

For me the funny thing is, I don't necessarily disagree with some of the criticisms leveled at the film. However, most of them I just don't find to be nearly so catastrophic as some apparently do. For me, the good outweighed the nitpicks I had and the fact that the plot borrows from ANH. It's not perfect, but I think a lot of the imperfections are overshadowed by what did work. Surely not across the board but I think a good many people that don't like it had made up their mind they wouldn't like it a long time ago and/or went in with their perceptions of how things should be in a GFFA and when that turned out not to be the case, got upset.

Yeah, my main issues with the film: pacing a little too fast, Rathtar sequence was kind of silly, Phasma criminally under utilized. She should have been the trooper who faced Finn and Finn should have barely escaped. Because we didn't know Leia's emissary on Hosnian Prime it's destruction was a bit hollow and empty emotionally.

I thought the acting by the new crew, Boyega, Isaac, Ridley, and Driver was fantastic. Harrison was a little shaky at first but eventually settled in to being Han Solo. It was great to see him again. Carrie was the weakest link imho. The scene where Poe introduces Finn to Leia was awkward. I felt like she was reading her lines off a TelePrompTer over Finn's shoulder.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ secret little Ewok

http://www.slashgear.com/theres-a-little-ewok-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens-29420266/

ewok.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back