Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

I didn't like the existing hinge design as the bottom of the faceplate was still in front of my eyes in the fully raised position, and too high off the top of the helmet.

The vertical side of the faceplate has to push forward slightly before raising in order to clear the corner of the helmet, then as it moves rearward the top of the faceplate needs to drop and hug the back of the helmet.

Prototyping and engineering with cardboard first saves you loads of time and money!

Last edited by a moderator:
The advantage with pva is that it doesnt dry instantly so you have 20-30 seconds to get the position perfect and it doesnt increase the thickness of the material. Plus if you buy it from a builders merchant it canqbe very cheap.
Alright I'll try out pva. Should I buy pva or wood pva or is there a certain type?

- - - Updated - - -

Also the helmet looks great! Keep up the great work!

Transformers machined and fitted into keys in the acrylic ring. Channel milled on the inside of the acrylic ring to fit LED strip lighting.

71SUzMO.jpg

Today's activities out and about and in the shed. I had a heap of knife making to do so I didn't get much time on the suit.

I bought thinner wire for all the LED lights and a little thicker,(less resistance) wire for the servo motors.

30WDkzi.jpg

Tapped threads for the spine plates.

JJD7T8k.jpg

Started hinging the hand armour.

VH250FK.jpg

khOOBMa.jpg

^^^ Onya folks! :D

One of the challenges of keeping proportions in the suit is the ability to squeeze a normal human body part through a fantastically superheroish piece of armour.

To solve the narrow wrist that was taking skin off my hand on the way back out, I cut a panel out, hinged it and entry and exit is now a breeze.

6rXb2PN.jpg

EZmuNwj.jpg

Just caught up on the progress and the hand and arm looks really good. How is it going for move-ability? What areas are the most restrictive?
Do you display your blade smithing on another forum? Or could you please throw a couple of photos up on here?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back