Subscribe
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 10, 2017, 9:21 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1726

And here's that gear. below!

Yesterday was refresh day, fixed up all the little details on my customs that I had grown to hate...

First-- my photo swapmeet special. While I enjoyed the minitripod body, it was a little too narrow, and in retrospect, the emitter end was a little too plain. So I added some t-track and threw on the MPP 2.0 shroud I wasn't doing anything with. Now it has a little more body/

Next... man I loved/hated this thing. There was magic in that vintage gear fit perfectly into an off-spec Obi-Wan pommel. I used roman's space with a peak clamp and was still happy... but that TCSS body and emitter... ehhhh... Even the Canon Y shroud couldn't help it. The more I looked at it the more I passionately hated it. I kept the lower half and just waited-- having the idea that maybe I could find other not-quite-right Obi-Wan parts. That started to be a thing when I found a resin MK 1 grenade on ebay-- similar body, but different pin section. I trimmed it down, threaded it to the rod I already had holding the lower half together.

I was hoping for some random jet engine parts to land in my lap for am emitter, but that was wishful thinking. Instead, I got kinda clever I think. I had a bunch of Canon surplus parts from a lot. Using tripod adapters that are threaded for the mount usually on the bottom of flash guns I built a thin-neck style top. The "wheel" area is basically two Canon endcaps threaded together, the texture tape hides the bayonet style holes. The Canon slave makes the upper emitter area, a Y bulb socket for the emitter itself, and topped off by a gray stubby Heiland shroud.

Next-- as inspired by @poopaPoppaPalps, a Kalart flash. Initially I was happy with its snub end and pictured it as a small assassin saber... but all those o-rings felt to hardware to me... and I started to really not love it, especially with how cool Poopa's is.

This refresh might be my favorite. I love it now... Once again using the neck section designed by @AnubisGuard with a couple of hard drive rings on it, a stripped Heiland shroud (both provided by Anubis), I added to the bottom with a section of a Luke knock-off saber V2 lower half. Little tape, shapeways grip, and an endcap from yet another tripod mount piece and Im sold.

Turns out I've decided to refresh all my Canon sabers... This one got a minor change. The stubby shroud started to look like something was missing-- so I added on the Y shroud/guard that I pulled off the saber above, and built a new emitter. I also replaced the thumbscrew.

This Canon X was one I loved upon completion, but just didn't hold up to where my abilities are a year later. The lower half was always a little sketchy as a plastic flash extension. It just seemed really iffy and janky. I stripped it down, added an actual lower Canon body, and ditched the TCSS emitter end for a custom one I cobbled together from an Argus, a Leitz and some hard drive parts (again, thanks Anubis!)

All Canons have an inner battery case, which was perfect to set some screws into to attach the emitter section into place.

I tried some lower profile t-tracks I think are off an Anakin FX saber.. but they are rubbery and maybe too sloppy looking. What I'd LOVE is some metal aluminum t-track. Once I get that I'll replace the grips.

Finally, my first Canon Y. This was "my version of Anakin's first saber." One detail people got hung up on was the bulbous clamp band at the top. I wanted to give it a little blocky-ness on the head, to sort of call to the Graflex which I saw this as a progenitor too... also it covered a lot of holes.

I recently got a weird Heiland clamp I hadn't seen before. It was most certainly blocky, so I put it on instead. I am guessing people will love or hate it. For now I love it, but I could change my mind, obviously...

