Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Does anyone happen to have a picture of their bracer laid out flat? I need to wrap my head around the pattern that Division 6 laid out a bit better. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of their bracer laid out flat? I need to wrap my head around the pattern that Division 6 laid out a bit better. Any help would be appreciated.

The pattern is it laid out flat. Assuming your leather isn't too thick (like mine), it's two pieces of leather cut exactly the same way and glued with the backs together. Dark side up, 2" flat edge aligned with the outer edge of your wrist, wrap the flap around towards your body (clockwise around your wrist from your view) and put it through the first large slits/cuts. Then bend it back the other way (counterclockwise) and now the lighter side will face up. Bring it around and put it through the 2nd largest slit. Then it should go a couple inches more, and then the tan portion will go back through itself in the last and smallest slit.

This is is my dark colored piece with no slits. The other cut was too thick so I am going to have to figure something else out for the tan cut out. I hope this helps! I was confused on how it worked too. It helps to cut it out of paper and play with it.

image.jpeg

Thanks Zyphe, that sort of makes sense, lol, The paper is a good idea, I will play with that before heading to the leather. Where are the two pieces glued together then? From end to end on the back, or just partially glued together? Thanks again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My dyeing adventures went terribly.

I attempted Lexi's option 3, mixing the two colors together for a more expedient dyeing process. It did not go well. The colors came out very patchy, so I ended up trying the remover. The remover got the color to a light baby blue and somehow created a few rusty-looking spots on the viscose. I tried the Safari Gray again with more patchy results. A third go at the gray proved that stirring regularly wasn't enough, and I ended up burning the fabric.

Looks like I'll be missing the premiere for this costume. :unsure

Did you use the soda ash and non iodized salt?
Mix both dyes together in a cup of hot water then add to the water.
i just used a heaping spoon full of each. (used a disposable tea spoon)

Ok, so I have been working on the hairstyle, modifying the video on the thread. I don't have any pictures, but, along with the video, it's pretty simple. NOTE: Read this entire message before attempting this hairstyle.

So, for once, long hair isn't the best thing to have to recreate a female main character from Star Wars's hairstyle! Huzzah! However, I do think you need at least shoulder length hair to attempt, but you probably could do it with shorter hair as well. In the beginning of the video, she has you section off the bang section of the hairline and put it in an elastic. Try doing more of a triangle section with the broad bottom being the bang section and the point being halfway between you hairline and your crown. This will not only prevent the front from puffing too much, but also keep the elastic, especially the clear kind I have, mostly out of sight of all but the tallest of onlookers.

The key difference between the video and the actual hairstyle is that Rey's 'buns' are not the same size, but the video's are equal. When you have the bang triangle done, section off about a fourth to half an inch below the from of it on either side of your face. Gather that and the wimpy little ponytail from a bang triangle about at the crown of your head, a little lower than where, if you were a cheerleader from the U.S, you would put a high ponytail. Fold that ponytail under to create a loop and if it looks small and maybe even a little silly, about 2 inches long, wrap it with an elastic. Adjust it as needed and pin the left over ponytail, if you have any, out of the way for now. You don't want to have it caught in the next step. Also, if you hair is short enough that you, at any time, don't have any left over ponytail, save yourself a headache and go out and buy those tiny hair elastics in a color close to your hair's. Might be a good idea anyway,

So, the next step is very free hand. With your leftover loose hair, your need to section it so that the middle 'bun' will be smaller than the bottom 'bun', but larger than the top one. I'm guessing it will be about one third or a little more of your loose hair. Repeat making the hair loop from above, except making it larger than the first one, i.e. this one will flop down a little more. After you have that adjusted to you liking, and comparing to reference pics ;), again pin the leftover ponytail out of the way again.

Create the bottom 'bun' in the same way, but larger with the remaining loose hair and then we are ready to wrap!!! This is the most difficult and simple part of the hairstyle. It's a good idea to look up videos on how to wrap hair to hide ponytail elastics and find a method that works for you. Do that to all three ponytails and their respective buns, pining and like in place. For most that will be it, but if you have long and/or really thick hair, including but not limited to natural hair, you might need to do a test run on that first 'bun' and see if there is to much hair around the base for your liking. If there is, you will need to figure out that ideal amount with each 'bun' and pin that away, allowing the rest to become part of your next 'bun'. The bottom one will be the most frustrating in this case.

After that though, you are done! Pull out bits of hair along your hairline to mimic the messiness of Rey's hair and maybe add some hairspray to the back if your hair is prone to falling out of styles. Mine is slightly prone though and I managed to get through a long busy day following the video exactly without anything moving and I have longer and thicker than ideal hair for this style. Plus, if you have an event later in the day or something afterwards and you don't have time to do anything different with your hair, this style actually looks really great with many different styles of clothing. Good luck, or rather, may the Force be with you! I wish I was able to join you in your quests to create Rey's costume. At this point, I'll just have to stick with perfecting her hair!

Let Crunch Time begin!

The wrap dress we have is about 1-2 feet too short, so we'll have to get more fabric and re-do it, ugh!

