Buckaroo Banzai II...... Bring back the fun.

Mr Webber

Master Member
Theres been some incredible cinema produced in recent years, the Nolan trilogy and Looper being stand outs for mine but amongst all the greatness there`s been very little fun.

Banzai was one of those rare unpolished diamonds that took from all the elements of sci fi that keep us interested and still managed to keep its tounge firmly in its cheek. It was also way ahead of its time, pardon the pun, Inter-dimensional travel etc seems to be regarded as a standard practise now among sci fi writers and audiences, especially on the small screen.

With the big players all searching for that eighties gold again, it would be foolish to walk past this nugget. Im thinking they would re-tell the original story to introduce the Doc and his crew to the i generation and have Crime League ready as a follow up. A new Banzai would certainly look drool worthy but can contemporary filmaking capture the same fun and spirit of the original? worth the price of a ticket to find out. Thought long and hard about the lead and for mine there is only one choice........ J Depp.

I wouldn't want to see it remade, and honestly, I really wouldn't want to see Depp as Banzai. (Especially since he'd probably bring Tim Burton along to direct, with Helena Bonham Carter as Penny.)

Nnnnoooooooooooooo, if anything, I'd want a sequel, with Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, and everyone else reprising their roles.

Im all for a follow on with the same cast, just dont think it would be made. Still think Depp is a major talent despite his guilt by association.

Can only hope that a few people find the concept worthy of contributing at least something relevant and interesting to the topic.

They were set to make another film,so just pick it up from there but with a new cast.

Think I'd like to see Josh Brolin as Buckaroo myself.

It could work,Buckaroo Banzai is one of those 80's cyberpunk characters that needs to come back :thumbsup

Josh Brolin is an interesting choice, he was in the only decent remake I can remember for a long time, True Grit which is a plus, I just dont see him bringing the fun part. I do like Nathan Fillians work but he may be a bit tall:lol

You nailed it with "in the right hands" Noeland and another key is what direction those hands want to take it, fun or franchise.

It will start with a reunion........fingers crossed.

For Perfect Tommy in a remake, they should get Jeffrey Donovan. But as far as I'm concern, I'm happy with there being one film but wouldn't mind a Part 2.

For Perfect Tommy in a remake, they should get Jeffrey Donovan. But as far as I'm concern, I'm happy with there being one film but wouldn't mind a Part 2.

I disagree, good sir! If we're talking a remake, I thing James Franco would be the PERFECT Perfect Tommy. I mean, c'mon, they even look alike! Am I right?!

Lewis-Smith-Buckaroo3.jpg

tumblr_lyzo00dYPO1qcfgaa.jpg

By the way, Mr Webber, I wasn't shooting down you idea of a remake/reboot as "god that's a HORRIBLE idea!", I just really don't want to see such a favorite of mine turned into another ****ty cash-in. If the right people/actors/actresses got behind it, I'd be all for it.

Hope this links works. Just something I tossed together awhile back.

newbbpostera.jpg

As much as I enjoy Fillion's work, I really wouldn't want him as Buckaroo. That was mainly vote-pandering. (Tho I could see him giving a different spin to Rawhide.) The rest I'd be happy with.

The only way I'd really get behind a BB reboot/remake is if W.D.Richter and Earl Mac Rauch maintained creative control.

Last edited:
By the way, Mr Webber, I wasn't shooting down you idea of a remake/reboot as "god that's a HORRIBLE idea!", I just really don't want to see such a favorite of mine turned into another ****ty cash-in. If the right people/actors/actresses got behind it, I'd be all for it.

No problem here aeon, I couldnt agree with you more but we have to balance our appreciation for the originals against what something new may bring and at the end of the day, we will always have the originals (no Star Wars refs pls).

Im leaning towards a remake of the original as an introduction, I love the story and drool at the prospect of it in a contemporary setting, the wardrobe would be killer and if they stayed with the concept of the Jet Car, awesome.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back