Solo: A Star Wars Story

Actually the Chris Pine/William Shatner Captain Kirk analogy works well and is what I'm personally hoping to walk away with once I see Solo. Kirk is my favorite Enterprise captain hands down and Kirk is Shatner, so when I heard Chris Pine was cast I was nervous but ended up LOVING the reboots of Star Trek. So I'm hoping Alden can do the same.

Some highlights from an in depth interview with Alden in Esquire. It's worth a read.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/201...ich-talks-firings-hirings-and-hans-pants.html

Regarding his casting..

"We wanted someone who presented as a pirate but had a big heart underneath,” Lord tells me via email. “An impression of Harrison Ford would have felt like an extended Saturday Night Live sketch,” Miller adds. “We wanted someone who could evoke the spirit of the iconic performance we all remember while bringing something new and fresh. We talked a little bit about how Chris Pine, playing Captain Kirk, didn’t do a Shatner voice, and brought his own spin to the character while still evoking the vibe of the character. We felt Alden did the same with Han Solo.”

Still doesn't explain why they chose someone with little acting ability and zero charisma.

They had one job!

Last edited by a moderator:
And they were fired.

I still don't buy that they messed up the movie...

This was a stupid panic move made because they went from Rogue One - which was Star Wars with no fun whatsoever, to a screening of this, which was probably more in line with GOTG V2 for humor, and they panicked.

They saw they made money on "miserable and no fun" and then watched "comedic and fun" and went "oh no! How do we make this more miserable?!!?"

It'll be like the reverse of David Ayer Suicide Squad... "Oh man look how miserable this is and how fun GOTG is! let's retool it!" and so you end up with a mess.

Start a vision and finish it. Stop second guessing. Don't follow the puck! Go where the puck is going to be...

DC follows the puck and look at that crap fest of movies.

I still don't buy that they messed up the movie...

Start a vision and finish it. Stop second guessing. Don't follow the puck! Go where the puck is going to be...

Ok, but also know when to cut your losses. I'm not in "the biz" but I'm going to assume that a movie production isn't as predictable as the laws of physics.

Anyway, the hiring of L&M never made sense to me in the first place. Much like many people who don't see Alden as a good fit, I felt the same way about Lord & Miller.

Ok, but also know when to cut your losses. I'm not in "the biz" but I'm going to assume that a movie production isn't as predictable as the laws of physics.

Anyway, the hiring of L&M never made sense to me in the first place. Much like many people who don't see Alden as a good fit, I felt the same way about Lord & Miller.

That's where it gets ridiculous, cuz no one will ever know. Lord and Miller are more than competent directors and were working with a likely good script.

They're proven to know how to land a joke (Rian could use a lesson or two) but the jokey movie following the abysmal war movie screwed them.

I'm guessing this movie played like "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". Meaning if you followed "Raiders" with "Crusade", they would tonally be in different worlds. WAY jokier in Crusade. Like if they released Raiders, then a month later they're watching dailies or a rough cut of Last Crusade, the notes back would be "Why is this a dumb joke comedy?!"

But I bet this would have been the most fun Star Wars flick. And I don't buy the "fart jokes" bit... I think that's a crusty 70 year old not getting it.

I'm currently working on a flick where 30 year old storyboarders are making the entire room laugh, and then the 50+ year old directors are cutting out the jokes cuz they don't "get why that's funny"...

And as a standalone flick, this could've been a funny, western, adventure flick.

The only thing we'll soon know is if the casting of AE was a disaster...and I don't know that it was... so far I'm not seeing anything I like, but I haven't seen much that looks awful either.

But maybe he can pull a River Phoenix....

Lord and Miller are more than competent directors and were working with a likely good script.

I don't know of any evidence that they could handle a remotely serious movie. The fact that they can make ridiculous-but-good movies doesn't prove much about somebody's ability to do serious stuff. 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' is a good movie by that yardstick too.

I was not opposed to the idea of giving them a shot on 'Solo.' But Lucasfilm should have known all along that L & M might be in over their heads. Lucasfilm could have made L & M co-directors with someone else from the beginning. Let them do their goofy takes, but also have another director there for a few "straight" takes just to keep the bases covered. It would have saved many millions of dollars, months of delays, and bad press.

Last edited:
I don't know of any evidence that they could handle a remotely serious movie. The fact that they can make ridiculous-but-good movies doesn't prove much about somebody's ability to do serious stuff. 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' is a good movie by that yardstick too.

Exact same thing could be said for the Russo Brothers, and that worked out pretty darn well for Disney.

Before Disney gave them their break, their experience was almost exclusively TV comedy shows (though, admittedly, some great ones – like Arrested Development and Community - but still mixed in with a lot of forgettable sitcoms and comedy specials). Oh, yeah-and “You, Me and Dupree” with Owen Wilson.

Yet they gave us the two best Captain America films and now what appears to be both a blockbuster and a critical success in Avengers: Infinity War.

M

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back