Subscribe
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Mar 27, 2014, 8:24 AM - Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #1

Maybe this is old news around here, but I didn't see anything in searching.

There was an article in Model Railroader a few issues back covering different paint types. And who would know better about colors originally used for model railroad stuff. At any rate here is what had to say on replacing those discontinued colors...

MicroMark has a line called MicroLux created for them by Vallejo. It features 28 colors divided into two groups. The "Top 10" colors (Reefer White, Aged Concrete, and Engine Black among others) are sold in 2 oz bottles with the Microlux branding. The remaining 18 are offered in 1/2 ounce eye-drop-style bottles with a Acrylicos Vallejo Air label.

(Here's the important part ) All of the colors match the discontinued Poly Scale line

The paint can be airbrushed straight from the bottle without thinning, but can be thinned with alcohol or water and dry to a flat finish

Apparently they are only available through direct sales from MicroMark though

Here's Refer White
    MicroLux Acrylic Paint, Reefer White, 2 Ounces

Grimy Black
    MicroLux Acrylic Paint, Grimy Black, 2 Ounces

Roof Red
    MicroLux Acrylic Paint, Roof Red, 2 Ounces

Here's the rest of the line
    MicroLux Paints
    Vallejo Paints
    Mar 27, 2014, 9:39 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #2

Yup saw this in the latest micro-mark catalog .........thanks for sharing.
  3. MonsieurTox is offline MonsieurTox
    Mar 27, 2014, 1:15 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #3

Thanks for sharing !
    From
    West Oz.
    Apr 4, 2014, 12:47 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #4

So Polly Scale acrylics gone as well as Floquil?
    My local supplier still has plenty of Polly Scale colours.
    From
    California
    Apr 5, 2014, 11:04 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #5

Floquil was bought by Testors who still make those colors under the their name now.
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 6:54 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #6

I thought I'd bump this info with the renewed interest in paint colors for a certain recent kit release.

Microlux colors with a new link.
    https://www.micromark.com/Microlux-A...?paintcolors=4

Badger Modelflex Railroad Colors.
    https://www.megahobby.com/products/m...es-badger.html

http://www.hobbylinc.com/badger-hobb...-acrylic-paint

http://www.hobbylinc.com/badger-mode...lic-paint-1602

Testors Acrylic Reefer White.
    http://www.hobbylinc.com/testors-ree...lic-paint-4873
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 8:10 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #7

Maybe some of you guys already know about this, but there is a guy that has just released an enamel paint collection that is a full replication of the Floquil colors used by ILM. I am by no means any type of authority in this area, but he seems like he put quite a lot of work into getting them right, the paints look really good...but again, I have no idea. Maybe some of the more seasoned members around here could weigh in.

He doesn't currently have a storefront or website. You can check it out on Facebook.

The name of the paints is Archive-X, just type that into the search field in Facebook.
    From
    New Hampshire
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 9:51 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #8

The work he has done is fantastic!
    From
    Delft, The Netherlands
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 8:48 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #9

Yep certainly is. Guy has put in a LOT of work to get it right and if you check the Facebook page you'll see some amazing examples of painted models using his line. Check out the results and decide for yourself.
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 11:26 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #10

My paint set should be here by the end of the week.
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 1:57 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #11

I haven't used enamel paint in years for all the common reasons - clogging, thickness, fills detail, tougher to correct mistakes, etc...

So it there a reason Archive X went with enamel rather than lacquer? Is there a secret to using enamels and I missed a memo?
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 2:30 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #12

shadowman said: View Post
    I haven't used enamel paint in years for all the common reasons - clogging, thickness, fills detail, tougher to correct mistakes, etc...

So it there a reason Archive X went with enamel rather than lacquer? Is there a secret to using enamels and I missed a memo?
    That would be a question for Guy, he is very accessible via his Facebook page. Just ask.
    From
    London
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 23, 2017, 1:28 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #13

shadowman said: View Post

Likely for true authenticity, as the original paints were enamel. The weathering techniques ILM used could then be replicated more accurately at the very least. I've certainly tried those more abrasive techniques with acrylics and they don't work well so I'm back using enamel as I find the finish much more resiliant.
    From
    Delft, The Netherlands
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 23, 2017, 2:24 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #14

OK ask Guy on Facebook if you want the full answer:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1696820240623353/

But what I know is this. Authenticity would mean lacquers. The Enamel line by Floquil wasn't available until close to end of production of Return of the Jedi. ILM used lacquers. So why do enamels? Cause you can't ship lacquers anywhere nowadays.

