Han Solo ANH DL-44 SCOPE: All Hensoldts and Variations POST YOURS TOO

scottjua

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, so I've been crazy busy and lucky lately. None of these came cheap, but in the quest for prop accuracy I carry on.

With so many weird variations on the hensoldt wetzlar Ziel Dialyt 3x scope, I've come across a few different ones. All the correct model... all different, and no parts are interchangeable on them due to tiny variances in tolerances and parts.

They ARE all the same size and shape though... You'll see a DEC replica at the bottom, which has the correct bell dimensions, windage knob, and everything is spot on to my examples except the barrel length is different. Go figure. It's supposed to be based on a real scope, so I don't doubt there's more variations out there.

One of these (which is for sale when I get time to post it) has/had an adjustment knob for focus. I removed it for these pics... and the windage knob on that one is HARD as heck to move and stuck. The hole for the adjustment notch though would be covered on a blaster by the mount rings anyway.

IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5790.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5782.jpg

This cross hair WAS straight when I got it.. but the heat from the torch to remove the claws warped it. I'm not brave enough to gut it to try to fix it either... Oh well.
IMG_5791.jpg

IMG_5792.jpg

IMG_5794.jpg

IMG_5795.jpg

replica by DEC
IMG_5796.jpg

IMG_5798.jpg

IMG_5799.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Han Solo ANH DL-44 SCOPE: All my Hensoldts

Very cool, Scott! I can't believe you managed to get your hands on so many!

FYI, it's not too hard to straighten out the cross hair. I had to do it in mine. Just keep good track of how everything comes apart and it goes back together easily.

One came today actually. ^_^

Ok man, you gotta tell me how to do it then. Please....

Hey Scott ... very nice collection indeed ... and it seems there are more then 1 variations ...
mine is also a correct model yet not a ZIEL and has the wrong knob hence not really screen-
accurate but close enough for me. If only I could get those clamps removed with my two left
hands :wacko

Question : to remove the clamps with a blow torch did you also screw out the front and back
barrel lenses to avoid them being being damaged by the heat applied? I know this would in
fact result in the internal gas to escape . . . but since that has already occured through my
own ignorance and curiosity that's not important anymore since in the end the scope will be
put on my blaster anyways. I just need to be certain that it would be better to remove those
glass lenses so they will stay intact after the clamps are finally removed :wacko

Chaim

wow...nice,

...and yes, the replica dims were taken off a real, accurate vintage HW. Interesting variations... for a precision instrument.! : )

You said the parts weren't interchangeable, but did you end up with one that has the screen accurate engraving and the right knurling on the knob?

As for disassembly, I started by unscrewing both end rings and then it sort of tells you how it has to come apart. There are more retaining rings, the lenses, etc. I laid them all out on a diagram that I updated as I removed the parts. Disassemble the windage knob and remove it. Unscrew the small screws in the tube near the knob to release the crosshair holder doohickey, which is a cylinder of brass with a dovetailed slider so the crosshairs can be moved up and down by turning the windage knob. I pushed it out toward the front with a wooden dowel just slightly smaller than the tube. This way you won't risk damaging the exposed crosshairs, which are just thin pieces of wire soldered in place so be gentle, but you should be able to bend them straight again. It'll all make sense once you start taking it apart.

The hardest part of putting it together was lining up the screw hole for the cross-hair holder with the countersunk hole in the tube, but it didn't take too long. Some double stick tape on the end of the dowel used to push the crosshair holder back in would probably have helped.

Very nice collection of Hensoldts! Sorry in advanced, but I have to ask; would any ever be for sale? :thumbsup

You've accumulated a fine collection of scopes.
The comparison images shown are quite educational. It's certainly interesting to see how they varied.

Those are beautiful. I would love to get my hands on one. Anyone know why there is so much differentiation in scopes?

I'd love to know too... just whacky why they're all so different. Different knobs, cross hairs. One of mine even had a super thick front lens ring, that I lathed down.

Markus, post your pics here, and take some new ones. This can be the catch all Hensoldt thread. Or your thread... either way.

Does anybody machine these? I can't find a real one and doubt I could afford it if I did!

I already gave you the answer ;)

check out the JY fot the most recent run of parts, including repro H&W scope :)

Markus

Is it just me or does the DEC bell seem to have a slightly sharper transition where the bell tapers? The taper of the originals seem slightly rounder in these pics.

Question : to remove the clamps with a blow torch did you also screw out the front and back barrel lenses to avoid them being
damaged by the heat applied?

Chaim

I didn't do it on any of mine and never had any problems.
But since the crosshair bent on Scotts scope, I would recommend it...now :lol

Markus

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back