My First Thread, MPC Millennium Falcon Build

Looking great,.....although,....doublle-check your references for that curvature,.....in your photos it looks perhaps exaggerated

Now is the time to get it right,......

J

It does look that way from the pics :)

the centre section has got to be angled down and filler peices put in. i made sure the curve was right before i glued it down aswell and i have checked it against a few different sources for reference.

when the bottom saucer is done and the madibles are on i think it will seem alot thinner, but on its own it does look very dished and fat. the 5 footer is a beefy ship i must say.

Thanks for the heads up tho and thanks for viewing, its always nice to have a dialog about projects im doing and any advice is always appreciated.

I wondered the same thing John....hard to tell from the photos though, but either way it's miles better than the pancake the kit originally was. When in doubt though: reference photos ! If it IS a bit off, as John said, now is definitely the time to fix it

e31eb56502fac27150d6713a4db43cb2.jpg

3c1b266b69aaff9a1c4ec9acfcf207f9.jpg

b84749a95d2d5e0289e74c3af82190e8.jpg

d169260dbb5cd6573e365eba0e902513.jpg

I wondered the same thing John....hard to tell from the photos though, but either way it's miles better than the pancake the kit originally was. When in doubt though: reference photos ! If it IS a bit off, as John said, now is definitely the time to fix it

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e3/1e/b5/e31eb56502fac27150d6713a4db43cb2.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3c/1b/26/3c1b266b69aaff9a1c4ec9acfcf207f9.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b8/47/49/b84749a95d2d5e0289e74c3af82190e8.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d1/69/26/d169260dbb5cd6573e365eba0e902513.jpg

It must be my camera distorting the image or somthing, i use a 720p webcam which isnt the greatest. here are a couple more pics head on this time:

WIN_20151128_04_51_09_Pro.jpgWIN_20151128_04_50_29_Pro.jpgWIN_20151128_04_48_25_Pro.jpgWIN_20151128_04_50_12_Pro.jpg

Thanks for those pics, i did use the first pic as a reference.

The only issuse i think i have is the cockpit tube is not angled in enough. i can easile fix that tho :)

I got working on the bottom saucer. and decided i needed to sample the fruits of my labor :)

you can see the reinforcement i put in to help strenghten the hull, it also makes it easier to mount all the other peices to something.

These are a few stages of the work.
WIN_20151130_14_50_43_Pro.jpgWIN_20151130_14_50_33_Pro.jpgWIN_20151130_14_50_04_Pro.jpgWIN_20151130_14_49_57_Pro.jpgWIN_20151130_14_49_47_Pro.jpgWIN_20151130_14_49_01_Pro.jpg

And a sneaky peak at the parts together :)

WIN_20151130_19_38_49_Pro.jpgWIN_20151130_14_52_10_Pro.jpgWIN_20151130_19_37_01_Pro.jpgWIN_20151130_19_37_53_Pro.jpg

More updates soon....

Really impressive Roboted, that's what I call a major do over.

Thanks dude. its been a long journey to get here lol. Im very OCD so until its finished i cant focus on other projects, its very rewarding knowing what it used to look like. i go to bed at night going through what i need to do the next day. My day job comes very low on the list of priorities lol.

Thanks dude. its been a long journey to get here lol. Im very OCD so until its finished i cant focus on other projects, its very rewarding knowing what it used to look like. i go to bed at night going through what i need to do the next day. My day job comes very low on the list of priorities lol.

Hmmm, sounds familiar to me :lol

Hey Robert where did you get that PVC pipe for the cockpit tunnel? I've decided to replace mine as I simply detailed over the tunnel the MPC kit came with...too flat !

Hey Robert where did you get that PVC pipe for the cockpit tunnel? I've decided to replace mine as I simply detailed over the tunnel the MPC kit came with...too flat !

Howdy Will. I got it from B&Q. its a sandard size plumbing coupler, its 32mm. That isnt the overall diameter but the size of pipe it is meant to join. the 40mm coupler was too big.

Heres the exact one i got: http://www.diy.com/departments/floplast-abs-solvent-weld-waste-coupler-dia32mm-white/259291_BQ.prd

Im hopefully getting that present you sent me tommorow. eagerly waiting lol. I managed to do a bunch of jobs today on the MPC, so pics will soon be uploaded. funnily enough i made a peice to fill the gap between the cockpit tube and the saucer.

I also put some of your resin greeblies to good use on the engine deck. they look so much nicer than the ones i made. great stuff :)

Howdy Will. I got it from B&Q. its a sandard size plumbing coupler, its 32mm. That isnt the overall diameter but the size of pipe it is meant to join. the 40mm coupler was too big.

Heres the exact one i got: http://www.diy.com/departments/floplast-abs-solvent-weld-waste-coupler-dia32mm-white/259291_BQ.prd

Im hopefully getting that present you sent me tommorow. eagerly waiting lol. I managed to do a bunch of jobs today on the MPC, so pics will soon be uploaded. funnily enough i made a peice to fill the gap between the cockpit tube and the saucer.

