WIP Iron Man Mark 46 (Civil War suit) Model

Heres what I've done so far;
b37588c77b27f90abd7ac18ec1d7cd52.jpg
temporarily stuck together with masking tape

~
G

I decided to resume building my Mark 46 while taking a short break from modeling War Machine Mark 3. This photo doesn't show much, but I've finished building the chest and the back and I had built the arms quite a long time ago.

View attachment 625242

That looks amazing!

I'm using 5mm for mine and will put 1mm and 2mm sintra inside to make it more sturdier.

Since I don't want to start another I'll just post my suit here since I used Jung's files. If you have questions regarding the build itself, just ask. Also Jung, u can post the pics on the 1st page if you want

That looks outstanding! Can't wait to see your build finished, Jung ^^ One quick question tho, how are you guys handling the waist piece? Is it just one flush piece with the chest? Isn't that uncomfortable for maneuverability? And also are you guys using straps for the legs? The suit looks so cool but it also has a really seamless look (at least in the chest-abs area) and I want to try to replicate that as best I can :/

That looks outstanding! Can't wait to see your build finished, Jung ^^ One quick question tho, how are you guys handling the waist piece? Is it just one flush piece with the chest? Isn't that uncomfortable for maneuverability? And also are you guys using straps for the legs? The suit looks so cool but it also has a really seamless look (at least in the chest-abs area) and I want to try to replicate that as best I can :/
I decided to trade off torso mobility with the seamless look. But it isn't really that uncomfortable. I mean I don't dance or do some stunts with the suit so it's ok

I decided to trade off torso mobility with the seamless look. But it isn't really that uncomfortable. I mean I don't dance or do some stunts with the suit so it's ok

Okay but then how do you even slip in the suit haha? Because even narrow-ish suits are a paint to get in, so I usually slip on the abs and then add the torso.. Would you mind maybe showing how you get in the suit? Where you put clips or something, I'm super curious haha :D

Oh god the back looks BEAUTIFUL. Man I'm falling more and more in love with the Mk 46.

... wow okay... So the foam is still pretty flexible then, huh? Doesn't it crack with the sealant you used on the foam? And did you fix the zipper with hot glue or contact cement? Sorry I'm asking so many questions haha it's just that it's so different from any build I've seen before.

I glued it with contact cement and enforced it with 3mm craft foam
uploadfromtaptalk1464071669467.jpg
The sealant I use is flexible. The eva foam I use is dense enough that it only flexes a little

Excellent work here, very skilled from just modelling based on images. One of the largest problems for me doing the rest of the armor (busy 3D-ing the mask after a foam build of it) is the scale. Scaling for different sizes of humans is hard :(

Excellent work here, very skilled from just modelling based on images. One of the largest problems for me doing the rest of the armor (busy 3D-ing the mask after a foam build of it) is the scale. Scaling for different sizes of humans is hard :(
Scaling the model is the most important part. The proportions should be good. It's not your problem as a modeler if the body type of a person is off the scale of the suit. The builders should learn how to add length or cut off pieces and attain the same sale of the suit. I often see people having a larger scale of the chest than the rest of the suit.

Maybe I should make a tutorial

Scaling the model is the most important part. The proportions should be good. It's not your problem as a modeler if the body type of a person is off the scale of the suit. The builders should learn how to add length or cut off pieces and attain the same sale of the suit. I often see people having a larger scale of the chest than the rest of the suit.

Maybe I should make a tutorial 

yes please

I glued it with contact cement and enforced it with 3mm craft foam
View attachment 628110
The sealant I use is flexible. The eva foam I use is dense enough that it only flexes a little

Is the sealant just a matter of using Plastidip? I've heard that's pretty flexible but it's kind of hard to get where I am so I don't want to buy a can 'just to test it out'.

That being said, I totally get what you mean with people usually over-scaling the chest or whatever! I usually just try and see if whatever is on the suit at a given point is on my body in the same spot haha, but after a while you start seeing the pieces you need to shorten/enlarge for yourself. Trial and error I suppose.

Is the sealant just a matter of using Plastidip? I've heard that's pretty flexible but it's kind of hard to get where I am so I don't want to buy a can 'just to test it out'.

That being said, I totally get what you mean with people usually over-scaling the chest or whatever! I usually just try and see if whatever is on the suit at a given point is on my body in the same spot haha, but after a while you start seeing the pieces you need to shorten/enlarge for yourself. Trial and error I suppose.
I don't use plasti dip as sealant. I use acrylic emulsion.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back