Naruto Headband - updated version (includes electro-chemical etching)

MadMike

Hey people,
it's a friend of mine's birthday next week, and since she is a huge Naruto fan (and once dropped that she would like to have one), I decided to make her a Konoha headband.Well, actually I wanted to buy one, but those I found online all looked too...I don't know how I should call it, but they looked way too cartoonish and just not right (perhaps some of you know what I mean, I just didn't want to give her something that looked like a cheap toy). Besides, something you make on your own is always better and got character and stuff, right? :D

Anyway, my metal working skills leave much to be desired, but I wanted to try it anyway. And I apologies in advance, but I didn't take a whole lot of pictures, but I'll try to describe it for those interested in the process.
The headband started it's life as a part of my desk-lamp, it was a shield bend over the bulb. I don't know why, but I kept it after the lamp stopped working and came in handy for this project. Flattened, it looked something like this:

brumm.png

My plan was to use the curve it already had on one side, copy that curve for the other side and cut the sides at the red line. Unfortunately, my Dremel had some problems cutting the metal (it worked, but it took a loooooong time), and since I wanted to sand it down to the right size anyway, I decided to just put it in my bench vise and bend it. While sanding the sides down on my grinder, I also grinded down the curve, leaving me with this (in this shot, it was already sanded with sandpaper to give it a bit of a shine; the hole was already drilled as a mointing point for the lamp):

060820142829.jpg

Although it looked a bit off (at least for me), I was pretty happy with the outcome after measuring it (height of 6.1cm on the one side and 6.0cm on the other one), the problem was, it was too wide for a "normal" forehead (I have a pretty big head, and it's a present for a petite woman, something I had to keep in mind), So I did the curve again and shortened it a bit (and flattened it out again, to make it easier to work with).

To add the symbol for Konohagakure, I originally wanted to etch it into the metal using some hydrochloric acid which my father once had bottle of...yeah, well, he had it (or had had?), and it wasn't there anymore. So I grabbed my Proxxon GG12 (for those of you who don't know it: a nice little engraver!) and engraved and engraved and so on, giving me this:

100820142891.jpg100820142892.jpg

Before painting it, I will probably sand and polish it a couple of times, but I actually don't want it too look perfect. It takes place in a feudal-Japan-esque world, so all these things were made by hand with tools probably even worse than mine :D So (in my opinion), little dents and scratches only make it more authentic (something that bugged me on those available online, they just looked too perfect).

Next to come: paint (and the actual band, of course)
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Re: Naruto Headband

Yep. I watched Naruto and Shipuden. I need more American episodes, hopefully they come out soon.

Nice idea and a Great Gift.

Update

To smooth out the surface, I gave it a sanding with 80, 100, 120, 220 and...I guess 600 or so grit. Just out of curiosity, I gave it a pretty aggressive buff with Goddard's Glow (I so love this stuff!) and could almost use it as a mirror :D

110820142898.jpg

...well, not exactly like a mirror, but good enough to see where my face and where my camera was.

Anyway, as said before, I don't mind the dents because of "authenticity", but still I wanted to give it a more cartoon-like look, so I painted it instead of just using the blank metal (I guess I'll see later on if that was the right decision).

110820142899.jpg

This is neither a real primer nor the final paint, it is some metal rust protection or something like that, I actually just used it to make sure the paint will stick to the metal.
Originally, I planned to use the rivets somehow to attach the metal to the bandana, but couldn't figure out a good way to put them through the cloth without hurting the wearer. So I just cut off the heads of some nails and glued them on.

While the paint dried I sewed the bandana...just black cloth with some foam in the middle, so not the world, but still pretty proud of myself to get it somehow straight.

110820142901.jpg

Tomorrow I will (hopefully) finish it with some modelmaking enemal paint and attach some velcro

Well, for those two of you following my build, here's the finished product

160820142921.jpg

When starting it, I never thought that the paintjob would be the hardest part. I primed it with this anti-rust-thing and glued some velcro on the back, and suddenly I had some wrinkles on the surface...dunno what happened there, so I gave it another layer of primer before finishing it with enemal paint. I painted the symbol, cleaned it with enemal paint again and gave it some clear coat...which somehow seemed to dissolve the enemal paint, causing some streaks of silver over the black. I only noticed that this morning, and since the birthday starts in 6 hours I have no time to re-do it again, so I guess I'll just have to live with that.

I had a wooden box laying around which I gave a mock-wooden paintjob (and painted the symbol on again) and cut out some foam and felt as a gift box.

160820142923.jpg

160820142925.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Re: Naruto Headband (finished)

Feitan
meanwhile, I actually made two other pieces, but I made a few changes: the logos (one of them was customized for a friend) are etched etched, not painted, and the nail heads are riveted, not glued on. also, the material used is 2mm steel, not sheet metal anymore.besides that, those are smaller as they weren't meant for wearing, but as fridge magnets.

6D6888A5-E3F6-49D7-9E9A-EE109689DDB4.jpg
WP_20170815_18_51_42_Pro.jpg

that being said...you're really interested? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back