STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

...i saw how they were saying in here they should be white.

56147281.jpg

Those two guys have been ISB since the late '80s, when West End Games invented the term for their role-playing game. It's definitely distknct from the Grand Admiral uniform that came later. The ISB uniform we saw in ANH is black cap and breeches, ecru (off-white) jacket of a cut different from all the other Imperials -- the front placket only goes just past the centerline, instead of all the way up to the opposite shoulder. Thrawn's uniform, on the other hand, is an all-white version of the Imperial Starfleet uniform, identical in cut, with gold epaulets and no cap.

Annoyingly, Filoni thought Yularen, in the conference room scene was wearing a white uniform. Didn't realize he was one of those ISB guys. Basic Google fail. Hence introducing Yularen in Clone Wars as a "mere" Admiral. When his error was pointed out, he changed the character's narrative to have him leave the fleet after the Clone Wars o join the new ISB. Given all of that is why i found it curious that he then introduced a completely new ISB uniform in Rebels. Not saying there's no way the Empire's uniforms can't evolve, or that they can't have different uniforms for different duty situations. Just that it's an odd creative choice after he went through all that with Yularen. *shrug*

--Jonah

And THIS is why they dumped the EU. Too much to track and in of itself, there were contradictions. They're not contradicting anything as, techinically, it no longer exists. And to be really picky - it NEVER existed in canon at all.

It was a really LONG time ago, but the defender came out in the TIE fighter game - possibly an expansion to it as a new test vehicle IIRC. I want to say it was post DSI, but it was 20+ freaking years ago. Doesn't mean it's design wasn't around 1, 2, or 10 years before it existed. It may have required tech that does not yet exist for all we know.

Just seems cool to me to see it onscreen after all this time.

What canon currently exists in regards to the following:
-White Imperial Tunic uniforms

Thrawn, Star Wars: Rebels

Star Wars : Rebels

-Yularen and his position during ANH

Name canon as of Clone Wars, only ANH reference is the costume he wore, unidentified in canon. And before you spike your cane on the ground and declare "quod erat demonstrandum!", the point was that while Filoni and others are doing an impressive job of working much of the EU into the new canon, and fairly quickly, some changes don't seem to make much sense and seem to have been done purely for change's sake. From 1987 to 2014, this was Colonel Wullf Yularen, a member of the Imperial Security Bureau (that uniform thus being the uniform of said ISB):

latest?cb=20111029215424.jpg

(of the two ISB guys, on the right in the following)
73hydx.jpg

For all the contradictions within the EU, or between the EU and the films, that contradicted nothing, and nothing in the EU ever contradicted it. So why change the uniform when including the character, his name, and his organization? Oh, and it gets worse. How about when canon contradicts canon? From Rebels Recon, we see that we're going to be getting a more ANH-y Yularen...

BjflVlzIMAA16YS.jpg

...in the wrong colored gorram pants!

[ETA: I just noticed the jacket is the wrong cut and color, too. *sigh]

See, in something else, like Star Trek, where we have ample examples over the years of alternate uniforms for alternate duty conditions, I can more easily write off the variances. But when in Star Wars we see, say, Imperial Starfleet personnel aboard ship, in climate-controlled installations, on the battlefield in frigid conditions, in a forest in temperate conditions, etc., all wearing the same uniform, the variations seem more to be either an evolution of a design (like the Republic/Imperial uniform randomly going from the familiar cut -- sans breast pockets -- in TPM, to the whatever-the-hell bizarre cut in ROTS, back to the familiar cut again for the whole of the OT)... or an error. If I'm going Hey -- why did they change that?" instead of "oo, cool -- a new uniform variation for the ISB", then I'd say it wasn't handled as well as it could be. *shrug*

--Jonah

Last edited:
For the love of god, man....

You're talking about massively minute details that 1 of 500,000 viewers are going to pick up on.

Someone asked before what ISB stands for - i'd like to know too.

I'm not sure what 'canon' exists for white shirts in ANH either. Yes, there are a few guys, but it wasn't thought out until well after the fact. And you barely see the pants on one of them. Who says they HAVE to wear the pants shown from ANH? Clone Wars? a book? or where ever? I mean, if suddenly the good guys were in TIE's and the bad guys in XWings, ok, that's a screw up worth going to town over. This? no.

I really can't imagine there's anyone else that is getting worked up over imperial uniform variations.