What Guy did is painstakingly research the various hues (yes there's more hues than 1 per "color") of the Floquil lacquer line and reproduce them in enamels to get the best balance between properties and still being able to get the paint to the modeller.
  15. Member Since
    Dec 2005
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 24, 2017, 9:17 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #15

Look into Scalecoat and Scalecoat II paints. They also have micro pigments. I thin mine down with lacquer thinner for Brass steam loco models. You don't need primers. Scalecoat II is OK on plastic.
  16. RPF Premium Member Studio Kitbash's Avatar
    From
    Wheaton, IL
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 8:59 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #16

Guy's paints just arrived and they are fantastic -- highly recommended. Be aware that if you order the Legacy Set (25 bottles + 5 free), they arrive most typically in two different boxes, on two different days of the week. So don't panic (like I did), just wait a few days, and they'll show up. Well worth the wait.

marvin said: View Post
    OK ask Guy on Facebook if you want the full answer:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1696820240623353/

But what I know is this. Authenticity would mean lacquers. The Enamel line by Floquil wasn't available until close to end of production of Return of the Jedi. ILM used lacquers. So why do enamels? Cause you can't ship lacquers anywhere nowadays.

What Guy did is painstakingly research the various hues (yes there's more hues than 1 per "color") of the Floquil lacquer line and reproduce them in enamels to get the best balance between properties and still being able to get the paint to the modeller.
  17. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 10:23 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #17

I did panic too when I've received the first box. I thought I had the order from someone else.
    My second box arrived a week later. That's funny when you know that the two boxes have been sent at the same time. Go figure.
    the paints are just gorgeous.

Studio Kitbash said: View Post
    Guy's paints just arrived and they are fantastic -- highly recommended. Be aware that if you order the Legacy Set (25 bottles + 5 free), they arrive most typically in two different boxes, on two different days of the week. So don't panic (like I did), just wait a few days, and they'll show up. Well worth the wait.
  18. RPF Premium Member sapper36's Avatar
    From
    Flori-duh!
    6 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 9:29 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #18

So how much did the legacy collection cost?

19. RPF Premium Member Studio Kitbash's Avatar
    From
    Wheaton, IL
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 11:51 AM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #19

The legacy set costs 300 British Pounds (shipping included), which at the time of purchase was equivalent to USD $409, so you're looking at $13.63 per bottle.

sapper36 said: View Post
    So how much did the legacy collection cost?
    From
    Washington DC
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 12:04 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #20

That is quite an investment. What is the shelf life on these paints? And can you purchase replacements by the bottle if you run out of one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  21. RPF Premium Member sapper36's Avatar
    From
    Flori-duh!
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 12:09 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #21

Thanks - That is pricy - Guess I'll be going another route for paint.

The legacy set costs 300 British Pounds (shipping included), which at the time of purchase was equivalent to USD $409, so you're looking at $13.63 per bottle.
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 1:20 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #22

Fusion said: View Post
    And can you purchase replacements by the bottle if you run out of one?

10 bottle minimum for international orders.
  23. RPF Premium Member Studio Kitbash's Avatar
    From
    Wheaton, IL
    4 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 1:04 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #23

Shelf life of these paints is exactly 40 years... starting from May 25, 2017... ; )

Fusion said: View Post
    That is quite an investment. What is the shelf life on these paints? And can you purchase replacements by the bottle if you run out of one?

Last edited by Studio Kitbash; 4 Days Ago at 2:37 PM.
  24. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    4 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 3:20 PM - Re: Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)? #24

I wonder if you need the complete legacy set.
    I think that the 3 primaries and the white, greys and weathering colours are sufficient,.,..at least for me that is.
    I am thinking 14 bottles max.
    Still pricy though for a small bottle of enamel paint.
    I wonder if colour maching these colours and mixing your own(in a laquer binder) is considered as some kind of "recasting"
    The pictures of projects on which these colours were used look very prommising.
    Guy(and his team?) did a great job i think.