1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Sofaking,
I liked your door padding solution. I always imagined vinyl wrapped around padding. Can you give us a little information on your weathering process? I am thinking of doing a half corridor ring as a "charging station" display for all the DL-44's I have/will build and have been thinking on the padding in particular. Of course, I may just need to wait and see what you folks do in the future of this project for my answer. I love your work to date. Don't forget to eat and shower. ;)

Everytime I see updates regarding this project, it makes me want to build something Star Wars related. Love seeing all the care and attention you've all taken when it comes to the specific details, definitely one of my favourite topics to watch progress.

Hey V,

Thanks so much! I say go for it! Even if the project is something small, get started and have fun! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing that cockpit all lit up is amazing. Great job to all involved.

Hi A,

We're excited about it as well! Thanks so much!

Sofaking,
I liked your door padding solution. I always imagined vinyl wrapped around padding. Can you give us a little information on your weathering process? I am thinking of doing a half corridor ring as a "charging station" display for all the DL-44's I have/will build and have been thinking on the padding in particular. Of course, I may just need to wait and see what you folks do in the future of this project for my answer. I love your work to date. Don't forget to eat and shower. ;)

Hi H,

We went round and round re: the padding. We looked at closed cell foam, expandable foam, fiberglass, foam board, etc etc... We finally decided on the 2" thick home insulation foam and doubled up to get the desired depth. We sealed it using craft style Spackle. That was sanded down to a semi smooth finish. It was then covered with Modge Podge (glue, sealer) and covered with simple blue shop towels for texture with another layer of MP to keep in place.

The weathering was done by Katie (she dressed as Rey in my earlier post). Everybody takes a different approach to weathering. I'll see if I can get her to explain her process.

In my experience you always start with the darker colors (browns, blacks, etc) first. The dark colors fill in all the deep recessed areas giving the appearance of holes, dirt, etc. Once dry, you begin to build up the lighter colors using the dry brush method. Load the brush up with color then wipe off as much paint as you can leaving just enough color on the brush and lightly "sweep" across the surface so the high points and edges of the surface are painted. It's a long process but worth the time and effort.

I hope this made sense?

Here is quick tutorial of dry brushing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1posZyE74

Last edited:
Dude.... you know I love this thing... but after seeing Ep7 you know you gotta make those square panels on the ceiling able to drop down with a hinge and support now right? :) Yeah I know... I'm evil... get over it! :)

Dude.... you know I love this thing... but after seeing Ep7 you know you gotta make those square panels on the ceiling able to drop down with a hinge and support now right? :) Yeah I know... I'm evil... get over it! :)

Yeah... I saw that too. I was already thinking it. UGH ;)

Yeah... I saw that too. I was already thinking it. UGH ;)

Just when you thought you had a grip on things, they come out with something new that makes you have to add even more to it! I know the feeling... I think I'm sticking with my ESB version to be honest... no matter how cool the new bunk area in the lounge looks! :)

I meant Sofa could use CGI instead of rebuilding their Falcon's cockpit, LOL!!!!

Wouldn't that be nice and easy! ;)

I've been making notes of all the updates/changes we'll be making to include adding a few greeblies to the back wall. Of course as I mentioned, I'll be redesigning the Volvo panels - this will be the 7th time (I believe) these panels will have been redone. They are probably the most difficult of the panels to get absolutely 100% correct.

The back wall will be fun!

Wouldn't that be nice and easy! ;)

I've been making notes of all the updates/changes we'll be making to include adding a few greeblies to the back wall. Of course as I mentioned, I'll be redesigning the Volvo panels - this will be the 7th time (I believe) these panels will have been redone. They are probably the most difficult of the panels to get absolutely 100% correct.

The back wall will be fun!

You know you love the challenge!

Hi Gang,

Remember when Greg Grunberg was kind enough to sign the console during last years Geek Media Expo in Tennessee?

20141025_150305_zps396ddeae.jpg

He wouldn't tell us what the S.W. meant... and that we'd have to wait until EP VII was released to find out.
20141025_152136_zps33f0a831.jpg

The S.W. stands for Snap Wexley! :)

Upgrades to the Cockpit are amazing. Keep up the great work on a true Fan Made work-of-art! I imagine you guys in my mind's eye as Solo & Chewbacca working on the modifications to the Falcon to make her "the fastest hunk of junk" in the galaxy. Very inspiring.
-E

Upgrades to the Cockpit are amazing. Keep up the great work on a true Fan Made work-of-art! I imagine you guys in my mind's eye as Solo & Chewbacca working on the modifications to the Falcon to make her "the fastest hunk of junk" in the galaxy. Very inspiring.
-E

Thank you for the kind words. :)

We're all taking a much needed break. But we'll be back at it very soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back