rocket raccoon WIP

Super clever idea for the feet! I'll have to remember that if I ever do something similar. :)

Also, Kix is right. Raccoons are cute, but destructive! We ended up with a trio of mostly-grown juveniles living in our attic about a year after we bought our house and they just trashed the place. And damaged the side of the house climbing up the eavestroughs to get there! I personally don't mind raccoons, as long as they aren't living in my house or tearing apart my trash. :p

Thanks again so much for sharing all this info! This is all really useful!

I've finally cast my head out of resin, and about to brave cutting the jaw and adding the eyes. I'm hoping it all comes together properly haha! After his head I've only got his flight suit and backback thingy to go. Not sure if this is useful for you but for his feet I bought toe socks (the ones with individual toes), made foam pads so I can walk around with dry and safe feet, and also made foam claws. then added fur fibres to the top of the sock. For his hands I've got black gloves, added claws and also glued on fur fibres (I don't like how the fursuit hands and feet looked, especially since Raccoons have little delicate hands and feets! Secretly wishing we got raccoons here because they look so cute haha. I'll have to make do with possums ;) )

Here's my progress pics; the feet before they've been furred. I airbrushed the black stripes onto the tail - this costume is a lot of firsts for me! (I hope you don't mind if I share. This thread has been really helpful):
View attachment 355864View attachment 355863View attachment 355862View attachment 355869

Fantastic job! looks amazing! Those are the same type i used for my son so I had to sew it to make two toes for my sons costume for Nightcrawler, though I didn't add the right kind of padding at the bottom. Very cool to see other peoples costume awesome! oh and no I would not ever mind you sharing your thread, its awesome.

Last edited:
So finished the ears. and hated them, remind me too much of a stuffed animal, which isn't the look I was going for.
20140731_202637.jpg
so i sculpted some. Now I'm coating them in latex. Here they are drying. I'd normally make a mold for a smoother look, but I'm gonna punch fur in it, so it won't be too much of an issue.
20140801_081904_LLS.jpg
20140801_081909_LLS.jpg

gonna watch guardians in 3 hours, yay!!!

So i watched it and loved it. :) helped me to push forward. I attached the fur and started to shave it. I still have lots to do before airbrushing.
20140802_010729_LLS.jpg
Also started punching fur into the ears
20140802_010936_LLS.jpg

Where did you get the fur and tail from? And how are you attaching the fur?
From a seller on etsy, artito. it's the best faux fur I found. the tail is really small which isnt a problem because he's little, I bought it from eBay, a lot of fursuit communities have great tutorials on how to make a tail.I sew the pieces together by hand then hot glue the parts that touch the resin down. For the latex ears I punch fur through the ear.

From a seller on etsy, artito. it's the best faux fur I found. the tail is really small which isnt a problem because he's little, I bought it from eBay, a lot of fursuit communities have great tutorials on how to make a tail.I sew the pieces together by hand then hot glue the parts that touch the resin down. For the latex ears I punch fur through the ear.

Is this what you bought?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/176935420/raccoon-fur-8-long-by-6-wide-artificial?

Just wanting to be sure. How much did you buy/use?

Yup. I asked for it to be left in a chunk. It took me 7 pieces for his mask, because fur direction. If you don't have the fur in a natural direction, it'll look weird. I have to buy more for his arms and legs. It's pricey because the fur is nice. You can get a custom quote for a bigger chunk. If you make your template ahead of time, and use a big piece of cheap fabric and pretend it has fur flowing in one direction, place your pieces on it in orientation you would have to lay them. Then you can guess the size you would need. Explain what you need to her :)

Looking Great! You might even try some hairspray to get the wet matted fur look.

Haha we talked about doing that to keep his fur in place. :) so must be a good idea. Though we will wait till closer to the con so he dont get sticky

- - - Updated - - -

What glue are you using? Also, did you cut the fur loose from the fabric for the ears?

Hot glue. Normally that sucks for latex but because it's such a thin latex it seems to have bonded well. I took fur scraps, then cut fur as I needed it

Last edited:
Just did a head cast this weekend and can't wait to start the sculpt. Where did you buy the eyes and teeth?

Just did a head cast this weekend and can't wait to start the sculpt. Where did you buy the eyes and teeth?

awesome, you will have to share progress :) I sculpted the teeth and gums using sculpey for the gums and translucent clay for the teeth. When I get home I can take a look of the brand, as for the eyes, I purchased taxidermy glass eyes from tohickon, they have a beautiful selection, though I didn't check anywhere else. :p I used apoxie sculpt for the lids. His tongue I sculped from clay, made a plaster mold, then colored latex and filled it in :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back