TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

It sure looks like something cylindrical but I'm not sure if the object attached to it is Luke's hand.

Looks cylindrical, but the black (grips) and silver (body) locations definitely don't match up to any ESB saber, stunt or hero. Not getting a full explanation as to how the saber was found and passed down to Maz was one of my few disappointments in TFA. Still holding out hope for some clues in deleted scenes or Ep 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

At that distance you would barely be able to see a hilt. I'm pretty sure we'll find some ugnaughts find it in a maintenance shaft or something boring like that. The opening that leads to the weather vane was just written in as a convenient plot device imho.

Not getting a full explanation as to how the saber was found and passed down to Maz was one of my few disappointments in TFA. Still holding out hope for some clues in deleted scenes or Ep 8.

I, too, was hoping for an explanation on how Maz ended up with Luke's ESB saber.

I thought one of the "Journey to the Force Awakens" publications was going to hint or explain that???

- Jim

No there's a few pieces of garbage next to him when it opens up for the last time isn't there? It's just those hunks of... whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However it was recovered from Cloud City will be an interesting story. My mother also has an interesting theory: it's possible that Luke gave his nephew the lightsaber and at one point took it from him (possibly after turning to the Dark Side). So, when he tells Finn, "That lightsaber, it belongs to me," he is being literal. Probably not the case but I like that theory.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Alan Dean Foster novelization which is "officially" due out Tuesday January 5 includes more backstory on how Luke's lightsaber was recovered. Of course, the novel is based on the original script which includes scenes that were cut out of the final film. I hope when the DVD is released they will include all of the deleted footage.

I'm reading the ebook version of the novelization at the moment.
The only thing mentioned about how Maz got the saber is her answering Han's question "Where'd you get that?" with "Long story. A good one – for later."

So we are still none the wiser.
Pablo Hidalgo mentioned that the physical version of the book will be the same as the electronic version. So I'm not expecting there to be more info in it.

I have maintained this for years. Some were pointing out mismatches, not realizing it probably wasn't a real Graflex for that shot (the stunt sabers weren't either), and it might not even be a full scale hand!

What did I do on New Year's Eve? Spent time looking for Luke Skywalker's hand and lightsaber with friends. We compared different DVD versions of Empire Strikes Back studying frame by frame to try and see if we could identify what the heck fell out ahead of Luke before he got hung up on Bespin's Cloud City weathervanes. No, it was not his blaster as he did not loose this in the fall. There was 1 minute and 47 seconds of time that passed between when Luke lost his hand with lightsaber and when he fell off the pylon.

As a kid, we thought it was a piece of hardware broken off from when Luke hits the weathervanes but now I'm not so sure. I think the intent of the scene was simply to show the depth of drop that Luke would fall if he decided not to hang on for dear life. But with the wonders of BluRay, the thing that falls looks more like a lightsaber.

Still frames reveal what looked like a cylindrical object falling down into the clouds. Could this have been his lightsaber with hand? Of course we speculated into the new year as to how his lightsaber may have ended up in the same chute and dump port that Luke fell into and out of. I was hoping that others in this forum might have better still imaging capabilities when examining the BluRay. It sure looks like something cylindrical but I'm not sure if the object attached to it is Luke's hand.

View attachment 572109

Last edited by a moderator:

I was listening to a podcast (Collider) with Kyle Newman (director of Fanboys) and he said up until very close to the release date the 'Luke hand with saber' was still in the movie. Taking out Luke's hand was a very late change to the story.

The whole 'saber box' must have come very late, especially with the Maz scene giving the saber to Leia being cut from the film but the CG finished. It's possible the saber in the box is different that the one Maz handed to Leia.

Based on the bladed saber promo shots with Finn, it's hard to tell if it's a real graflex with a blade adapter or an MR/Hasbro modified. It's not like the prop makers didn't know about the FX sabers, the simple answer would be to modify an MR FX.

Until we get more (Blu-Ray) I think it's a 50/50 that the hero saber has a modified FX clamp, or a custom cut clamp cover/wrap by the prop dept.

I still dont understand why Luke's hand would be floating around in space... Vader's, sure. But Luke's makes no sense.

Maybe the space hand had something to do with those church of the force guys? They sound a bit cultish to me. Finding the hand and saber in the bowels of cloud city could have been from their devout fetish of all things jedi and prophecy related, and they probably chucked it out into space due to a first order interdiction.

It would feel like some medieval game of saint's relics

What space hand / Luke's hand in space are you guys talking about?

I for one am just glad they did away with the lightsaber in space idea regardless of when it happened. I will add that for me the TFA Graflex is my favorite variation of this saber, I always liked the ESB saber but never cared for the second red button, it ruined the lines of the prop for me. I am in the process of getting the stuff together for my first Graflex build and I think it will be the TFA but I might use a ROTS circuit board just to give a nod to all the versions.

What space hand / Luke's hand in space are you guys talking about?

some youtube video I have watched says that the original opening scene of the movie was supposed to have been Luke's hand with lightsaber floating in space

speaking of hand and lightsaber, when the TFA toys line were first launched, one of items was Vader's chopped off hand holding his ROTJ saber, but looks like that is another thing that never made it to the final cut of the movie (assuming Hasbro made that toy for a reason)

I was listening to a podcast (Collider) with Kyle Newman (director of Fanboys) and he said up until very close to the release date the 'Luke hand with saber' was still in the movie. Taking out Luke's hand was a very late change to the story.

some youtube video I have watched says that the original opening scene of the movie was supposed to have been Luke's hand with lightsaber floating in space

You mean in TFA?
Anybody has a link to this video or podcast?

I'm not sure why everyone's so hung up on knowing how Maz got the saber. Does it really matter to the story? I think it's great not knowing every detail. The OT had a ton of references that were never explained. It just gives us a lot to imagine which was why I loved the OT so much.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back