1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

I'm still waiting for paint to dry but a minor update on the front panel.
IMAG1064.jpg

Also, it looks like the application "Sketchup" is giving me false dimensions - or I can't read... Simply put, the dimensions I read DIDN'T transfer over to what I measured and cut.

So... what I might do is just trash the panel itself, mount everything directly to the console and just stripe it accordingly...

Again... I'm still trying to figure out what exactly happened...

Last edited:

SketchUp is officially hosed... measurements were ALL over the board. Things that were supposed to be 10 inches are showing 4 inches... so. I will have to uninstall and reinstall. GREAT! It's not a total loss...

Started mounting screws for the knobs to attach
IMAG1069.jpg

This is how it will look minus the panel. The pin stripes will "help" give the appearance of a panel.
IMAG1068.jpg

IMAG1067.jpg

Another frustrating day...

Last edited:

frustrating or not its looking great, I have never seen a replica one before so you seem to be setting the bar pretty high

I'm really lovin' th' front panel, it's unfortunate that ya ran into Murphy via sketchup. Keep up th' good work bra.:cool:cry:cool

frustrating or not its looking great, I have never seen a replica one before so you seem to be setting the bar pretty high

Hi W,

Thanks for the kind words. I should have guessed it was never going to be smooth sailing. There will always be bumps in the road... Dont worry... she'll hold together...

I'm really lovin' th' front panel, it's unfortunate that ya ran into Murphy via sketchup. Keep up th' good work bra.:cool:cry:cool

Yeah... Murphy and I are going to have a long talk this weekend.

Good news... I reinstalled SketchUp this morning before work and that seems (for now) to have fixed whatever was going on. Hoping for a short day so I can get back to work on console.

Still wowing over this work. Looks amazing can't wait to see the finished product.

Hi S,

Thanks for the positive adjectives! Baring anymore setbacks, I'm hoping for a good weekend. I'm still in a holding pattern but there are several side projects I can get done - the back boxes will be finished this weekend!

Last edited:

Hey Gang,

OK... I need some help with a few items. I really need to identify ALL the parts (or something similar) used to create the yokes (steering wheel). I've been looking and looking and other than PVC pipe, and the Vickers yoke, I can't tell what I'm looking at or what was used - the actual handles are a COMPLETE mystery. They appear to be aluminum T-Handles or something similar.

There also appears to be 2 levers on the center console as well - with another T-Handle?

falconcockpitesb4ne.jpg

You'll notice that during production, it was decided to mount the yokes to the console instead of the floor.

swempire_1975.jpg

I'll post a better pic when I get home - sorry

Also... Toggle Switches. The center console (armrest) has approx 40 toggle switches - the cockpit itself has well over 300 (we'll burn that bridge when we get to it). They appear to be paddle style switches with at least 1/2 inch "paddle" (not sure how to explain it). These style switches are anywhere from 3-8 dollars a piece. UGH...

Does anybody know where they can find at least 40 identical / used paddle switches? They dont even have to work. I've searched Ebay with no luck so I'm turning to the next best resource - you all! :)

Thanks to everybody who has in anyway contributed (and continue) to the build. And I appreciate all the kinds words of encouragement. :)

Stay Tuned

Last edited:

I think you guys will like this next update...

IMAG1058.jpg

IMAG1059.jpg

This next image will DEFINATELY play tricks on your eyes... the lines look crooked
IMAG1060.jpg

Time to start frosting / painting more mosaic tiles! I am really happy with the way this turning out. :) I didnt think I had it in me... huh... who knew????
IMAG1061.jpg

Stay Tuned!

This looks effing brilliant, man! I can't wait for more details.

heh, sorry I can't offer much at the moment besides basic encouragement, but you're knocking it out of the park, so what else can I say?

so, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

This looks effing brilliant, man! I can't wait for more details.

heh, sorry I can't offer much at the moment besides basic encouragement, but you're knocking it out of the park, so what else can I say?

so, keep up the good work!

Hey S,

Words of encouragement are enough to keep me moving forward. :) Again... this NEVER would have been possible without your efforts.

Depending on what I find out this afternoon - I might make this console a PURE static version only. Any lighting I do will be simple christmas tree lights... So... Yes... There will be 2 consoles...

