Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

Wouldn't a ramp be ADA compliant, or would the grade on the Falcon's ramp be too steep?

I used to know the ADA completely, but that was 20 years ago :)

There are rules about steepness and how long before you have to have a landing, handrails, etc. Falcon would fail on steepness and no handrails :) There's no ADA compliant ramp that goes up 5-6ish feet in a single shot.

I used to know the ADA completely, but that was 20 years ago :)

There are rules about steepness and how long before you have to have a landing, handrails, etc. Falcon would fail on steepness and no handrails :) There's no ADA compliant ramp that goes up 5-6ish feet in a single shot.

It could be done, it would just have to be freakishly long is all.

Anyway, theoretically, if Disney really wanted to add authenticity to the ride they could make the ramp actually functional and would, theoretically, make it ADA compliant. The guest in the wheelchair/scooter rolls up a couple of feet on the ramp, locks the wheels or gets held in place and then the ramp lifts the wheelchair/scooter up; problem solved. :)

I really hope they can think the ADA access through thoroughly, because I work on an attraction that is a nightmare for it, and I'm sure the Falcon ride will draw huge crowds.

It could be done, it would just have to be freakishly long is all.

Anyway, theoretically, if Disney really wanted to add authenticity to the ride they could make the ramp actually functional and would, theoretically, make it ADA compliant. The guest in the wheelchair/scooter rolls up a couple of feet on the ramp, locks the wheels or gets held in place and then the ramp lifts the wheelchair/scooter up; problem solved. :)

Still gotta add hand rails and with a rising platform, likely full handrails (i.e. top rail and mid rail).

I've never actually been to California Adventures; I based my "failure" statement on feedback I've gotten from people who have been to it (almost all negative--the comment I heard most often was "It was boring") and the fact that they started a major redesign and expansion less than seven years after it opened.

In my opinion Universal Studios was far more interesting before it became an amusement park--the studio tour was longer so you got to see more of the backlot, and there was far more focus on Universal's movie history. Now they give you the bum's rush through the tour so they can get you back to the shops, restaurants, and lame attractions that they used as an excuse to drastically increase their admittance prices.

It's worth pointing out (as I have a parent who used to work as a tour guide and still has friends that do) that it isn't to get you to the shops, restaurants, and lame attractions
They have filming constantly at any given time, and when they do they cannot go anywhere where you might see the film crew/cast, as people have been known to jump out and disrupt filming (one of whom was Steven Spielberg before he was a director).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's worth pointing out (as I have a parent who used to work as a tour guide and still has friends that do) that it isn't to get you to the shops, restaurants, and lame attractions
They have filming constantly at any given time, and when they do they cannot go anywhere where you might see the film crew/cast, as people have been known to jump out and disrupt filming (one of whom was Steven Spielberg before he was a director).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way back when while working on Delirious I stepped outside the sound stage for a minute and John Candy was there doing the same. We joked that if a tram went by if anyone would recognize him.... A tram imminently came by and a cache of people went nuts. We walked over and he shook a few hands, some people snapped pics, then we went back inside. Some years later while near that same sound stage working on the taxi scenes for Man on the Moon some of us and Jim Carey as Tony Clifton hopped on a tram in which we were removed by security as he was in total character. The best one was during Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull Harrison Ford would stop and take pictures with everyone and even go up to people and ask if they wanted a photo, then imminently as he walked away security ran up and demanded the photos be deleted. This was recurring as he did it at Universal and Downey Studios. While at Downey Studios he "borrowed" a studio electric cart and drove out onto the sidewalk, around the studio and to the drive through down the street then returned with a bag of fries all while in full Indy costume, hat, whip and all.

Here's my thoughts on California Adventure at Disneyland, the park serves beer. Win.

That definitely is an appeal to some, but I've never been one for paying for beer at venues like this where the prices tend to be grossly inflated. However, having seen the prices at DCA, I have to say that I'm rather surprised at the prices, while there is a mark up as you'd expect at a theme park, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, it's only about $1 - $2 more than at some restaurants, if that.

Overall, DCA is not bad, I still like Disneyland better but it's definitely not that bad. Its main fault is that it doesn't have quite as many rides as Disneyland but what it does have are lots of fun. Screamin', Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Radiator Springs Racers, and the new Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters are all great rides and a lot of fun and they have a nice area that's done up like nature preserve/wilderness camp that kids can run around in. It's come a long ways since it first opened and I'd say that it's well worth the visit.

You're in SoCal, though, right? We have the advantage of being able to go whenever we want and avoid the crowds. Usually after the rugrats go back to school. I've gone on a Monday in the fall where we practically had the park to ourselves. Also January - February usually isn't too bad.

You're in SoCal, though, right? We have the advantage of being able to go whenever we want and avoid the crowds. Usually after the rugrats go back to school. I've gone on a Monday in the fall where we practically had the park to ourselves. Also January - February usually isn't too bad.

That's only if you have the luxury of going during the week. My wife and I both work M - F s only time we'd be able to go during the week is either on a holiday, which makes the point of going largely moot, or on some random day off.

It's going to be so insanely packed though - I can see the crowds frustrating the overall experience.

Thats part of the Disneyland experience. Somehow finding inner peace and not going all Kylo on a console at the person in line behind you that hasnt quite grasped the concept of personal space much less the fact your spine is not an elbow guard. It all starts at the starting line which is the escalators from the parking lot. People just forget others exist. #DisneyExperience

We are here this week and spent the last 3 days in the park and even though it's during the week it's still crowded but they do an amazing job with line management. And the Fast Pass system works great if you plan your day right. We've ridden everything and never waited more then 30min. Except for a Spider Man/ Captain America character meet, that took 45min.

Thats part of the Disneyland experience. Somehow finding inner peace and not going all Kylo on a console at the person in line behind you that hasnt quite grasped the concept of personal space much less the fact your spine is not an elbow guard. It all starts at the starting line which is the escalators from the parking lot. People just forget others exist. #DisneyExperience

You still park at Mickey & Friends? Do yourself a favor, go park at the Toy Story lot, it's a lot less crowded so it's quicker and easier to find a spot and you don't have to wait nearly as long to get on a bus to the park, that's both to and from the parking lot. The only disadvantage is that it's just a parking so there's shade or cover of any kind, meaning your car will get hot during the summer, but if you're leaving at night then that shouldn't really matter.

The best part of our Disneyworld trip this year. Some lady using my youngest daughters head as a camera rest during the electric light parade.

I only caught it after it had happened about three or four times. Bless my daughters heart though - she didn't smack the lady.

-Gary

The best part of our Disneyworld trip this year. Some lady using my youngest daughters head as a camera rest during the electric light parade.

I only caught it after it had happened about three or four times. Bless my daughters heart though - she didn't smack the lady.

-Gary

What the!!! I would have lost my temper if I'd caught her doing this :x

What the!!! I would have lost my temper if I'd caught her doing this :x

I probably would have too, but instead of lashing out I would have just been a punk and had my daughter do things to disrupt the person with the camera, things like tapping her on the shoulder to get her to turn around, telling her that her shoes were untied (even if they weren't) just to get her to look down, poke her in the side to make her squirm or jump. Yeah, my daughter would be a bit annoyed and I would have to apologize to her for it but it would be totally worth it just to annoy the **** out of the person using her head for a camera rest.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back