JFcustom's FOAM files

I thought that if the cod piece was large enough the thigh pieces would taper and fit inside and allow you to bend, kinda like a 4" G.I.Joe figure. Maybe I'm wrong. It appears even the movie iron man had a slight bit of undersuit showing.

View attachment 375643

I think in theory it should work that way, but it seems like it's trickier to pull off in real life. Maybe not impossible though. It probably also depends on your body type... if you're on the lean side you may have that space in the cod to work with.

In my foam build I plan on faking the top two front thigh plates by building them into my undersuit with fabric and thin foam so they actually taper in like you describe.

I thought that if the cod piece was large enough the thigh pieces would taper and fit inside and allow you to bend, kinda like a 4" G.I.Joe figure. Maybe I'm wrong. It appears even the movie iron man had a slight bit of undersuit showing.

View attachment 375643

They do try to get a seamless looking fit, but even on the screen-used suits the under-sections end up exposed. A matching color undersuit helps a ton to hide the area, otherwise DRG is completely right that your mobility will go out the window. You can use a color-matched undersuit and/or filler panels to hide this area better; check these threads:

Gap filling discussion
http://www.therpf.com/f78/iron-man-butt-gaps-158097/

Roy explains his fix in this thread:
http://www.therpf.com/f78/our-iron-...t-13-a-147069/?highlight=our+iron+man+mark+iv

Thanks for those links. I guess I'll have to come up with some type of filler or else bite the bullet and use something for an undersuit on the legs as well.

I'm having issues with the Helmet. I'm on my 4th one now.. The first was a straight up Pepakura using card stock and the original Sharkhead file and it was a tad small and had a crazy number of fine details. I then started using JFC's unfold and made two in cardboard. I'm working on my 3rd cardboard one now. The major reason I'm on my third is refining the scale, but I keep running into issues with a certain line in the unfold...

helmet02_zpsca749098.jpg

That crease right there never seems to be in the right spot when I'm assembling the helmet. I always end up scoring a new mark before that point. I think I might be making a mistake with the side panels, but I'm not sure.

The 3D view from behind shows a fairly flat side profile:

helmet01_zps51c291a6.jpg

But when you look at the 3d view from an angle it shows a more convex shape:

helmet01b_zpsc9397ddc.jpg

I am wondering if someone can help me with this issue, possibly with some pictures of your own build. I think maybe I need to start putting more of a curve in the side panels instead of leaving them flat, but I can't be sure.

Is there a best order to assemble in? I tend to start with the top, add the side panels and then work my way down the back, but maybe I should start with the back first? Any input would be appreciated.

hello there... maybe someone can finally help me with something?
I am trying to make this armor (armor only)... maybe someone could help me? I am gonna do it with EVA foam (foamy) and I need help as it's the first ever I will be making... please help me T_T help is GREATLY appreacited... any help at all I just need to make it to pepakura so I can work it out T_T
archetypesaber01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for those links. I guess I'll have to come up with some type of filler or else bite the bullet and use something for an undersuit on the legs as well.

I'm having issues with the Helmet. I'm on my 4th one now.. The first was a straight up Pepakura using card stock and the original Sharkhead file and it was a tad small and had a crazy number of fine details. I then started using JFC's unfold and made two in cardboard. I'm working on my 3rd cardboard one now. The major reason I'm on my third is refining the scale, but I keep running into issues with a certain line in the unfold...

View attachment 377059

That crease right there never seems to be in the right spot when I'm assembling the helmet. I always end up scoring a new mark before that point. I think I might be making a mistake with the side panels, but I'm not sure.

The 3D view from behind shows a fairly flat side profile:

View attachment 377061

But when you look at the 3d view from an angle it shows a more convex shape:

View attachment 377062

I am wondering if someone can help me with this issue, possibly with some pictures of your own build. I think maybe I need to start putting more of a curve in the side panels instead of leaving them flat, but I can't be sure.

Is there a best order to assemble in? I tend to start with the top, add the side panels and then work my way down the back, but maybe I should start with the back first? Any input would be appreciated.

Instead of trying to figure out the model, try to look at the reference pictures from where the helmet came from. Look at the movie posters, replicas, etc. You want to match what Iron Man you are working on.

For the program, look under 3D Menu - View Setup - Viewing Angle. When you increase that slider bar it will flatten the image. Unless you have messed with it already, it comes off as almost a fish eye lens when looking at the model.

Instead of trying to figure out the model, try to look at the reference pictures from where the helmet came from. Look at the movie posters, replicas, etc. You want to match what Iron Man you are working on.

That's why I was hoping someone else would chime in or show a picture. I can't really go off of movie references because it doesn't matter what the movie helmet looks like, the pepakura files are only as good as the 3d model used to unfold.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think JFC changes the threshold settings to lower the amount of detail to make the assembly quicker. I think that's why the original Sharkhead unfold has the line going from the side of the helmet around the back, but JFC's files don't. You don't really need them in the file because it's very easy to either layer or etch foam to bring the line back.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think JFC changes the threshold settings to lower the amount of detail to make the assembly quicker. I think that's why the original Sharkhead unfold has the line going from the side of the helmet around the back, but JFC's files don't. You don't really need them in the file because it's very easy to either layer or etch foam to bring the line back.