From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 11, 2017, 10:24 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1727

Still searching for another cool gear on eBay... at least steampunk people know how we do...
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 11, 2017, 10:46 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1728

Duuuuude Seth where'd you get that yellow bubblestrip
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 11, 2017, 11:37 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1729

It's a regular ol' repro strip that I painted the underside of with a transparent paint. It's a tayima model paint-- I've tried their transparent red and blue too, but they just don't work as well as the yellow did.
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 12, 2017, 8:43 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1730

6. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 12, 2017, 8:51 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1731

Hey @SethS ! That's one thin-necked lightsaber ya made there! That POMMEL though! And that hexagonal body/clamp! WOW! on both!! Super lovin' the nod to Obi-Wan's emitter in that hexagonal one too!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 13, 2017, 12:38 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1732

The Kalart flash did the heavy lifting by being awesome
    Apr 17, 2017, 1:48 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1733

There's a little bit of significance to this one: back when I was a teenager, I had a roleplay Jedi character that I was never able to design a satisfactory lightsaber for. I'd always had this idea that his weapons and tools should be more "junkyard," with leather wraps and scraps of metal and such, but the idea never went anywhere. Once I finished this build, I said "Eureka!" and recognized it as the design I never managed to develop back when it would have done me some good.

Anyway.

The core of this build came together surprisingly fast. I was messing around with a string of random parts one night and realized they fit and-to-end in a pleasing way. The body, top to bottom, is a Graflex slave minus the ears, two screen door slider wheels, the knurled end from a Canon Model X endcap, an inverted Canon Model Y, a stainless steel champagne stopper, and a faucet handwheel from TrueValue Hardware.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0071.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	799.8 KB 
ID:	721917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	805.4 KB 
ID:	721918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	801.9 KB 
ID:	721919

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	820.9 KB 
ID:	721920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	805.1 KB 
ID:	721921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	783.7 KB 
ID:	721922

The handwheel's diameter was an exact match for that of the original core of the champagne stopper, so I drilled out the rivets holding the flanges on the core, then drilled holes in the handwheel and attached the flanges to it with pop rivets. The space inside the stopper was filled with the front end of an aluminum flashlight, and the whole assembly was riveted to the Canon flash.

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	602.3 KB 
ID:	721914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	527.9 KB 
ID:	721915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0070.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	630.1 KB 
ID:	721916

The top end of the saber is held together with an 8-32 threaded rod. The spare Canon endcap was cut down to just below the bayonet lock and it was sandwiched between the two screen door wheels, then threaded into the bottom of the slave and the endcap of the Canon Y.

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	598.8 KB 
ID:	721913

The emitter is the bulb holder and reflector collar off the Y. The knob and backplate on the slave were parts off a Canon Model X's accessories. The whole thing is held together with a series of screws and a little bit of glue.

Name:	IMG_0057.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	604.7 KB 
ID:	721911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	481.9 KB 
ID:	721912

I cut down a Novus 820-style bubble strip to fit the Canon clamp, covered the clamp writing with embossed lure tape, and finally the handle was wrapped in leather cord from Jo-Anns Fabrics.

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	476.1 KB 
ID:	721909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	696.6 KB 
ID:	721910

I'm really happy with how this one came out. The basic assembly came together fast and I didn't have to do much second-guessing about the overall design. That's usually a sign of a good idea.

And a little preview of the next build....

Name:	Preview_Saber_2.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	721908
    From
    Brussels
    Apr 17, 2017, 3:44 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1734

oh wow, that last one is beautiful AnubisGuard! Amazing work to all of you guys, it's really inspiring, thanks to you, I couldn't help but to start 6 sabers of my own... I guess I'll be posting pictures soon
    From
    Terrebonne, OR U.S.A.
    Apr 17, 2017, 1:13 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1735

eethan said: View Post
    AnubisGuard!
    Anubis Guard?

Last edited by ARKM; Apr 17, 2017 at 1:20 PM.
  11. RPF Premium Member
    Apr 17, 2017, 2:40 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1736

Here is the latest saber where I was able to use that big & heavy industrial gear.

Emitter: Sanitary pipe weld & partially dismantled hard drive. Connected using an adhesive.
    Neck: This is a vintage industrial gear I got from EBay with a Heiland clamp on the bottom of it. I took off the bulky portion of the clamp and replaced it with a Roman's transitory screw.