Stay Tuned

Does anybody know where they can find at least 40 identical / used paddle switches? They dont even have to work. I've searched Ebay with no luck so I'm turning to the next best resource - you all! :)

I don't know specifically where to look, but I know there are aircraft surplus yards out there that has all kinds of switches, panels, yokes, available. You might get lucky and find one that has what you're looking for. Keep up the hard work-- this is a very ambitious project and I've never seen one like it before!!! Looking great!!!!! :thumbsup

SFK-

I've been catching up on your thread for the last week or so. Absolutely brilliant. I did a quick google on surplus used switches and found a URL that might be promising: 15-1200 Amp. Siemens, V7E-V7H-V7F-VB-HCP-VMS PANEL BOARD SWITCHES SWITCHES

Another way to go, how about casting and molding the switches? You could either cast them individually or create a bank of switches then cast that -there'd be a lot more painting and detailing, but you could probably create all your switches for about $90 in silicone and another $90 in resin.

The "T-handles" on the armrest remind me of ball lock pins. Or maybe some type of crank handle???

Do you have any pictures of the original (pre-modded) control yokes? I can't find a thing.

Oh, my: Aviation Warehouse - Aviation Related Props - Adelanto, California

Too bad you're all the way out there in Alabammy. I think you're just going to have to really commit to this project and fly to England to scour their aircraft salvage yards. :)

The "T-handles" on the armrest remind me of ball lock pins. Or maybe some type of crank handle???

Do you have any pictures of the original (pre-modded) control yokes? I can't find a thing.

Oh, my: Aviation Warehouse - Aviation Related Props - Adelanto, California

Too bad you're all the way out there in Alabammy. I think you're just going to have to really commit to this project and fly to England to scour their aircraft salvage yards. :)

Hey MFP,

Below is a pic of the original Vickers yoke used in the MF. You're looking at the rear view of the yoke:
ControlYoke.jpg

I've been in contact with several of the Vicker's Clubs and they've been a HUGE help trying to identify parts... So my trip has been postponed so far...

SFK-

I've been catching up on your thread for the last week or so. Absolutely brilliant. I did a quick google on surplus used switches and found a URL that might be promising: 15-1200 Amp. Siemens, V7E-V7H-V7F-VB-HCP-VMS PANEL BOARD SWITCHES SWITCHES

Another way to go, how about casting and molding the switches? You could either cast them individually or create a bank of switches then cast that -there'd be a lot more painting and detailing, but you could probably create all your switches for about $90 in silicone and another $90 in resin.

Hi K,

Thanks for the link. I dropped them an email. I hope to hear back from them soon.

I've been tinkering with the idea that I might have to jump into doing the resin / silicone. I was hoping to avoid that and try to find real parts...

Hi Gang,

Here's a better pic of the flight control / yoke I mentioned... I'll let the image speak for itself... I hope we can identify some of these parts

Falcon20Cockpit.jpg

Hope they're able to help you.

I can understand wanting the real parts. Should all real parts get too costly you could go with a hybrid approach -real (and maybe semi-functional for lights) switches in key areas, and castings for less accessible locations.

Keep posting, this is one of my favorite builds/threads.

Minor Updates

New greeblies arrived
IMAG1072.jpg

Painted More Mosaic Tiles
IMAG1073.jpg

Painted edge around instrument panel
IMAG1074.jpg

More to come!

Hope they're able to help you.

I can understand wanting the real parts. Should all real parts get too costly you could go with a hybrid approach -real (and maybe semi-functional for lights) switches in key areas, and castings for less accessible locations.

Keep posting, this is one of my favorite builds/threads.

Thanks for the kind words. :) I have faith I'll be able track down what I need. The nice thing is that I'm in no hurry at all.

I've been chatting with a local woodworking shop and I might, depending on price, rebuild the console in MDF with all the correct angles and measurements.

I'll finish this console but it will be a static display only - nothing fancy at all but maybe some flashing Christmas lights. As you know, I'm NOT happy with the way the formica turned out. MDF is wonderful to work with and paint adhere's without issue.

Stay Tuned! Lots to happen in the next coming weeks/months!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back