JF Custom does modfiy files significantly to make them buildable in foam, but most foam unfolds are going to do that anyways. As for lowering the amount of detail, a lot of good information can be taken from his tips in the first post.
For instance, the 'tiers' wrapping around the back of iron man helmets are often only sitting a few millimeters above or below the adjacent piece:

iron_man_helmet_pepakura_4_by_slythenperior-d482zai.jpg

If you're working in paper, you have to cut out and install those thin (say 4mm) pieces to attach the tiers together. One of the major purposes of a foam unfold is eliminating those pieces; if two tiers are only 3mm different and you are using 6mm foam, you can just butt the pieces together offset that 3mm and glue them. If you've got a step of say 6 or 8mm, you can then just glue the upper layer to the top of the lower layer, making the step as thick as your foam is. (You would leave the lower piece long when cutting out, so the upper piece has a place to glue to).
JF custom also does remove detailing sometimes, but it very rarely is something that can't be added for accuracy later.

it's like my years of middle and highschool with girls... ignored -_- XD

You're not being ignored. You posted a picture of (to me) an obscure character, said you wanted to make it in foam, and asked for help to build the armor. You've got to be WAY more specific.
1) First, who is that, and what are they from? It's possible I could have peps, but I wouldn't even know where to begin looking because I don't know who they are from.
2) Do you already have any Pepakura files (or even a 3d model) of this armor and need help with it, or do you only have reference pictures? If there are no peps or 3d models, you would have to either model it yourself or commission someone to 3d model the armor for you first. Then those models could be turned into Pepakura files.

it's like my years of middle and highschool with girls... ignored -_- XD

You're not being ignored. You posted a picture of (to me) an obscure character, said you wanted to make it in foam, and asked for help to build the armor. You've got to be WAY more specific.
1) First, who is that, and what are they from? It's possible I could have peps, but I wouldn't even know where to begin looking because I don't know who they are from.
2) Do you already have any Pepakura files (or even a 3d model) of this armor and need help with it, or do you only have reference pictures? If there are no peps or 3d models, you would have to either model it yourself or commission someone to 3d model the armor for you first. Then those models could be turned into Pepakura files.

The character is Saber from Fate/Prototype. There are no 3D models that I know of. Reference photos for that particular character are very few and far between. 99% of references out there are of the female version and all her various forms. What you saw is pretty much what you get unless you can get screen caps from the single anime episode or somehow get a rip from the visual novel. In the thread (http://www.therpf.com/f24/little-help-armor-i-am-trying-make-first-time-224455/) that he started I gave him what advice I could give and he has chosen to not even make an attempt to try and freehand templates for something that I think would be of easy to moderate skill level to do. Personally, I think the soft parts of the costume would be the most difficult to do.

Hey all,

I've been lurking around for a while but I finally decided that my question is worth asking. I need to ask if anyone would be willing to unfold and modify a foam pattern for me. Specifically it is the nightingale armor from skyrim, the male version. I already have the file ripped from the game. I just need someone with the ability to do what needs to be done. I hope someone would be willing to take on the project. Its a beautiful set of armor and I would really appreciate any and all help provided. PM me if interested.

Hey all,

I've been lurking around for a while but I finally decided that my question is worth asking. I need to ask if anyone would be willing to unfold and modify a foam pattern for me. Specifically it is the nightingale armor from skyrim, the male version. I already have the file ripped from the game. I just need someone with the ability to do what needs to be done. I hope someone would be willing to take on the project. Its a beautiful set of armor and I would really appreciate any and all help provided. PM me if interested.
Have you checked the skyrim thread on the 405th forum? They have hundreds of skyrim files

Have you checked the skyrim thread on the 405th forum? They have hundreds of skyrim files

Yeah, I know the guy that you are talking about. Zombiegrimm is his name and he is absolutely amazing. However, that being said, he only does hard armors and has said he will not do the soft armors such as fabric and "leathers". The Nightingale falls in that category sadly. He has done the weapons but he won't do the armor.

Yeah, I know the guy that you are talking about. Zombiegrimm is his name and he is absolutely amazing. However, that being said, he only does hard armors and has said he will not do the soft armors such as fabric and "leathers". The Nightingale falls in that category sadly. He has done the weapons but he won't do the armor.

Throw a link up to the 3d model, someone may well step up and proceed with it. I've seen a lot of interest in the Nightingale armour, but most of it has been with the soft material groups as you mentioned. Heck, I'll even take a look at it to see how feasible it is.

Throw a link up to the 3d model, someone may well step up and proceed with it. I've seen a lot of interest in the Nightingale armour, but most of it has been with the soft material groups as you mentioned. Heck, I'll even take a look at it to see how feasible it is.

Fingers crossed. https://mega.co.nz/#!uk0zCCQT!tvzNdZRmP7NrfuVfRyQbVFZ1kKj_hKy3wvTrfFrwzqA

This is the first time working on mega so I am still trying to figure it out. Let me know it doesn't work.

Last edited:

mk6 test fit. still a lot of painting detail, weathering and electronics to go. i look like a tank! lol. my friends have been calling it the heavy duty mk6, the irongorilla and linebacker ironman lol. ive learned so much on this thread. jfcustoms your unfolds rock bro!

Hello. I'm a big fan of your work. I was wanting to download your Nightingale armor and build one for my girlfriends daughter, however the download link does not work. Is there anyway you could fix that or repost the files? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Hello. I'm a big fan of your work. I was wanting to download your Nightingale armor and build one for my girlfriends daughter, however the download link does not work. Is there anyway you could fix that or repost the files? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Try a different browser or check your firewall settings. I just downloaded it from the link posted on the first page.

Right click the link and save it to your computer before opening it through Pepakura. If you click the link and just open it in another window, it'll just appear to be garbled script.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back