"It's Dad's Grail Diary" - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Grail Diary

To answer your first question, no, the files won't be available. However, I have considered putting together a file that contains all text, page order, etc. It would be not a printable diary in any way, but it would provide folks with a way to easily understand what all should be in there. Would be offered for free, just something I thought would be helpful to those who want to create their own. I've only thought about it though and haven't started anything, so who know if or when I would have it done.

This would help Incredibly! I've been wanting to under take Henry Sr.'s diary for sometime now.I learned how to make a notebook/journal awhile back while working on my Abner Ravenwood journal. The diary has always been troublesome in that it has so many pages, with a lot on those pages. As in Abner's you have a lot of free range. So having the order of stuff and what where would be awesome!

Either way, insanly awesome job on your diary. She's utterly stunning

As for paper, I stay on the thin side and use 24lb. Researching how the original diaries were constructed and seeing a Hero in person, I have some theories on why this is more accurate. I know most folks use heavier paper, which is easier to age, but I prefer the results of what I'm using, even it requires a bit more work.

I am currently working on my diary and I decided to go with the 24lb. paper as well. I like the look and feel better than the heavier papers.
When you soak the pages in coffee and then dry them they don't get wrinkled?
Great info BTW, much appreciated.

This would help Incredibly! I've been wanting to under take Henry Sr.'s diary for sometime now.I learned how to make a notebook/journal awhile back while working on my Abner Ravenwood journal. The diary has always been troublesome in that it has so many pages, with a lot on those pages. As in Abner's you have a lot of free range. So having the order of stuff and what where would be awesome!

Either way, insanly awesome job on your diary. She's utterly stunning

Thank you very much.

I am currently working on my diary and I decided to go with the 24lb. paper as well. I like the look and feel better than the heavier papers.
When you soak the pages in coffee and then dry them they don't get wrinkled?
Great info BTW, much appreciated.

No problem.

Yes, they wrinkle a bit, but drying on the rack makes them warp less than drying on a flat surface. However, when I put the dried pages in the press with a bit of moisture (that's what I'm talking about in the last paragraph of Post 38) it gets rid of them completely.

Thank you very much.

No problem.

Yes, they wrinkle a bit, but drying on the rack makes them warp less than drying on a flat surface. However, when I put the dried pages in the press with a bit of moisture (that's what I'm talking about in the last paragraph of Post 38) it gets rid of them completely.

Ah ok, that is really helpful. I was soaking mine but they would really wrinkle up. This makes sense now how I need to be doing this.

Truly beautiful work! I have some cream Tomoe River paper and some Noodler's Aircorp Blue Black ink which I hope will work well enough when I get around to making one for myself. If it turns out half as well as yours I will be stoked!

I did have a couple of questions: How many sheets of paper have you used per signature? How did you go about practicing your handwriting? I.e. did you have a set of exercises you worked through?

Hi, I created an account just to tell you how amazing your project is. Kudos.

Thank you very much!

Truly beautiful work! I have some cream Tomoe River paper and some Noodler's Aircorp Blue Black ink which I hope will work well enough when I get around to making one for myself. If it turns out half as well as yours I will be stoked!

I did have a couple of questions: How many sheets of paper have you used per signature? How did you go about practicing your handwriting? I.e. did you have a set of exercises you worked through?

It is 4 pieces of paper per signature, so when they are folded (and counting both sides of the paper), that gives you 16 pages. No exercises per se, I went though pictures of the text and worked to develop the lettering style. A lot of it was getting to the point that I didn't have to think about making each individual letter the correct style, but more getting it to come as "natural" penmanship. When you're forcing each letter, it doesn't have the smooth style of normal writing.

Good luck on your diary, it's a fun journey!

Re: "It's Dad's Grail Diary" - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Grail Diary

I had no idea that all the content of all the pages at were known... What is the source of all these pages? This is amazing!

--- update ---

Just found out about the filling of the diary... :)

Last edited:
Wow! Just wow! Do you get paid for this? I'm trying to understand what would possess a person to do such an amazing thing. My first question was, where did he find the content. I don't remember that many pages being in the movie, but I see from other people's posts that there are other resource. Kudos. I'm amazed!

Amazing Diary! Longtime lurker, I actually remembered when you first posted it. This is what sparked my interest in the RPF. I am seriously considering doing one of these this year. Thank you for including so much information! I did have a couple questions regarding your process.

I used several pens with different nibs, as the original diary also had different weights to the text depending on the page. I believe the two really add to the realism. Once each page was complete, I would scan it and fit it to the page.

You went through great trouble to recreate a steady Henry Jones' handwriting, even using 3 pens, did you then scan your handwritten pages and then print them out for aging? If so, did you use the Noodler's ink in your printer? I'm just confused by this step.

I'm considering doing a handwritten version, but was curious as to if this was your process. I'm researching the pens/inks to use (fountain pen vs. Micron) and which of the illustrations I have the ability to do (not many). I've been practicing my Henry Jones' handwriting (it's a terrible process because I have awesome cursive penmanship, so I'm considering a lightbox). I do have problems writing without lines. If I added very light pencil lines for guides, do you think the aging process would disguise them?

Amazing Diary! Longtime lurker, I actually remembered when you first posted it. This is what sparked my interest in the RPF. I am seriously considering doing one of these this year. Thank you for including so much information! I did have a couple questions regarding your process.

You went through great trouble to recreate a steady Henry Jones' handwriting, even using 3 pens, did you then scan your handwritten pages and then print them out for aging? If so, did you use the Noodler's ink in your printer? I'm just confused by this step.

I'm considering doing a handwritten version, but was curious as to if this was your process. I'm researching the pens/inks to use (fountain pen vs. Micron) and which of the illustrations I have the ability to do (not many). I've been practicing my Henry Jones' handwriting (it's a terrible process because I have awesome cursive penmanship, so I'm considering a lightbox). I do have problems writing without lines. If I added very light pencil lines for guides, do you think the aging process would disguise them?

Thank you, glad it was an inspiration.

I used the noodlers ink only when writing it (it provides a solid dark black letter).

Printing was normal laser toner.

I have the same issue with writing in a straight line. After scanning, I was able to adjust each line or even down to the letter. So if a line slanted, I just cropped it and repositioned.

It’s possible that very faint pencil lines may be hidden by aging, though graphite doesn’t bleed. Best to do some tests and ser what results you get.

Thanks for the reply! So, to get this straight your process is: Handwrite pages, scan the pages, digitally adjust the pages, then print them out? You said you used 24 lb paper, is it parchment style or just standard printer paper? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just really want to do this the right way.

If I added very light pencil lines for guides, do you think the aging process would disguise them?

Perhaps google a “drafting dry cleaning pad. It may work well for removing faint pencil lines, as that’s essentially what it is intended for. Basically a small, loosely woven pouch of gum eraser dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back