Mad Max: Fury Road - Nux Bird Bobblehead

Might break? Will break. My original sculpt has broken a number of times now (that's what you get for using Sculpey) and it's always been at the same places which, funny enough, coincides with where the original part broke. So if it's going to break, at least it will be accurate to the original prop!

When I sculpted mine I left the beak solid as I was afraid the thing would break as I think@that time PPP had one break on him.If there is anyone in the UK. itching to make one of these I have several skulls (resin) with the correct eye hardware moulded several bases of varying sizes few bottom jaws again resin but they are the weak area on my bobbleheads as I moulded mine and if they drop onto floor its bye bye to that. anyway they are here .When I think of that its a kit only needs a spring and Your done.

Just got mine in the mail and holy cow! These things are t-i-n-y, tiny! The ones I'm making now are way more substantial if the original prop is this small; I would have to say mine is at least 2 times larger!

I may end up having to make a replica of the one I got to fit with my skull and jaw because these things are unbelievably small.

Last edited:
Haha, I feel like I said that! Did I say that? I said that!

By my measurements based on the couplings the bird skull is right around 4" and the lower jaw just over 4 - what size is your skull? It can't be that much more gigantic, definitely not twice the size!

Sorry to hear it wasn't a panacea for you!

PPP.Just got mine in the mail and holy cow! These things are t-i-n-y, tiny! The ones I'm making now are way more substantial if the original prop is this small; I would have to say mine is at least 2 times larger
I may end up having to make a replica of the one I got to fit with my skull and jaw because these things are unbelievably small.

Ithink I alienated people on this thread by saying that PPP. Yes I agree the base may indeed be a couupling of that ilk but as I have said all along it is too small that is why I have so many of these things.I have an inch coupling and it looks miniscule however it is the right style maybe in Oz they have larger sizes when I saw it for the very first time the coupling on fire engine hoses sprang to mind albeit they are greatly oversize. but there must be a intermediate size available or not? As Logan states physicaly the 3/4 and the inch are identical size save the spigot but I am convinced a bigger coupling was used .My crow skull was made around 100mmm give or take the odd mm which seems to be the general size the spring is around 22mm-25mm od -50-75mm long it all adds up but the coupling is the odd man out.

Last edited:
I have been following this thread and everyone did a great job providing the information to recreate this crafty dash ornament. I wanted to share my submission to the table and thank everyone for their hard work.

IMG_20150802_110109282.jpg

Looks great Magnum! Did you use a real wiper for the lower jaw?

Clarence, we all still love you. The size of the fittings in real life was surprising all around, like I said before they turned out to be a bit like Tom Cruise, when you meet him in real life he comes up just to the beltline, barely. You did us a service to notice the feet sticking out of the base, which helped get us on the path to finding the right part. The fact is that Minsup does not produce any variations in body size of their couplings in this style. You can read the last letters of the brand name in screenshots, in the same position it exists on the actual piece. It also matches when measured in profile with the prop skull scaled to 100mm, as you indicated yours is. Those things, along with the 100% match in shape/profile from the screenshots to the 3/4" coupling indicates definitively that it is the correct part. I don't intend to sound defensive, I just want to make sure the facts are presented clearly.

The one possible way it could be larger is if the production molded the coupling and the skull and cast them in expanding resin - or, very carefully sculpted slightly larger versions of each, which we may believe as we like I suppose.

Awwww shucks Logan I bet You say that to all the Clarences.You are presenting the fact very eloquently however when that base is employed and I haven,t considered using the 1" version I have for the simple reason it doesn't look right. at least not to me however I will now move on to other things as a thing made from scrap has caused me nightmares by the way I love your gearstick /shifter knob excellent work. MachinistMagnum nice job on the crazy crow. i am now going to sit in a quiet room and count the hairs on the palm of my right hand. If all else fails I can count how many bloody wobbling crows I now have in my collection.

I did, the skull is a resin raven head from amazon, lower jaw is a rear window wiper blade from a jeep cherokee, his eyes are 1/2 13 acorn nuts, the base is stainless steel turned to shape, the pin was scrap and just a random spring. Here are some other pics of the work in progress.
IMG_20150731_102016511.jpg
IMG_20150731_100452869.jpg
IMG_20150731_153411241.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150802_075634236.jpg
    IMG_20150802_075634236.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 357
Haha, I feel like I said that! Did I say that? I said that!

By my measurements based on the couplings the bird skull is right around 4" and the lower jaw just over 4 - what size is your skull? It can't be that much more gigantic, definitely not twice the size!

Sorry to hear it wasn't a panacea for you!

Maybe two times was an exaggeration:p but it looks so small in relation to my skull and base; it was just a bit jarring. My skull is roughly 4.75" with the jaw closer to 5" and the coupler I use is about the size of the entire minsup coupler. I guess I like my birds with a bit more meat. :lol
'

Still, if it weren't for your unwavering efforts in finding these parts, we wouldn't be in this mess.;)

Well, here's something fun:

Just finished these up for the last group of people who ordered them through my Etsy shop and they're all updated with the new rounded "left eye".

View attachment 496453

But, whether fortunately or unfortunately, they aren't the perfectly rounded green-painted-black marbles or eyes (or whatever they are) as the original seems to indicate. No, because of my skull, I had to settle for something that I could get away with within budget and still, at least, resemble the original thing.

View attachment 496455

They're casts of modified carriage bolts I picked up from the hardware store. They're hemispherical so they sit better against the "eye cavity" of my bird skull. Same goes with the nut; can't use an acorn nut, gotta stay true with the hex.

One thing that I'm not going to change in light of the new stuff discovered in this thread is the guide rod. It's practicality of helping keep my bobble stable (from wobbling so far it becomes unbalanced) is too handy to sacrifice. It's going to remain a steel rod, for me.

are you making more? id 100% be down for one
what were you shifting these at?

Well, here's this... I think I finished last of everyone here! :facepalm

2_low.jpg1_low.jpg3_low.jpg

A lot of blood sweat and tears on this little dude, as you all know I'm sure! Mostly tears though. Couldn't find a 100% match for the wiper, and I'm all about accuracy, so the lower jaw is completely patterned and water cut from steel - real acorn nut eye, clear cast marble for left eye. I sculpted the skull and cast from Task 6 from Smooth On. Ordered a length of the custom braided double straight tracer ignition wire I mentioned a while back and that's the 'guide rod' down the middle. Base is urethane resin with an m5 bolt. A whole lot of setup for such a little, seemingly harmless prop! Whew.

Good job Logan looks the dogs doodahs .It has been a liong bumpy road this little fellah.I am relieved its all over the bloody thing sent me nuts.I am now onto other things Soooooo Good job everyone there are some nice bobbleheds around now . We maybe closet anoraks but theres not much we cannot sort out between us.

I haven't, but probably will end up doing that for security - solder or JB weld - the washer against a spring thing doesn't seem like the most secure long term attachment for a bobble. I'll keep it there for looks sake.

Stellar work as always, Logan! Seeing what you managed makes me all the more excited on wrapping up my redux coupler base (I couldn't abide by how small the real thing is), just waiting for the materials to show up.

I'm a bit late to the party here but I'm building one of these guys myself. I have to ask, what are people using inside the birds mouth for the triangular heatsink looking thing? I'm to the point of bending up a fork or something because I can't figure it out!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back