Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Christchurch
    Dec 5, 2015, 9:04 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1126

Is there any dead set accurate length for the grips on Graflex sabers? For the one I'm doing I've cut them at 90 so they don't go all the way from base to clamp, and I'm wondering if I've cut them a bit short.
  2. Member Since
    May 2010
    Dec 6, 2015, 7:16 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1127

Son of Skywalker said: View Post
    @OnFire5210 Do you have any more pics of the clamp and/or clampcard?
    Here are all the pics I took. It was a little chaotic with how many people were there, all I had was my iPhone, and I was trying to not be the raging adult blocking the children from the Star Wars wonder. I hope these help!

From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Dec 6, 2015, 7:50 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1128

Okay so that's the first G R A F L E X with a patent # accounted for :

(Picture Courtesy OnFire5210)

Chaim
  4. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Dec 6, 2015, 8:55 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1129

Based on the grip height, it looks like the saber shown in Finns jacket pocket may be 'the' Hero saber and these display sabers may be stunt or production made.
    From
    UK
    Dec 6, 2015, 10:23 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1130

Is that the 'veneer' (or whatever we are calling it now) peeled away from the clamp?
  6. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Dec 6, 2015, 10:27 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1131

kurtyboy said: View Post
    Is that the 'veneer' (or whatever we are calling it now) peeled away from the clamp?
    It sure seems that way. But it looks like quite a descent thickness. Perhaps it's sheet metal and not just a piece of metallic vinyl sticker.
  7. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Dec 6, 2015, 11:20 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1132

Since this is the ESB saber I really wish they had done the 1/2" strip covering the Graflex and the second red button. They came so close with a real Graflex and then blow it at the finish line.

Luke modded his saber between ANH and ESB, Han and Chewy may have modded their blasters in the last 30 years or gotten new ones, but Luke's/Anakin's saber should be exactly like it was when Luke's hand was chopped off.

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Okay so that's the first G R A F L E X with a patent # accounted for :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...psfu4bl0vf.jpg
    (Picture Courtesy OnFire5210)

Chaim

Yay!!!!!!!!! That is what my real Graflex has on it.

Tom
  8. RPF Premium Member MastahBlastah's Avatar
    From
    USA
    Dec 6, 2015, 11:52 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1133

Do you mind if I post this photo in the Han TFA blaster thread? I don't think there's been a photo posted of the bottom of that display blaster.
  9. Member Since
    May 2010
    Dec 6, 2015, 11:54 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1134

MastahBlastah said: View Post
    Do you mind if I post this photo in the Han TFA blaster thread? I don't think there's been a photo posted of the bottom of that display blaster.
    Go for it! I took these to help the community. I've never built a Graflex saber or a Mauser blaster, but I've lurked and admired on here (and ASAP) for years. Feel free to use them however they can help.
  10. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Baltimore, MD
    Dec 6, 2015, 11:57 AM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1135

Tom1971 said: View Post
    Luke modded his saber between ANH and ESB, Han and Chewy may have modded their blasters in the last 30 years or gotten new ones, but Luke's/Anakin's saber should be exactly like it was when Luke's hand was chopped off.

Tom
    Not necessarily, it took quite a fall...it stands to reason that it could have been damaged and needed repair to get it back into working order.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Dec 6, 2015, 12:24 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1136

Yay!!!!!!!!! That is what my real Graflex has on it.

Tom
    Now whether this is the 'Manufactured by G R A F L E X Inc.' or the 'Made by the Folmer G R A F L E X Corp.' still remains to be determined with another close up of the darker side of the bottom of this prop

Chaim
  12. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Austin, TX
    Dec 6, 2015, 2:36 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1137

Luke's/Anakin's saber should be exactly like it was when Luke's hand was chopped off.
    Well you're in luck, because the TFA saber is kinda like how the lightsaber was when his hand was removed - one lens and one red button

Of course, it was missing a few other parts, too...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lsesb_handvers.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	563051
    From
    Westchester, NY
    Dec 6, 2015, 2:54 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1138

The knurling on the glass eye looks like its in tact in those shots.
  14. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Dec 6, 2015, 3:37 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1139

E Williams said: View Post
    Well you're in luck, because the TFA saber is kinda like how the lightsaber was when his hand was removed - one lens and one red button

Of course, it was missing a few other parts, too...

