Subscribe
  1. joshvanrad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    From
    MN, United States
    Messages
    2,192
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 4:27 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5726

    Wow, this thread is getting dumb.
  2. AKA, Mike Honcho RPF Premium Member Rylo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2000
    Messages
    5,646
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 4:30 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5727

    I'm a little apprehensive about the Porgs. I confess it dampened my enthusiasm a bit. Rather fearing a yub, yub moment.

    I was hoping for a darker vibe. These damned things are gonna be everywhere.

    Loving today's memes though!

  3. RPF Premium Member ssdesigner's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2000
    From
    Minneapolis
    Messages
    1,187
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 4:32 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5728

    Rylo said: View Post
    I'm a little apprehensive about the Porgs. I confess it dampened my enthusiasm a bit. Rather fearing a yub, yub moment.

    I was hoping for a darker vibe. These damned things are gonna be everywhere.

    Loving today's memes though!

    https://www.therpf.com/attachment.ph...6&d=1507756944
    Totally agree. The memes are AMAZING

    f11372ff-6e48-495c-9594-01a8912a1ebf.jpg
  4. Toadmeister's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Messages
    724
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 4:48 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5729

    ssdesigner said: View Post
    My name is Scott, not Francis. But I do know that using this name in a derogatory way is typically meant to infer that I'm feminine or gay. ....not sure if that matters? I've been here on the RPF as long or longer as many and I do think the tone for this topic warrants my comments.

    If you don't agree, noted...Rylo.
    Watch "Stripes" starring Bill Murray. Your welcome in advance.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  5. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Messages
    972
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 5:46 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5730

    MooCriket said: View Post
    https://i.redd.it/y1snrieva9rz.jpg
    Interesting. When you look at all the past Star Wars posters from the link, evil is always lurking in the background. In the latest background..we see Luke.
    And then you have Luke's appearance on the Imax graphics with BOTH the good guys and bad guys:

    DLzUmjeVQAAmZm0.jpg
  6. cboath's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2001
    Messages
    4,930
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 5:59 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5731

    And maybe you have people from disney or lfl saying stick Luke everywhere you can since people were a bit pissed last time that he didn't get a single line....It doesn't have to be a hidden message.

    You think they spell out the whole script for the guy making the poster?
  7. Bryancd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2002
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Messages
    7,619
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 6:03 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5732

    I'm so glad I spent the day at Disneyland instead of following some of this. Star Wars is EVERYWHERE here, especially on the shirts of the guests. And yes, STAR WARS is for kids, just come to Disney and see the future of the franchise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bryancd; 6 Days Ago at 6:21 PM.
  8. MooCriket's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Messages
    9,576
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 6:28 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5733

    Spyhunter2k said: View Post
    And then you have Luke's appearance on the Imax graphics with BOTH the good guys and bad guys:

    DLzUmjeVQAAmZm0.jpg
    ****'s about to get real!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bryancd with the well timed Disney commercial.

    - - - Updated - - -

    cboath said: View Post
    And maybe you have people from disney or lfl saying stick Luke everywhere you can since people were a bit pissed last time that he didn't get a single line....It doesn't have to be a hidden message.

    You think they spell out the whole script for the guy making the poster?
    Sure...why not. I guess we will see.
  9. Inquisitor Peregrinus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Messages
    2,315
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 6:45 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5734

    Kylo does have his scar in that final shot where he's reaching out.

    The island where they filmed was aswarm with puffins. It was easier to alter them into porgs than try to digitally remove all of them. I have less problem with either the porgs or the crystal foxes than I did with either Jar-Jar or Ewoks.

    tubachris85x said: View Post
    Don't put much effort into reading the Wiki page. Someone decided to go full stupid and completely screwed up the snowtrooper wiki page between the ESB and First Order one. It was accurate and full of proper information before hand and idk when the stupid guy went in and filled it with stupid.

    I've thought about going in a fixing it but I can't prevent said stupid idiot from going back in and splerging his foul intellectual understanding of Snowtroopers all over it again.
    I haven't been in a while. What's been done to muck up the Snowtroopers?

    --Jonah
  10. edge10's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    From
    Orlando
    Messages
    909
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 6:55 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5735

    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    Kylo does have his scar in that final shot where he's reaching out.

    The island where they filmed was aswarm with puffins. It was easier to alter them into porgs than try to digitally remove all of them. I have less problem with either the porgs or the crystal foxes than I did with either Jar-Jar or Ewoks.



    I haven't been in a while. What's been done to muck up the Snowtroopers?

    --Jonah
    I didn't know about the porg relationship to puffins.

    Porgs are puffins, puffins are porgs!

    http://www.dailyedge.ie/porgs-star-wars-3641564-Oct2017/

  11. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    CNY
    Messages
    1,640
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 7:12 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5736

    ssdesigner said: View Post
    That's where you're not getting it, or the story, or the entire theme of Star Wars in general. She is the new Luke, period.

