What's on your workbench? (no Star Wars, Marvel or DC stuff)

Re: What's on your workbench?

Thorsoli is a pretty hard act to follow, so bear with my humble efforts. Having just tidied my workbench, I covered it with wood shavings from my old hand plane, then covered all that with some of my mountain of part-finished projects.
From left to right:
Torso parts for my customised Stormtrooper armour, which I have re sculpted and resized to fit me. This set is made with two or three layers of glass cloth with polyester resin, but I may do another set with a thicker layer of glass mat.
Gimli axe made from plywood and pine. I couldn’t justify $33 for a chamfer bit for my router, so sharpened my old plane blade. Felt great to make real shavings with a hand tool – probably been twenty years since I used it instead of a power tool.
Uruk Hai helmet from a pep file I created. I stiffen the exterior of the pep with two coats of polyester, then apply release wax on the inside, then rondo and fibreglass the interior. This lets me peel off the card revealing a rondo’ed helmet which sands easily and takes body filler well. This one distorted slightly, ending up a bit wide, but it’ll be fine for display. It’s not really wearable anyway, so I’ve reshaped the mesh and will make the next one bigger by 10%.
Foam top hat from a pattern from Lost Wax in Aussie. I bought the plan after seeing his YouTube steampunk clips. The plan is to cover it with thin foam rectangles, add epoxy rivets, then paint it black and finish with Rub ‘n’ Buff brass or copper. Fun build and will go well with my pith helmet collection.
More torso parts for the trooper armour. Stiffened with resin and awaiting their interior coat of wax prior to fibreglassing. I’ve altered the peps so that they end up with a flat ‘skirt’ which I staple to a piece of MDF while the resin sets hard. It means that the parts don't warp when they are fibreglassed, and although there is a small amount more pepping needed, the result is well worth it. Previous efforts were badly warped until I thought of doing them this way.
Hellboy bust, pepped, stiffened with resin, rondo and fibreglass inside. Had to mix some chopped fibreglass mat into the rondo to strengthen to ears and bun. Slowly finishing it with bondo, rounding off the facets in line with the classic Mignola look.
DSC04131.JPGDSC04132.JPGDSC04133.JPGDSC04134.JPG

No CB2001. It is based on a cartoon for the British Punch magazine from the 50s and 60s.

Building up to making my dream, all metal saber hilt.

So far I have the materials and this concept pic. The entire build will be from scratch, including fabricating a custom PCB with integrated Li-Po and charging circuit.

I'm currently working out how bright I want my charge indicator LEDs to be without having to swap a ton of resistors for each one to find the right value.

To do that I knocked together this adjustable power supply module to run a resistor battery module (which I'm ethcing next) that I can simply draw the legs of each LED across open pads connected to the resistos in the battery from lowest value to highest to find the ones I want.

It's easily worked out mathamatically, but LED lumin output can vary quite a bit betwen each other, even LEDs from the same batch, and I'm looking for an even luminosity between each colour LED.

I've had a handful of things on the bench in the last couple of weeks. First, some things I've finished...

This is one of three utility belts that I made for a friend:

Here it is with the other two:

Another friend asked me to pull a mold from this knife (left) so it could be cast in rubber (right):

It's from Walking Dead, I think.

I just finished my copy of my Mk39 Ironman helmet:

You can read more about that project HERE.

On the subject of helmets, my friend Matt and I put together a few Death Watch helmets from the Clone Wars so we can wear them to the upcoming Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim:

You can read about this project HERE.

I'm also making the armor to go with it:

And the Nite Owl version for the girls to wear:

I've also been working on some Sith Acolyte armor. Here's the chest prototype:

I've also got the arms, legs, and codpiece prototyped so far. It's coming along nicely.

Since I haven't made any new Warhammer 40k stuff in a while, I dusted off my Space Marine chest prototype and I've started upgrading it to build a Grey Knight Terminator:

You can read about the making of that helmet HERE.

I finished my Halo4 SAW a little while ago:

You can read about that one HERE.

With Halloween coming up, one of my cousins asked me to make her a popgun to go with her Harley Quinn costume. Here it is nearing completion:

I made a few of these little "Funbot" statues for a local toy store:

This one still needs to have the face added.

On the subject of robots, I'm very near to completing my 2nd ED209 replica:

I'm sure I've got more going on, but those are the things that are on the top of my list right now.

Working on the Hand Cannon from Destiny. The detail bits are being made as separate pieces so other versions of the gun can be made by just making a new "shell".

15505638626_59ebff0337_c.jpg

What's on your workbench?

All metal PR upgrade
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431993649.415377.jpg

Tracker
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431993699.139802.jpg

Lone Survivor "Axe" assault rifle
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431993752.082277.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431993766.291530.jpg

Lawgiver
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431993813.248237.jpg

D9 Arc Gen
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431994421.971160.jpg

Endo Arm
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431994465.213475.jpg

More to come...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I've been tinkering with some Episode VII helmets:

Tinkering with one of these too:

I just wrapped this thing up a little over a week ago:

And then there's this guy:

And this other guy:

And sooner or later I'll install the lights in these guys eyes:

There's more, but that's all I'm able to share right now.

WOW!!!!!!! that´s all I can say. You´re doing this for a living, correct?

Markus

Everyone else are major project players and I'm just small time but the thread post WAS what's on your workbench...

I need a D'K Tahg for a costume accessory and looks like the only way is to start here.

Presently converting this "top firing" blank gun into a "front firing" cyberpunk gun.

asi4.jpg

asi5.jpg

The first step is redirecting the flash forward.

asi2.jpg
asi3.jpg

And then building something to hide it, and make her look appropriately cyberpunk.

ekolasi_armory1.jpg

This forum is full of unexpected cool stuff. Neat project and looks more challenging than this kid could handle. Looking forward to seeing how you get to that concept pic. :)

Sneaking in one last minute projects before I deconstruct my old work shed to make space for a much needed larger one.

I was sorting a few things out and I put some stuff in a pile to go in my plastic bits n bobs bin. Found some more stuff in the house that hadn't made it to the shed and found one of my Nerf guns tagged for modding (kids had borrowed it).

I looked at the pile again once everything was in the shed, looked at the gun in my hand and suddenly had the idea for this concept:

Going to lose the huge barrel from the end (too long, too wide) and opt for something a little more realistic. The spikes/neadles I'm thinking could be lit up (green or blue) as there's loads of room for stuff in the bottle up front which I can fill in with expanding foam to make firm later on. Don't think it'll be functional though.

I've put aside the gun project for now while I work out how I'm going to tackle certain stages. Meanwhile, the new shed build is taking slightly longer than expected so made good with the extra time available to start knocking up a new helmet rotocaster.

My old wooden proto was just too big and bulky and was getting in the way wherever I put it. With space saving in mind I designed this one to fold as flat as possible. Its then going to be suspended on a swing arm (which will also have the pivot pin for the x axis) so it can live against the wall when not in use.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back