These three sections were affixed to each other using a threaded rod:

Activation Button Section: This is the top of an Abbey flashgun.
    Smaller Gear: This is an old engine crankshaft gear.
    Pommel: This is a Heiland end battery cap.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by MattBud; Apr 17, 2017 at 5:28 PM.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 17, 2017, 4:56 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1737

MattBud said: View Post
    this is wicked! i love the upper part of the hilt, do they all that part the choke? the part under the emitter
    and on the left side of the last picture. is that scratch made?
  13. RPF Premium Member
    Apr 17, 2017, 5:26 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1738

halliwax said: View Post
    this is wicked! i love the upper part of the hilt, do they all that part the choke? the part under the emitter
    and on the left side of the last picture. is that scratch made?
    Thanks! Here's the list of parts used that should answer your questions:

Emitter: Sanitary pipe weld & partially dismantled hard drive. Connected using an adhesive.
    Neck: This is a vintage industrial gear I got from EBay with a Heiland clamp on the bottom of it. I took off the bulky portion of the clamp and replaced it with a Roman's transitory screw.

These three sections were affixed to each other using a threaded rod:

Activation Button Section: This is the top of an Abbey flashgun.
    Smaller Gear: This is an old engine crankshaft gear.
    Pommel: This is a Heiland end battery cap.
  14. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Michigan
    Apr 18, 2017, 9:29 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1739

Corran Horn from I Jedi

Name:	Corran.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	722154
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 18, 2017, 10:24 AM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1740

Loving all this gear usage!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 18, 2017, 4:13 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1741

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    There's a little bit of significance to this one: back when I was a teenager, I had a roleplay Jedi character that I was never able to design a satisfactory lightsaber for. I'd always had this idea that his weapons and tools should be more "junkyard," with leather wraps and scraps of metal and such, but the idea never went anywhere. Once I finished this build, I said "Eureka!" and recognized it as the design I never managed to develop back when it would have done me some good.

Anyway.

The core of this build came together surprisingly fast. I was messing around with a string of random parts one night and realized they fit and-to-end in a pleasing way. The body, top to bottom, is a Graflex slave minus the ears, two screen door slider wheels, the knurled end from a Canon Model X endcap, an inverted Canon Model Y, a stainless steel champagne stopper, and a faucet handwheel from TrueValue Hardware.

Name:	IMG_0071.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	799.8 KB 
ID:	721917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	805.4 KB 
ID:	721918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	801.9 KB 
ID:	721919

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	820.9 KB 
ID:	721920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	805.1 KB 
ID:	721921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	783.7 KB 
ID:	721922

The handwheel's diameter was an exact match for that of the original core of the champagne stopper, so I drilled out the rivets holding the flanges on the core, then drilled holes in the handwheel and attached the flanges to it with pop rivets. The space inside the stopper was filled with the front end of an aluminum flashlight, and the whole assembly was riveted to the Canon flash.

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	602.3 KB 
ID:	721914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	527.9 KB 
ID:	721915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0070.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	630.1 KB 
ID:	721916

The top end of the saber is held together with an 8-32 threaded rod. The spare Canon endcap was cut down to just below the bayonet lock and it was sandwiched between the two screen door wheels, then threaded into the bottom of the slave and the endcap of the Canon Y.

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	598.8 KB 
ID:	721913

The emitter is the bulb holder and reflector collar off the Y. The knob and backplate on the slave were parts off a Canon Model X's accessories. The whole thing is held together with a series of screws and a little bit of glue.

Name:	IMG_0057.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	604.7 KB 
ID:	721911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	481.9 KB 
ID:	721912

I cut down a Novus 820-style bubble strip to fit the Canon clamp, covered the clamp writing with embossed lure tape, and finally the handle was wrapped in leather cord from Jo-Anns Fabrics.

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	476.1 KB 
ID:	721909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG 
Size:	696.6 KB 
ID:	721910

I'm really happy with how this one came out. The basic assembly came together fast and I didn't have to do much second-guessing about the overall design. That's usually a sign of a good idea.

And a little preview of the next build....