We got a pair of the Petzl gloves in XS and boiled them in coffee to stain them, but unfortunately it shrank them more than anticipated and my GF has big hands from powerlifting so they no longer fit. D'oh! I'm going to order a pair of Smalls and try again.

The good news is the bracer and belt are both done and look amazing...

12325014_820079574705_629514565_n.jpg12358216_820063162595_1288466643_n.jpg

I'm going to try and get her staff assembled today, as well. We also purchased a pair of comfy compression sleeves to attach her arm wraps to so they can be easily worn/removed!

Question: I know the head wrap is really just a long-sleeve shirt, I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what the ideal fabric for said shirt would be? I am looking on Amazon for something similar I can hopefully order in time for the premiere!

Tip for those still needing to make the arm wraps:

Johnson and Johnson's 4" wide, 2.5 yd long rolled gauze, dyed with coffee, works absolutely perfectly. I know alot of people struggle with their arm wraps falling down, but this is designed to stick to itself, so it stays up pretty well if you wrap it good and tight. I taped the end at the top to myself (I know, I know) to make sure it didn't slip. To dye two rolls, I just made 6 cups of luke warm, super cheap instant coffee, unrolled the gauze and set it in the coffee for about 30 minutes, then lightly squeezed the wraps out and let them air dry over my porch railing. :)

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/163704788484881519

Just 4 days until premiere day!!

Johnson and Johnson's 4" wide, 2.5 yd long rolled gauze, dyed with coffee, works absolutely perfectly. I know alot of people struggle with their arm wraps falling down, but this is designed to stick to itself, so it stays up pretty well if you wrap it good and tight. I taped the end at the top to myself (I know, I know) to make sure it didn't slip. To dye two rolls, I just made 6 cups of luke warm, super cheap instant coffee, unrolled the gauze and set it in the coffee for about 30 minutes, then lightly squeezed the wraps out and let them air dry over my porch railing. :)

Thank you! I bought a box of 12, 3" non sterile gauze rolls off Amazon, but not J&J (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002UX74WM/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I have plenty in case I screw up. :p wasn't sure where to start so I will definitely try your technique!!

Any pics of the finished product~?

~JJ

OKAY so a mix up later - I ended up with two of these ammo bags. And now to cut one of them down. I've also finished my bracer, I just did both sides out of a dark leather because ease and it's what I had on hand. I'll redo it later when I'm not under time constraints. I also got my alice clip yesterday thanks to kristen. Thank you! Only the wraps and bag to go. I'm going to try out anelvenprincess' suggestion for the wraps when I get the chance. But for now - the bag.

Let me know if you have trouble with the bag. I have very little sewing experience but i was able to alter it ok. Use the pockets off the front for the side flaps.

OKAY so a mix up later - I ended up with two of these ammo bags. And now to cut one of them down. I've also finished my bracer, I just did both sides out of a dark leather because ease and it's what I had on hand. I'll redo it later when I'm not under time constraints. I also got my alice clip yesterday thanks to kristen. Thank you! Only the wraps and bag to go. I'm going to try out anelvenprincess' suggestion for the wraps when I get the chance. But for now - the bag.

No kidding - it's crunch time and I'm multitasking hard core! PVC and a test piece of staff are drying with primer in the garage, my mom made my silk pants and they are AMAZING. They are washing in hot water as we speak! And I am about to start the dyeing process. Then will hopefully have the other pieces coated ASAP and can apply some of my black spray paint.

To anyone who go JJ's pieces, did you attach them to the dowels before or after painting them?

PS Did anyone try tea or coffee for the viscose?

Here are some pictures of the printed staff kit I got from JJ. I put a base coat of silver down for weathering, and used carbon mist as the main color. This still needs to be worked on because it looks just too pretty now, lol. I just wanted to show you guys how easy it is to clean up. I just sanded the parts, nothing fancy,
rey staff paint1.jpg

rey staff paint 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

To anyone who go JJ's pieces, did you attach them to the dowels before or after painting them?

I attached them before.

Here are some pictures of the printed staff kit I got from JJ. I put a base coat of silver down for weathering, and used carbon mist as the main color. This still needs to be worked on because it looks just too pretty now, lol. I just wanted to show you guys how easy it is to clean up. I just sanded the parts, nothing fancy,
View attachment 565646

View attachment 565647

- - - Updated - - -

I attached them before.

Lookin' good, do you mind if I use your photos for my project and sales threads?

This thread has been amazing help, thank you!! I need help with getting the belt done by the premier! Anyone have a pattern or suggestions how you made the belt? I am going for authentic approveable costume, so will spend what I need to. Thanks again!!

This thread has been amazing help, thank you!! I need help with getting the belt done by the premier! Anyone have a pattern or suggestions how you made the belt? I am going for authentic approveable costume, so will spend what I need to. Thanks again!!

division6 made an amazing pattern for both the belt and the bracer, which are both lurking somewhere in this thread. I'm not at my computer so no access to them easily atm, but they are here.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back