Victorian/steampunk Tesla pistol

Amazing work - you really did IMPROVE the design! And I second nomuse's compliment on your engraving. You make it sound easy, but I respect the level of skill that you have inspired us with.

What was your mechanism for the switch? I was guessing you embedded a pushbutton switch into the brass T and put a brass cap on it.

Excellent! I love your Victorian flourishes and blowtorch distressing. Beautiful piece, and it functions!

-MJ

Last edited:
Thank you , everyone.

What was your mechanism for the switch? I was guessing you embedded a pushbutton switch into the brass T and put a brass cap on it.

Yep. That's exactly right. I very carefully drilled a 1/16" hole into the end of the push-button momentary switch. I mounted the switch into the brass T that's on the side of the handle, and then epoxied a brass push-pin into the hole I'd drilled.

UPDATE!

I got to meet Eddie McClintock and Saul Rubineck at Denver Comic Con last weekend. No photos, unfortunately. I'd already paid for autographs from each of them, I wasn't really feeling like paying for photos also.

Anyway, I showed each of them my Tesla pistol, and each of them held it. They both had very nice things to say about the craftsmanship. I asked Eddie if it was about the same size as the props on the show - because that part was always a bit of a guess for me, and I thought mine might have been a little small. He said that mine is very close to the size of the actual props, and if anything, mine might be a little long. He also said that they often use hollow plastic ones if they're in a scene where it needs to be dropped or thrown. They only get to use the nice "hero" grade ones for the closeup shots.

Saul commented on my holster for it, and I said that I'd just had to make something up because they're never shown on the show - the Artie carries his in his bag, and Pete and Myka just whip theirs out from under their coat. He kinda rolled his eyes and said yeah, they kinda brush over that. He even said "I could autograph your Tesla, but it's so nicely made and it seems so pristine, I'm not sure that I want to."

I got both of them to autograph a WH13 graphic that I'd drawn. Both Eddie and Saul were super cool. Since I was there pretty early in the morning, I got a couple of extra minutes to talk to them because there wasn't really a line yet.

ETA:

That afternoon, I ran into a friend of mine who had gotten autographs an hour or two after I did. Apparently, the Con employees who were at the desks with Saul and Eddie were still talking about my Tesla when my friend and her daughter got there. My friend was like "Oh, yeah, I know that guy!"

Unrelated, but very cute - my friend's daughter was dressed like Claudia. Dyed her hair red, punky clothes and black nails. I didn't see any other WH13 costumers even though the Eddie/Saul panel discussion was totally packed.

Last edited:
First - thank you very much for your compliments!

I've had a couple of inquiries in PMs, so I thought I'd post this here.

No, the steampunk Tesla is not for sale.

and

No, I'm not taking any commissions to make another one.

I really only have time to make props for my own use. It's just a hobby for me. (One of many, I'm afraid.) I also have a full-time job and a family. That doesn't leave me with much/any time for commissioned work. Sorry. The Tesla is probably my best piece so far, and it took about two months of evenings. I'm not even sure what that would total out to in hours. The official licensed Tesla replica from Quantum Mechanix runs about $1500.00. Having now built one from scratch, I can see why they're priced the way they are.

Even if I did have time, some of the parts in this were one-of-a-kind items that would be difficult to replicate.

So again, thank you all for your interest and support. I'm already looking forward to my next couple of projects - neither of which are steampunk, but should be fun and awesome nonetheless.

:)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back