STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

This blew me away. It was NOT what I expected to be their secret plans.
As a seasoned TIE Fighter PC game pilot - Phoenix squadron would be so screwed if these get made.
(Of course, it'll all be OK.)

Honestly, I was expecting it to be the TIE Striker; or MAYBE the Avenger, since the Inquisitor TIEs had been prototyped on Lothal.

I was kind of hoping the new prototype was going to be the beginnings of Vader's TIE. But, I guess with Rebels being a few years before ANH maybe that is too soon.

I was kind of hoping the new prototype was going to be the beginnings of Vader's TIE. But, I guess with Rebels being a few years before ANH maybe that is too soon.

They already showed Vader's TIE:

vader-atop-tiefighter.jpg

This blew me away. It was NOT what I expected to be their secret plans.
As a seasoned TIE Fighter PC game pilot - Phoenix squadron would be so screwed if these get made.
(Of course, it'll all be OK.)

Honestly, I was expecting it to be the TIE Striker; or MAYBE the Avenger, since the Inquisitor TIEs had been prototyped on Lothal.

I kept thinking it was either the TIE Advanced or Defender, but I figured that was unlikely. I really like how they are integrating EU things where they fit instead of designing new things first.

I've been avoiding the R1 trailers, at this point, but OMGOMGOMGOMG!

As for the Defender, I still think it makes better sense to use the more advance version of the Inquisitor & Vader's TIE in the Avenger. BUT, the Defender is much more visually distinct, so I can see why they went with it. That, and it's the most friggin awesome TIE variant of them all. Hopefully, we'll get to see at least 1 in action with ion cannons!

Well they missed the perfect chance to use the TIE Advanced in TFA because it's the logical next step from Vader's TIE. But nooooo... we just repaint the solar panels.

I'm not sure how much of the Defender we'll see, but I like some of the cool, unconventional, stuff they did with them in the X-Wing novels where they used the tractor beam to rip the gate off of a prison.

If that is the Ghost, I wonder if some of the other ships are Phoenix squadron? There are at least two Corvettes there and we know those hammerhead ships showed up on Rebels (if it's THAT class).

As much as I appreciate Filoni for working to get EU stuff into canon via Clone Wars and Rebels, I wish 1) he'd get the details right (Kallus as ISB should have had the ANH ISB jacket -- especially after Dave was made aware that's what it was in that film, and that Yularen wasn't a Grand Admiral) and 2) he'd resepct some timeline stuff a bit more... I don't mind the A-Wing being older. That works. I don't mind the B-Wing prototype being around now. It's likely going to take a bit to build even the few that we see in ROTJ. That's fine. I like th eprogressive evolution of th eY-Wing that we see. I like the Inquisitor's TIE. But.

Vader's TIE Advanced should be new-ish as of ANH. I don't mind a few more, like maybe a test squadron, being out there, but I prefer the EU evolution of it into the TIE Avenger. After ANH. The Defender should be, IMO, even later -- brand new right around ROTJ. I would have been happier if this had been the new canon rollout of the Avenger, or the TIE Interceptor (which have been annoyingly absent).

As for TFA... I still cling to my take that the First Order is using whatever old, pre-ANH matériel was on Ilum over the decades it was being reworked into the Starkiller. Those old-model walkers and landing craft... TIE Fighters, some of which reworked into augmented two-seaters... After the Imperial defeat at the Battle of Jakku, I'd say their biggest priority was building some new capital ships to replace the ones lost against the Rebels. I still maintain that the Imperial Remnant has a secret reserve of the good stuff that they stashed away during the disarmament, and it will maybe show up in this new era -- but don't look to the First Order for it. Or, possibly, while not at Starkiller, the First Order might have some of the newer stuff wherever the rest of their forces are -- wherever Snoke is. There are at least two more of that new class of Star Destroyer out there...