There are things you need to just let go. This is one of those things.

Stay with me on this...

Did F-15s and F-16s exist in 1986? Yes

Did we see them in Top Gun? No

Does that mean something was wrong with the movie because of this fact? No

Why? Because the military forces involved in that story did not give us exposure to broader aspects of what existed in the world. In fact we know that not only the US, but other nations of the world have many different types of fighter aircraft.

Same with Star Wars.

The events we see in the movies are just a small bit of a larger Star Wars universe. Maybe the Defenders did exist in the era and they just are not utilized in the battles we see. Maybe the Rebels do something to delay production or expose a weakness that make the design obsolete. We just don't have all the information. I know some fans think they know everything, but they don't. But that's usually why fans get pissed off when elements are introduced that conflicts with their personal understanding of the Star Wars universe.

I'm not arguing about that. I have no problem, I'm just saying my own opinion on how they should have spaced the Defender out and how they could explain it missing from other SW media.

I tried watching Top Gun last week after not seeing it since the early 90s. I had to turn it off because the inaccuracies bug the crap out of me. I had it when he said he was going to try a Sidewinder lock and instead of a growl it did the typical "beep, beep, beep" lockon sound that Hollywood loves.

I have no idea what ISB stands for

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Imperial Security Bureau.

Stick to watching documentary's I guess .
Then the inconsistencies are actually
Lies !

You know like Highlander .

Last edited:
I saw a little video on the tie defender the other day. The guy was making the claim that on the battle of endor, the empire through everything they had at the rebels. Therefore, unless they retired them before, it doesn't make sense for them to predate that battle

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thrawn, Star Wars: Rebels

Star Wars : Rebels

Name canon as of Clone Wars, only ANH reference is the costume he wore, unidentified in canon. And before you spike your cane on the ground and declare "quod erat demonstrandum!", the point was that while Filoni and others are doing an impressive job of working much of the EU into the new canon, and fairly quickly, some changes don't seem to make much sense and seem to have been done purely for change's sake. From 1987 to 2014, this was Colonel Wullf Yularen, a member of the Imperial Security Bureau (that uniform thus being the uniform of said ISB):

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...Yularen.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111029215424
(of the two ISB guys, on the right in the following)
http://i66.tinypic.com/73hydx.jpg

For all the contradictions within the EU, or between the EU and the films, that contradicted nothing, and nothing in the EU ever contradicted it. So why change the uniform when including the character, his name, and his organization? Oh, and it gets worse. How about when canon contradicts canon? From Rebels Recon, we see that we're going to be getting a more ANH-y Yularen...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjflVlzIMAA16YS.jpg

...in the wrong colored gorram pants!

[ETA: I just noticed the jacket is the wrong cut and color, too. *sigh]

See, in something else, like Star Trek, where we have ample examples over the years of alternate uniforms for alternate duty conditions, I can more easily write off the variances. But when in Star Wars we see, say, Imperial Starfleet personnel aboard ship, in climate-controlled installations, on the battlefield in frigid conditions, in a forest in temperate conditions, etc., all wearing the same uniform, the variations seem more to be either an evolution of a design (like the Republic/Imperial uniform randomly going from the familiar cut -- sans breast pockets -- in TPM, to the whatever-the-hell bizarre cut in ROTS, back to the familiar cut again for the whole of the OT)... or an error. If I'm going Hey -- why did they change that?" instead of "oo, cool -- a new uniform variation for the ISB", then I'd say it wasn't handled as well as it could be. *shrug*

--Jonah

I'm just not seeing the contradictions in the canon. There is nothing that states that ISB wear only white uniforms and the there is nothing that says a white uniform is exclusive to ISB.. There is also nothing that states that Yularen was ISB. He could be wearing a white uniform for an entirely different reason. It could be that white uniforms are assigned to a wide range of personnel and assignments. For instance. Most of the Working uniforms in the USN utilize the blue Digital Navy Working Uniform (NWUs). However Green uniforms are issued to Navy personnel in the Navy who fall under the Expeditionary mission such as Expeditionary Logistics, Brig Security, Customs, Cargo Handling, SeaBees, etc...

Is there a new episode on tonight? My tv guide says Phineas and and Ferb, Drone Racing League, and Lab Rats.

Mine too. However, my DVR recorded what was supposed to be the new Rebels episode last night according to the guide, but it was the wrong show.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back