Han Solo Force Awakens Blaster is HFC (and now also a Maurshin) m712 airsoft pistol

Re: Han Solo Force Awakens Blaster is not a c96

Even since the handgun ban?
I imagine that if it is possible to use real handguns at all, the amount of red tape would make more hassle than it is worth.

Don't forget that there really isn't any need for these guns to be functional.
They are supposed to be laser guns from another galaxy after all.

In ANH, they used blanks in the E11 blasters, presumably for effects cues, and this had the unwanted side effect of ejected empty casings being visible in some frames.

With the technology that filmmakers have today, there is absolutely no need to use blanks in a blaster.

If they were filming a war film or something, then realistic firearms would be necessary, but Star Wars, not so much.

Using real firearms in UK productions is not an issue as long as requirements are met. You can even go online and find prop companies who rent out practical, deactivated, and replica firearms such as http://www.foxtrot-productions.co.uk.

If my search has led me correctly, I believe these are the terms the UK govt has put in place for movie/tv productions using firearms: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/etis20.pdf

Guys,

I understand they can use a real weapon if they wanted to. My question is, why would they want to? For about $150 they can buy an airsoft version that they can cut up to their hearts content (I doubt a weapons rental company is gonna want to cut up a weapon worth north of $10,000), and since there is no need for it to actually fire, Robert is your mother's brother.

Not that it matters. We don;t even know if that's an accurate representation of the prop! :)

Guys,

I understand they can use a real weapon if they wanted to. My question is, why would they want to? For about $150 they can buy an airsoft version that they can cut up to their hearts content (I doubt a weapons rental company is gonna want to cut up a weapon worth north of $10,000), and since there is no need for it to actually fire, Robert is your mother's brother.

Not that it matters. We don;t even know if that's an accurate representation of the prop! :)

The same reason that they always have? Timing the blast live with the laser effect that gets added. Also gives you real discharge smoke etc. It just feels more real....which seems to be something JJ is all about.

-Ss

The same reason that they always have? Timing the blast live with the laser effect that gets added. Also gives you real discharge smoke etc. It just feels more real....which seems to be something JJ is all about.

-Ss

Harrison is all about it, too. He used blank firing props in the OT SW films. He requested it.

I remember hearing somewhere a while back, that when filming began the production bought all the airsoft guns or something. (Was this on a force for change video?) I assumed it was for the stormies, maybe they got the only airsoft mausers they could find.

-Ss

If that were the case, wouldn't it make sense to go for the much cheaper and easier to come by C96, which would have the added benefit of matching the original prop? Just sayin'....

If that were the case, wouldn't it make sense to go for the much cheaper and easier to come by C96, which would have the added benefit of matching the original prop? Just sayin'....

My comment wan't about which gun would be better for firing blanks, it was about real vs. airsoft. I have no idea which blank firing weapon was easier to get for this. I'm speculating, same as the rest of us.

-Ss

That's an odd mash-up of the usual hero flash-hider, with the GK mounting screw, isn't it? Weird.

New pic.

image.jpg

Saw the character posters this afternoon, was going to post this up but you beat me to it!

That's an airsoft gas blow back magazine for sure!

Bull barrel looks...different and held on with a hex screw?

Two smaller holes in the flash hider - seems to be held with a set screw?

I have been staring at the pics from various places but I can not tell the difference in the C-96 Airsoft and the M712 airsoft.

Can someone help me out??

Thanks

Tom

Last edited:

So, if thats indeed the actual filming prop and its an airsoft, then its based off the 712, NOT the 1896. There are no 1896 airsofts that I've ever seen.

i still think it's odd they went with an airsoft and different model mauser as opposed to even a denix. Maybe with more space in the gun they have electronics for timing effects?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back