--Jonah

As much as I appreciate Filoni for working to get EU stuff into canon via Clone Wars and Rebels, I wish 1) he'd get the details right (Kallus as ISB should have had the ANH ISB jacket -- especially after Dave was made aware that's what it was in that film, and that Yularen wasn't a Grand Admiral) and 2) he'd resepct some timeline stuff a bit more... I don't mind the A-Wing being older. That works. I don't mind the B-Wing prototype being around now. It's likely going to take a bit to build even the few that we see in ROTJ. That's fine. I like th eprogressive evolution of th eY-Wing that we see. I like the Inquisitor's TIE. But.

Two things come to mind regarding Kallus' uniform. One, it's possible that what he's wearing is a field uniform, after all, white would be very impractical when you're out in the field and running current investigations and actively trying to hunt down Rebel spies and the like. The white uniform could easily be the equivalent of their service dress which would only be worn while in garrison or when assigned to major outposts like the Death Star and the Imperial equivalent of the Pentagon and other major bases.

The other thing that comes to mind is that there's enough time between Rebels and ANH that the ISB changes from grey to white uniforms. After all, we do see that there are some minor changes from the standard Imperial Navy uniform with the removal of the collar insignia by ANH, so it's entirely possible that they could a brand new uniform so as to distinguish themselves from the rest of the Imperial military.

Last edited:
Two things come to mind regarding Kallus' uniform. One, it's possible that what he's wearing is a field uniform, after all, white would be very impractical when you're out in the field and running current investigations and actively trying to hunt down Rebel spies and the like. The white uniform could easily a be the equivalent of their service dress which would only be worn while in garrison or when assigned to major outposts like the Death Star and the Imperial equivalent of the Pentagon and other major bases.

Agreed

As a Naval Officer, I wore black (navy blue), kakhi, white, digital green, digital blue.

But it is really quite simple....

Kallus is supposed to wear a grey uniform or he wouldn't be wearing it. Tell me where it says in the canon a person in Kallus' job must wear white and only white.

Kallus is supposed to wear a grey uniform or he wouldn't be wearing it. Tell me where it says in the canon a person in Kallus' job must wear white and only white.

Well what planet are we on and what season is it?

I don't mind them altering the timeline of when ships were introduced that much. I would have maybe held the Defender back to post ANH, at the least, though. They could always say the Seinar had the design for a while and built some prototypes before it went into limited production later on. They still can't do much more than the old EU did with it though because people would say "Where was that in the OT?!".

Well what planet are we on and what season is it?

I don't mind them altering the timeline of when ships were introduced that much. I would have maybe held the Defender back to post ANH, at the least, though. They could always say the Seinar had the design for a while and built some prototypes before it went into limited production later on. They still can't do much more than the old EU did with it though because people would say "Where was that in the OT?!".

Stay with me on this...

Did F-15s and F-16s exist in 1986? Yes

Did we see them in Top Gun? No

Does that mean something was wrong with the movie because of this fact? No

Why? Because the military forces involved in that story did not give us exposure to broader aspects of what existed in the world. In fact we know that not only the US, but other nations of the world have many different types of fighter aircraft.

Same with Star Wars.

The events we see in the movies are just a small bit of a larger Star Wars universe. Maybe the Defenders did exist in the era and they just are not utilized in the battles we see. Maybe the Rebels do something to delay production or expose a weakness that make the design obsolete. We just don't have all the information. I know some fans think they know everything, but they don't. But that's usually why fans get pissed off when elements are introduced that conflicts with their personal understanding of the Star Wars universe.

Last edited:
Not sure what those two are, I think that they're ISB, but I'm no too up on my Imperial uniform ID. At any rate, ISB stands for Imperial Security Bureau; I believe they're the Imperial equivalent of the KGB or Gestapo/SD.

i would have never guessed that! i just googled star wars isb officer, and those guys popped up a few times, i saw how they were saying in here they should be white.

the only white officer i knew of was thrawn. then when i saw this picture i forgot about in ANH. then again i thought that is was a cream color jacket, must have been my old tv lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back