Name:	Preview_Saber_2.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	721908
    i generally don't love the leather wrap style, but this thing is phenomenal.. There's a bit of Obi-Wan magic hero in the perfect storm of found parts.
    Apr 18, 2017, 4:31 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1742

SethS said: View Post
    i generally don't love the leather wrap style, but this thing is phenomenal.. There's a bit of Obi-Wan magic hero in the perfect storm of found parts.

Thanks. I'm really thrilled with this build. I'm not usually big on non-traditional grip styles as well, but on this one it works somehow. (Admittedly, I did have to go through three different styles of wrap before I found one I liked.)
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 18, 2017, 6:05 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1743

I think you take the crown for finding the best parts out there in the world. That champagne stopper is a game changer for me.
  19. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Apr 18, 2017, 10:26 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1744

I said I was done with sabers yet today I wound up working on one and made some pretty decent progress on it; it all just kind of fell together.

Expect another a post from me soon.
    Apr 19, 2017, 5:56 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1745

SethS said: View Post
    That champagne stopper is a game changer for me.
    You've got me wondering what you came up with.
  21. Member Since
    Apr 2017
    From
    Paris, France
    Apr 20, 2017, 1:43 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1746

Hi there !
    First time on this forum. I have checked the custom lightsabers that are shown in this thread, and was positively impressed !

I, for one, started building my first custom lightsaber for my 7-year-old daughter, when she started being very much into Star Wars. I then built a few others as gifts for her two best friends (all girls, too). Sharing these on my Facebook fan-page (I am a freelance Sci-Fi and Fantasy illustrator), I received a good feedback, and a few Star Wars fans even inquired wether I could build custom pieces for them. So I opened my own prop shop, under the name of The Galactic Armory.
    Right now, this particular project is on hold, as I was a bit overwhelmed already by my commissions as an illustrator. So, I have not really publicized it. But at this moment, I am thinking about going public at last with it, and trying to see if it may be of interest to fans of the franchise.
    Needless to say, all advice, comments and opinions from the die-hard fans here will be much welcome: although a definite Star Wars fan myself, I never was into prop building until now, so I clearly have a lot to learn about.

One last point, that may be worth mentioning: Aside from the hilt, I am also building the electronics from scratch. My sabers are controlled by small Arduino clones that I wire and program myself, therefore opening the way to implementing pretty much any kind of function (be they light effects, sound effects, or even remote-controlled reactions " la" Force effect).

Thanks ahead for your feedback on my creations !
    Best wishes,

Name:	Baroque_1120296_Medium.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	711.7 KB 
ID:	722677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baroque_1120305_Medium.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	834.9 KB 
ID:	722678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LightSaber_MkII_Medium.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	744.0 KB 
ID:	722679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1120483.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	537.8 KB 
ID:	722681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1120486.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	722682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1120491.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	722683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1120506.JPG 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	722684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1120483.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	537.8 KB 
ID:	722681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1120486.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	722682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1120491.JPG 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	722683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1120506.JPG 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	722684
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 20, 2017, 1:53 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1747

That's really cool!

- - - Updated - - -

Okay-- after teasing for a year, and @AnubisGuard shaming me... I've finally done my Ikon Sith-saber. I feel like it's a little pat with the details, but overall, I really dig the dark and industrial look it has and think the combo of parts is great. I like how parts of it look brand new, and others look worn and tired. Like its owner was upgrading as he went along-- like a custom car.

Apr 20, 2017, 3:30 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1748

I love it. Interesting choice to put a Graflex eye in there.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 20, 2017, 3:38 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1749

I actually really like the Ikon's eye, but it was so fogged it just looked like cheap plastic. After scoring a Folmer eye for my vintage, I had an extra Roman eye and it popped right in there. I feel like it complements the shroud knob on the opposite side-- very similar knurling.
  25. Member Since
    Apr 2017
    From
    Paris, France
    Apr 20, 2017, 4:15 PM - Re: Show your custom Lightsabers! #1750

The worn-out look is great !