    The female character lead in Star Wars seems to be a hard pill for a lot of fanboys to swallow. Boo. Hoo.

    Lead female roles, like Rey, are a welcome breath of fresh air. The time for all-male leads is done. It's DONE. So, it only makes sense that if you have a character like Rey, that she is not going down a path where she will not be an inspiring character for young women. How is that so hard to comprehend? And if you don't want or welcome this....maybe new Star Wars (or sci-fi movies anywhere) are not for you.

    I for one am tired of reading post after post about women in lead roles that are slammed to death, picked apart, nitpicked from every angle... that just screams misogynist rhetoric.

    Rey is bad ass, she is here to stay (thank f-ing god) so some of you will need to deal with it.
    1. Where did I say or in any way imply that I am not ok with the main character being female? Not once, so don't put words in my mouth and then get all self-righteous about those words that I never even said.

    2. Rey turning to the dark side in no way means she must be relegated to supporting character. Leads can be bad guys too. Also, I comprehend just fine, and if they want to go that route, fine. But We already have a Luke, so why is it so hard for you to accept that Rey is allowed to be her own character and not a copy of the man who came before her.

    3. I never belittled the character, never said she shouldnt be able to do this or that because she's a female, never said anything against the fact that she's a woman, so save that misogyny crap for someone else. Heaven forbid I should support taking new characters, in this case a female character, in different directions.

    4. On this, we agree: Rey is a definitely a badass.
  12. Bryancd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2002
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Messages
    7,619
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 7:19 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5737

    I really need to reiterate this, there is far too much capital spent on building Rey as the hero and Kylo as the villain to alter course now. From licensing to merchandising, Rey is the light and Kylo is the dark. Just as clear as the OT where Luke was the last guy and Vader the dark. Classic. Easily understood by both young and old. And fun fairy tale storytelling.
  13. RPF Premium Member TK10259's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2017
    From
    Brooklyn, New York, United States
    Messages
    78
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 7:33 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5738

    Bryancd said: View Post
    I really need to reiterate this, there is far too much capital spent on building Rey as the hero and Kylo as the villain to alter course now. From licensing to merchandising, Rey is the light and Kylo is the dark. Just as clear as the OT where Luke was the last guy and Vader the dark. Classic. Easily understood by both young and old. And fun fairy tale storytelling.
    Agreed...
  14. Toadmeister's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Messages
    724
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 7:49 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5739

    Bryancd said: View Post
    I really need to reiterate this, there is far too much capital spent on building Rey as the hero and Kylo as the villain to alter course now. From licensing to merchandising, Rey is the light and Kylo is the dark. Just as clear as the OT where Luke was the last guy and Vader the dark. Classic. Easily understood by both young and old. And fun fairy tale storytelling.
    You are logically correct. That is why it would be so much fun to twist that upside down!

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  15. Sluis Van Shipyards's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 1999
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Messages
    9,825
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 7:50 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5740

    Did anyone ever think that the scene with Kylo reaching out to Rey is part of Luke's plan? Maybe Luke is either trying to turn him back using Rey OR use Rey to figure out what they're up to knowing they want to turn her and will welcome her in?
  16. MooCriket's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Messages
    9,576
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 7:53 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5741

    Sluis Van Shipyards said: View Post
    Did anyone ever think that the scene with Kylo reaching out to Rey is part of Luke's plan? Maybe Luke is either trying to turn him back using Rey OR use Rey to figure out what they're up to knowing they want to turn her and will welcome her in?
    Right on. I am hoping for many twist in this film.
  17. azheat01's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Messages
    783
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 8:35 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5742

    MooCriket said: View Post
    https://i.redd.it/y1snrieva9rz.jpg
    Interesting. When you look at all the past Star Wars posters from the link, evil is always lurking in the background. In the latest background..we see Luke.
    For the love of all that is holy, please don't take our beloved hero Luke and turn him to the dark side. I'm fine if he's indifferent and beaten down. He was tempted in Jedi but ultimately defeated evil. So much of my youth has already been ruined, please let me have this.......
  18. MooCriket's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Messages
    9,576
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 8:47 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5743

    azheat01 said: View Post
    For the love of all that is holy, please don't take our beloved hero Luke and turn him to the dark side. I'm fine if he's indifferent and beaten down. He was tempted in Jedi but ultimately defeated evil. So much of my youth has already been ruined, please let me have this.......
    The bottom line is that a Luke being a "Grey" Jedi or making a turn to the dark side, even if it is brief makes for a much more tragically compelling story. A man can only spend so much time with Ewoks and Porgs before he breaks.
  19. azheat01's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Messages
    783
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 9:02 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5744

