1. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 9, 2012, 2:58 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #101

And the last of those...

From
    Planet Perth
    Jun 9, 2012, 5:29 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #102

Ok so they look pretty ****ing cool but WTF ya doin posting at 4am Huh????
  3. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 9, 2012, 9:55 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #103

My wild Saturday nights aren't quite as wild as they used to be.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jun 10, 2012, 10:35 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #104

Bloody marvellous work all round. Never thought I'd see a decent replica of this ship let alone the work of art which is taking shape here.

Clactonite
  5. Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Jun 10, 2012, 11:00 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #105

Just stumbled onto this thread. I have nothing to ad that hasnt already been said.

:-O
  6. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 10, 2012, 11:12 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #106

Thanks gents, Dave and I do much appreciate the feedback!

I'm still tweaking my tower interior. Having far too much fun with it to stop...need to work up some little dudes in robes, next. I do intend to print this though, so it's not going to be wasted effort.

From
    Planet Perth
    Jun 11, 2012, 5:36 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #107

Could you give maximillian some functioning blade thinghy's while your at it. Oh and some functioning railcar thinghy's for the length of the ship. Ohh nearly forgot..... Make sure you have all the rivets too. And buttons, ooh and some robot guard wotsits. And a firing range with BOB and VINCENT.

Thanks.
  8. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 11, 2012, 6:00 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #108

Bwa ha ha! OK, I'm not going *that* far. I think I can get a little group together to represent the Palomino crew, though, and some 'humanoids', and Dr. Reinhart in his chair. It'll be the moment the Palomino crew exit the elevator, when Kate calls out to the humanoids.

Max is pretty blocky and basic and the others will be simple too, not real likenesses. But I'll be printing this one in Frosted Ultra Detail so might as well take advantage of the finer tolerances of this material -- the main point will be all the spidery interior rigging I haven't added yet.
  9. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 12, 2012, 8:19 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #109

Shapeways just emailed me this pic and a nice letter to say 'sorry, these parts were pushing the process too far' and giving me the option to cancel. Heck, didn't expect them to print *at all*, really - I forgot to sprue them, so I'd more or less written them off.

As failures go these are good ones - I can be completely confident the next versions will work. Will likely go partly to brass rod though.
    From
    Planet Perth
    Jun 12, 2012, 9:18 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #110

I reckon they look pretty cool.
  11. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    From
    Like, Los Angeles, dude...
    Jun 12, 2012, 1:59 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #111

Looking great Martyn!

Okay, not as spectacular as Martyn's work, but here's where I'm at. Next piece to arrive will be a huge blob of all the tanks for the fuel modules (scheduled for delivery tomorrow). In the meantime, we've been trying to sort out all the plumbing. Here's a post of what I've gotten done so far. Feel free to comment!
  12. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    From
    Jun 12, 2012, 6:20 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #112

So I managed to work on the pipes to the power modules. Here are what they look like so far.
  13. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 12, 2012, 8:44 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #113

Spot on, Dave! The purple pipe's join to the sphere is really iffy on the studio models. Seems like a lot of random bending there. Yours is better! Don't forget the two forward pipes have a crossover halfway up the spine. Aside from that we have this nailed down now I think. There *might* be a "forward" pipe on the junction sphere, you can see something in the travel tube scene. Can't decide.
  14. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    From
    Jun 12, 2012, 9:57 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #114

Thanks Martyn -- I'm glad we're closing in on this. I know what you mean about the random bending on the studio model. I keep going back and forth about whether I should try to match every quirk of the studio model or go for a cleaned-up version. As much as I love the organic quality of the original, I think if I try to match the studio model too closely people will just think I did a sloppy job building. So cleaned up is winning cuz it'll probably require less 'splainin. ;-)

Ok, what do you mean about the forward pipes having a crossover? I'm not comprehending. And executive decision -- there is no forward pipe on the junction sphere. [fingers in ears, chanting "LA LA LA LA...]

;-)
  15. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 13, 2012, 3:44 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #115

LOL! It's possibly a phantom. I just can't make my mind up on that one. Iffy evidence.

Yeah, on my original CG builds I did include a lot of stuff I'm sure the modelmakers weren't that happy with. This time around I'm going for "as conceptualised" rather than "as built". I'm synthesising stuff from the drawings, the 2 12 foot models and all three (?) insert models, and I've thrown in one or two artistic license dealies too - things like spots where I suspect there was bracing but the ref is too low-res to make it out.

Given that approach, my pipe bends might as well be tidy and regular. I abhore the 'floating pipes' thing too, so I'm going to add a few unobtrusive braces here and there, as with your braces for the spinal pipes.