Name:	lsesb_handvers.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	563051
    Yeah, no. The "it got beat up in the fall and might have been repaired" explanation was better.

Tom
    Dec 6, 2015, 3:44 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1140

kurtyboy said: View Post
    It looks to me as though it has some rust in that area.

I have two original Graflex, one is near pristine, the other has a used but not abused look (it is the older Folmer Graflex w/pat number). The older one has a bit of light rusting on the "beer tab" and clamp (which looks similar as that picture). My understanding is that these are made of stainless steel which will rust, though not as aggressively as carbon steel.

I did however read somewhere, that someone claimed these are coated brass, but I don't believe that is accurate for original vintage flashes, perhaps it is true for replicas. Can anyone confirm that? I am not brave enough to attempt to find out with mine.
    Dec 6, 2015, 3:56 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1141

The tops and bottoms are plated brass. The clamps are steel.

There was a dramatic illustration of this fact in a recent eBay auction; the top and bottom were in nice shape while the clamp was rusted to hell.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 6, 2015, 4:18 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1142

Now that I can see the pictures bigger, is it me or does the kobold look way off? Do we still think the grips are riveted or are those flat headed socket screws. Makes me think they are the socket screws in these pictures
  18. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Dec 6, 2015, 6:23 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1143

I'd say, for the Disney display saber, the grips are no more than 90mm, maybe even a bit shorter. There is a small gap between the grips and the clamp and a larger gap between the grips and the bottom. The veneer is definitely peeling away. It looks like thin sheet metal. Also, the Kobold appears to have countersunk holes where the screws go in.
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Dec 6, 2015, 6:47 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1144

not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but looks like the Kobold clip is attached on by screws, rather then rivet?
  20. Coldhands RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Dec 6, 2015, 6:51 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1145

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	563144
  21. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Austin, TX
    Dec 6, 2015, 6:56 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1146

If the veneer were made of metal, it would have been rolled to match the diameter of the clamp -- Adhesive would be used to keep it from sliding but there's no possibility of "peeling" unless the edge caught on something (and I don't see a crease or other indication of damage). And the edges would be SHARP on metal that thin (read: a liability).

What's on that clamp seems to be a laser or die cut sticker with adhesive that's giving out. As linked previously in the thread, there are a lot of metalized polyester film/vinyl wrap/etc materials out there that have a realistic metal look.
    Last edited by E Williams; Dec 6, 2015 at 7:01 PM.
  22. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Dec 6, 2015, 9:18 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1147

A bit off topic from the current discussion, but I thought I might bring this up. A theory on the antenna was that someone off camera would turn the saber on, and that has been confirmed by John Boyega here: https://youtu.be/MjWHpwihkZw?t=416 He says, "I was going to push it, and have JJ go for sound effects, but apparently that's too much..."
    Dec 6, 2015, 9:36 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1148

Seth The Nerd said: View Post
    A bit off topic from the current discussion, but I thought I might bring this up. A theory on the antenna was that someone off camera would turn the saber on, and that has been confirmed by John Boyega here: https://youtu.be/MjWHpwihkZw?t=416 He says, "I was going to push it, and have JJ go for sound effects, but apparently that's too much..."
    I don't think he meant "push" as in push a button. He means push the issue and ask JJ to add on-set sound FX in addition to the light-up blades.
    From
    Terrebonne, OR U.S.A.
    Dec 6, 2015, 11:13 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1149

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    I don't think he meant "push" as in push a button. He means push the issue and ask JJ to add on-set sound FX in addition to the light-up blades.
    Agreed.
  25. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Dec 6, 2015, 11:20 PM - Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)? #1150

In that interview, Boyega mentions that the blades would flash white on impact... interesting.