    MooCriket said: View Post
    The bottom line is that a Luke being a "Grey" Jedi or making a turn to the dark side, even if it is brief makes for a much more tragically compelling story. A man can only spend so much time with Ewoks and Porgs before he breaks.
    Yeah, but I have a feeling Rey and Kylo both may be struggling with light vs dark, that's compelling enough tragic storytelling for me, I don't need Luke in the mix as well. But I will agree, if those ridiculous Porgs incessantly made that terrible noise on his island like the one in the trailer, I'm all for a full-on Luke dark side bender!
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    Messages
    771
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 9:28 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5745

    I wish people would stop using grey Jedi when Lucasfilm story group members (Pablo Hidalgo on twitter who has been with the company almost 20 years) have said and have said before and again just in the last two days there is no such thing. If you go grey, you are no longer a Jedi.
  21. MooCriket's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Messages
    9,576
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 10:00 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5746

    DINVADER said: View Post
    I wish people would stop using grey Jedi when Lucasfilm story group members (Pablo Hidalgo on twitter who has been with the company almost 20 years) have said and have said before and again just in the last two days there is no such thing. If you go grey, you are no longer a Jedi.
    And he could be deliberately misleading us. If you look back at the films alone, a Jedi would never force choke another person, but we do see Luke perform that very thing on some of Jabba's guards don't we? Are you saying Luke stopped being a Jedi and that moment and became a Sith? What about when Luke gave into his anger in order to defeat his pops? Was Luke a Sith then?

    So only a Sith deals in absolutes you say? Well, I think it is clearly established that there is a middle ground in established film cannon. Hidalgo was lacking in SWIQ when asked the question or was being deliberately misleading to....surprise us in the Last Jedi.
  22. Bryancd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2002
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Messages
    7,619
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 10:01 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5747

    DINVADER said: View Post
    I wish people would stop using grey Jedi when Lucasfilm story group members (Pablo Hidalgo on twitter who has been with the company almost 20 years) have said and have said before and again just in the last two days there is no such thing. If you go grey, you are no longer a Jedi.
    Right which doesn't alter the concept, you can have the Force and use it in a morally ambiguous manner, but you aren't a Jedi..or Sith, you just are a force wielding opportunist.
  23. Bryancd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2002
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Messages
    7,619
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 10:06 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5748

    MooCriket said: View Post
    And he could be deliberately misleading us. If you look back at the films alone, a Jedi would never force choke another person, but we do see Luke perform that very thing on some of Jabba's guards don't we? Are you saying Luke stopped being a Jedi and that moment and became a Sith? What about when Luke gave into his anger in order to defeat his pops? Was Luke a Sith then?

    So only a Sith deals in absolutes you say? Well, I think it is clearly established that there is a middle ground in established film cannon. Hidalgo was lacking in SWIQ when asked the question or was being deliberately misleading to....surprise us in the Last Jedi.
    Jesus, Mary, and Joseph please stop using the SWIQ BS especially when directed at someone like Pablo who understands this franchise better then everyone of us navel gazers comnebting here. That man lives and bleeds Star Wars and actually works there, making his opinion gospel and our meaningless. That's the way this works.
  24. MooCriket's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Messages
    9,576
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 10:09 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5749

    Wat?!

    Force wielding opportunist?! Was that what Anakin was when he slaughtered those Tuskens? I don't think so.


    Don't do drugs. Drugs are bad mmkay.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bryancd said: View Post
    Jesus, Mary, and Joseph please stop using the SWIQ BS especially when directed at someone like Pablo who understands this franchise better then everyone of us navel gazers comnebting here. That man lives and bleeds Star Wars and actually works there, making his opinion gospel and our meaningless. That's the way this works.
    As a lifelong fan, and noted bull****** , here on The RPF, I feel entitled to voice disagreement and call out when Hidlago or anyone is wrong. He's wrong, and therefore was lacking in SWIQ. Deal with it. It happens to the best of us, whether or not we are employed by Lucas/Disney.
  25. Bryancd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2002
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Messages
    7,619
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 10:11 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release) #5750

    MooCriket said: View Post
    Wat?!

    Force wielding opportunist?! Was that what Anakin was when he slaughtered those Tuskens? I don't think so.


    Don't do drugs. Drugs are bad mmkay.

    - - - Updated - - -



    As a lifelong fan, and noted bull****** , here on The RPF, I feel entitled to voice disagreement and call out when Hidlago or anyone is wrong. He's wrong, and therefore was lacking in SWIQ. Deal with it. It happens to the best of us, whether or not we are employed by Lucas/Disney.
    Feelng entitled is a far sight from being qualified.

Similar Threads

  1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)
    AlexBC, Entertainment and Movie Talk
    Replies: 4605
    Last Post: Dec 23, 2016, 7:49 AM
  2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)
    OldKen, Entertainment and Movie Talk
    Replies: 3531
    Last Post: Mar 10, 2016, 3:25 PM
  3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)
    Warpaint, Entertainment and Movie Talk
    Replies: 15921
    Last Post: Dec 20, 2015, 8:15 PM
  4. Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)
    Dave Porter, Entertainment and Movie Talk
    Replies: 2940
    Last Post: May 27, 2013, 12:00 PM