Ah, the crossover is just a connecting pipe - transverse, across the top of the spine, half way up to the power centre. Both sets have one, fore and aft of the antenna tower.
  16. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    From
    Jun 13, 2012, 10:01 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #116

Ahhh -- I know what you're talking about now. I thought it might be a mounting bracket.

So do you think the pipes from the front should be the same only rotated 180 degrees, even though they don't have to fit around the travel tube tressle? Or more simplified?

Okay, so for the bow, where do you think the pipes coming out of the top of the spheres go? Straight down into the bow structure? Or bent to go somewhere else? I'm leaning towards the former. When they're there at all -- sometimes they go away. Also, it looks like one of the transverse pipes might connect to one of them. Its really hard to tell. Any insight would be appreciated!
  17. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    From
    west australia
    Jun 19, 2012, 6:59 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #117

hey it's the newbie here,first post.these cygnus models looking great.one of my fav designs.how about the valley forge?maybe not studio scale,ha ha.
  18. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 24, 2012, 9:34 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #118

Hi Rod, welcome aboard the forum! Ta for that. Nah, not a VF fan myself, but someone on the board was tackling segments of it if I recall correctly.

Progress has been slow recently, I'm bogged down in the bridge. Also been sick as a dog for the past week and Dave tells me he's been flat out at work. I did get some new pieces last week and finally roused myself to take pics.

Here is the new dome, with the old one for comparison. Not perfect as I can't get the model to accept the final grid line, but that can go under one of the outer frames. The lines are modeled into the inner surface of the dome as grooves. Just breaks it up a bit.
  19. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 24, 2012, 11:03 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #119

Sod! Forty minutes cleaning up after an incontinent dog, augh.

This is the antenna and base; obviously it was going to be hopeless to try to print the spike itself in WSF but I got carried away. For some reason the very base of the spike didn't print, instead it's like the bpss into which it fits just evaporated. That happens to parts of meshes sometimes, it seems to be at the Shapeways end.

Also the Palomino's landing pad.
  20. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 24, 2012, 11:16 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #120

Oh, and a Palomino to go with that.
  21. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 24, 2012, 11:49 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #121

And the spire. The Palomino is missing parts; there should be a third disc on the nose antenna cluster. Same thing happened here, a ring is missing where the lower array of probes terminate in midair. Got to get to the bottom of that.

Again this was too flexible and the final piece will need to be brass tube with the antenna clusters printed as sleeves; that will allow for fibre optics as a bonus. Another problem is that small round items like the "saucer" antennae tend to elongate during printing. I will have to compensate for that on the mesh files.

Still that's what these protos are for, and it is fun to see how it will look. Incidentally the complete tower is about 14" tall.
  22. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    From
    Maryland
    Jun 24, 2012, 1:56 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #122

Holy smokes! That is VERY cool!! How tall is the finished tower?

**EDIT**
    Never mind on the "how tall" question. If I would have actually READ your post instead of drooling over your pics...HA! Man, when you said it was going to a big model, you weren't kidding!!

The Palomino is also very nice! Is that all one piece?

Also love the painting. How exactly are you painting it..base coat of black first?

Nice work! I'm anxious to see more!
    Dave
    From
    Planet Perth
    Jun 24, 2012, 5:50 PM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #123

Hey Rod, about bloody time eh? Martyn that palomino looks great. Should be a kit on it's own.
  24. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 25, 2012, 9:06 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #124

Thanks guys! Dave, the Palomino is two pieces - upper hull, and lower hull face and engines. The painting is really dodgy - I sprayed these with black ultra-high-temperature engine paint first off (It's meant for my fire engine, lol). That's then daubed with verdigris craft paint, then daubed again with an ammonium chloride solution. It oxidises the copper particles in the craft paint to give instant faux verdigris. Very crudely done but the medium is forgiving.

For the final pieces I'm going to try for more of a patinated bronze base - effectively a dark metallic brown with some brassy highlights - then apply the verdigris effect liberally on top of that. I need to experiment a bit as I'd like to airbrush the craft paint if possible. It is very viscous so that will be a bit of a trick.

Simon, thanks for that! Believe it or not I'm not happy with it; some pieces vanished off the mesh during production and the small probes are too tiny to print well in WSF. It will work fine in Frosted Ultra Detail, but since that can print details half the size of the elements I built the girders from, I'm going to rework it. The girders around the base are hollow but you can barely tell. The next version should have engine girders you can properly see through.
  25. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 25, 2012, 9:15 AM - Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds #125

PS it is a little greener in reality than it appears in these pics.