I also put some of your resin greeblies to good use on the engine deck. they look so much nicer than the ones i made. great stuff :)

Thanks pal I'm gonna hit up Wickes tomorrow and see what I can get my mitts on.
I sent off your package later yesterday afternoon on my way home from work so in theory it should arrive early tomorrow...? Anyways keep us posted, whack those photos up !

Awesome - I'm in awe of the work going into some of these MFs on here.

I'm about to start cutting up the Saucer on my MPC. I can see where to make the various cuts on the saucers sections but have you guys cut through between the cockpit corridor and the saucer. I'm wondering how to keep the 'spine'? of the corridor level if I bend the rest of the hull (down) to meet the sidewalls. I have looked at ref' photos and it doesn't look perfectly level, but I needed to ask.

++oh hang on, I see.....

Last edited:
Hi Ecuas, welcome to the MPC fun :)

I did bend the saucer with the cockpit tube intact but it ended up being too low. Just cut it down the sides and when the saucer is all glued and dried then level it by eye. the reference photos are the best way to find its place, Im sure you are more than aware of that so sorry if i sound like a know it all or somthing.

As stated early in the thread, it can be easy to go too far with the curve. Your making the right moves by sorting the geometry first before building the landing gear boxes (if your going ESB falcon) and adding greeblies as they might fall off or no longer fit. I had issues because i steamed forward before taking the plunge and fixing the curvature.

Dont forget if you havnt already, check out haystackhairs thread. that helped me the most of all places and the pics are stunning.

Good luck with the build, i look forward to seeing what your gonna do and how you do it.

Roboted, you are doing an incredible job on this old MPC kit! You got the curvature of the saucer right and all the details look like the 5 footer. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Awesome - I'm in awe of the work going into some of these MFs on here.

I'm about to start cutting up the Saucer on my MPC. I can see where to make the various cuts on the saucers sections but have you guys cut through between the cockpit corridor and the saucer. I'm wondering how to keep the 'spine'? of the corridor level if I bend the rest of the hull (down) to meet the sidewalls. I have looked at ref' photos and it doesn't look perfectly level, but I needed to ask.

++oh hang on, I see.....

My latest MPC is currently in more than a dozen pieces, and I'm about ready to trash the whole darn thing.
I HATE this model.
GFAHHHH!!!
Good luck, friend.

I have done some filler work and some structural stuff, i also done a tiny bit of greeblie work.

I had to re-do the landing gear stuff, because of the saucer curving change. The rear box was sitting at an angle.Also i added the docking ring housing peices and used some milliput fine to fill and strengthen the gaps. Im going through alot of super glue at the moment, it does a great job to hold peices where you need them and fast. Liquid cement just takes too long to go tacky i find.

WIN_20151203_21_14_05_Pro.jpgWIN_20151203_21_14_18_Pro.jpgWIN_20151203_21_14_49_Pro.jpg

I made one of the bottom pit areas, trying to get it close to the original with the inner structure that is exposed. I still need top thin the panel with the notches i made as its slightly to thick at the edge.

WIN_20151203_21_15_36_Pro.jpgWIN_20151203_21_16_30_Pro.jpgWIN_20151203_21_17_06_Pro.jpg

The centre section tapered pieces were added. i still need to lower that section toward the hull. I will have to add some innner structure to give it something to hold on, (hope that makes sense lol)
WIN_20151203_21_18_04_Pro.jpgWIN_20151203_21_18_19_Pro.jpg

And finally some greeblies. I changed out some on the engine deck with Haystack Hairs glorious resin parts.
WIN_20151203_21_19_42_Pro.jpgWIN_20151203_21_19_57_Pro.jpg

Many thanks for viewing :)

Last edited:
Good to see updates Rob! Have those parts arrived yet? I posted them off at 9:30 on Friday morning....

Howdy. They got to me this morning. Many Thanks for the parts. They will be very useful :)

The dish does have issues. some of the detail looks like it didnt mold all that well and it seems a bit too small for the falcon so i will probably just take the greeblies off the back and use the one i have.

The inner mandibles are molded fine but i think i will harvest the greeblies from them too, and make some a little closer to the 5 footer.

Thanks again for the recorded postage and the extra greeblies, I have already put those to good use :)

Last edited:
Howdy. They got to me this morning. Many Thanks for the parts. They will be very useful :)

The dish does have issues. some of the detail looks like it didnt mold all that well and it seems a bit too small for the falcon so i will probably just take the greeblies off the back and use the one i have.

The inner mandibles are molded fine but i think i will harvest the greeblies from them too, and make some a little closer to the 5 footer.

Thanks again for the recorded postage and the extra greeblies, I have already put those to good use :)

The radar mould is on its last legs, it had started to tear when I was casting yours :(
As for the size of it though, it's 100% correct! The jawbox, cockpit tunnel, docking rings and radar should all be the same size on a Falcon (in this case approx. 40mm)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back