Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Actually, you can simultaneously be the guy that always plays the same character, and the best actor in a film. Neeson, Jackson, Christensen and McGregor were all playing dull-as-ditchwater Jedi Knights. Samuel L. Jackson was the only one that was even slightly credible IMO.

In what way?

Ok. Acting is where you pretend to be someone else.

Samuel Jackson is always the 'guy with attitude'. Always. If you say he's in a movie, you know EXACTLY what you're getting. I can't think of an example where he's different. Having said that, I don't watch many of his movies because he sucks.

Contrast a real actor like, say, Bryan Cranston or Gary Oldman and you'll see what I mean.

The oldman combination is a killer :cool (i will not use the new lol!)

I know oldman is amazing and everytime i see him i'm still impressed. It's as if he's at a whole other level than anyone he's paired with.

SLJ, he has different shades of SLJ, but you're right. You say he's in a movie and you know exactly what the character will be. Oldman, you never know what you'll get other than a great performance.

For the PT, SLJ was in mid level tough guy mode. His range is upper to lower level tough guy and that's about it.

Sam Jackson only knows how to be Sam Jackson, as has been said. He does that very well and it has worked well for a number of characters. He was horrible as Mace Windu because he couldn't be, and shouldn't have been, Sam Jackson. But, he doesn't know how to play other personae, so he delivered a very stiff, wooden, one-dimensional and disposable character. It just sucked and he never should have been cast in the role, or given the requested pimped out "purple" lightsaber. ******. Why not give him a a fro and just call him Master Shaft?

Had these films been made seriously and the character had to be a black man, Morgan Freeman would've been much better suited. He carries a believeable wisdom, dignity and a strength in his gaze that can convey power and intimidate without going over the top. In short, he could absolutley be a "master" and would fit well into the tapestry without distracting the viewer or taking them out of the illusion as Jackson did. He's a star but he's not an over the top personality.

Jimmy Smits was also wrong for Organa. Most of the cast were wrong for their parts. There was just no chemisty or believability to any of them, save Ewan in certain moments.

Most of the cast were wrong for their parts. There was just no chemisty or believability to any of them, save Ewan in certain moments.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup save Ian Mcdiarmid and his wry smirk... had to have him back as Palpatine for sure. Otherwise yes... recast the entire lot except Ian and Ewan

I'm gonna say Roscoe Lee Browne. Anyone old enough to remember him? He would have been perfect for the role of Mace Windu if, again, the character had to be "black"...

?

Had these films been made seriously and the character had to be a black man, Morgan Freeman would've been much better suited.

Why not give him a a fro and just call him Master Shaft?

I'd wait in line for that movie... :lol

He would have been perfect for the role of Mace Windu if, again, the character had to be "black"...

There are plenty of "no-name" black actors out there who I'm sure would have done great in the role. I like that there was an effort at diversity there. :thumbsup

There are plenty of "no-name" black actors out there who I'm sure would have done great in the role. I like that there was an effort at diversity there. :thumbsup

I wouldn't at all say that Roscoe Lee Browne was a "no-name" black actor...

Oh my god! Is he still alive?!

No, he passed in 2007. I can remember him from the 1970s and thought
until recently that he was British...

I'm gonna say Roscoe Lee Browne. Anyone old enough to remember him? He would have been perfect for the role of Mace Windu if, again, the character had to be "black"...
If they had cast Roscoe Lee Browne instead of Samuel L. Jackson, Mace Windu would have been a very different character, probably more like "Ben" Kenobi in Star Wars--older, perhaps not as nimble as the younger Jedi, but always speaking with the voice of experience and wisdom. Seeing as how they already had Yoda for that role, Browne would never have been cast even if he'd been considered.

Getting back to Samuel L. Jackson for a moment, he can act but he's usually cast because he's Samuel L. Jackson. He's created an on-screen persona that works for him, much like actors such as Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger did. They all got/get hired (for the most part) because directors know what they'll bring to the production, and audiences know what they'll be getting when they walk into the theater to see their movies. The real problem with casting Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu was that he couldn't be the Samuel L. Jackson we all expect to see on screen because the Star Wars movies have to be family friendly, so what we got was a watered-down, reined-in, neutered version of the Samuel L. Jackson we all expect to see on screen.

But still not the Mace Windu we really should have seen...
Well, we don't really know that, do we? The performance Jackson gave might have been exactly what Lucas wanted. Realistically, the same could be said of every performance in the PT movies. The actors take a lot of heat, but ultimately the movies were George's "babies" and therefore his responsibility for how they turned out.

Still cant believe they killed the clone wars and detours just because there making a movie =/ stupid as hell..

Still cant believe they killed the clone wars and detours just because there making a movie =/ stupid as hell..

I think for the films to be taken seriously or put in a serious and "realistic" point of view, it was felt now was not the time to "make fun of Star Wars" so they nixed the comedy self depreciating type show. They didn't actually kill Detours... just postponed it.."Lucasfilm has reconsidered whether launching an animated comedy prior to the launch of Episode VII makes sense. As a result, we've decided to postpone the release of Detours until a later date."

As for Clone Wars, 5 seasons (with a sixth somewhat in the can for some kind of release) is really great for any show. Most popular TV series only last that long anyway. All Star Treks were 7 seasons except the original and even Enterprise lasted one year longer than the original. Battle Star Galactica was only 4 seasons but spread out for much longer because of SyFy's scheduling. Any comedy on major networks like Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, etc usually last 5 to 10 seasons at the most.

Point is, as much a fan of Clone Wars as I am remember, Lucasfilm did say they "decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming." and are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming.

so while I am also disappointed that Clone Wars is wrapping up its apparent there will be much more cool stuff coming and not just the movies!

The Clone Wars was really good, but I'd be happy to say goodbye to it anyday for the chance of more cinematic Star Wars...

Just a quick detour back to the subject of one's acting chops.

The fact that Sam Jackson DOES play the same role over and over doesn't mean that that's all he CAN play. Hollywood loves to pigeonhole.

Look at guys like Pacino and DeNiro. You cold argue that they now pretty much keep playing the same roles or same types of roles over and over and over again. I mean, how long has Pacino been doing his shouty "HOOAH!" schtick now? But if you look at their body of work, they can CLEARLY act. They have real range. They just don't use it because they have bills to pay and Hollywood is only offering them certain parts.

This is, from what I can tell, actually one of the dangers of becoming an "A-lister." The problem with that is that everyone only wants you to do the same A-list role you just did. That and given your stature in the public eye just as a celebrity, it becomes much much harder for you to appear as someone other than what the public already knows.

I mean, take Harrison Ford. He's been playing similar roles for decades now and he plays them largely the same way. He's such a big name star that you don't see the character -- you see "and Harrison Ford as..." This is why, even though the movie itself is pretty forgettable, I LOVE his performance in What Lies Beneath. He plays SO against type and I just love the hell out of it. To me, films like that -- and a lot of A-listers have at least a smattering of those under their belt -- prove that most well-known actors, given the right material and the opportunity to do it, can stretch themselves MUCH farther than we give them credit for. It's just that they don't often get the chance to prove it.

According to this website, the three originals are officially returning and that shooting starts with a battle scene this summer. Not sure how credible this site is, but thought I'd share.

Casting for The Walt Disney Studios feature film 'Star Wars: Episode VII' | Disney Film Casting

I think it's funny how we're in the Episode VII thread and posts like these are completely ignored in favor of how good/bad Sam Jackson was in the prequels. :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back