1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Yes Martyn -- the redos! If only I knew what I was doing, this would have been a lot cheaper! I've stopped thinking of this as a model, and think of it as part of my weekly entertainment budget. I'm entertained for hours designing the parts and it costs me about the same as dinner out and a movie. And maybe popcorn and a beverage. And maybe a drink or two at the pub after...

I don't know about the printer Martyn -- you'd still have to factor in the consumables. And YOU'D have to pick the bits out of it whenever it jammed. ;-)

LOL!

Yeah, SL machines are definitely out on price grounds for now. But the res on some of the ABS extruders isn't bad at all, and some can foam it to boot, to fill voids or as support material. ABS wire reels aren't too pricey. It's the footprint that seems to be the worst problem for now.

For our purposes, how nice would it be if someone comes up with a practical home SLS system? Whoo. But I'm mostly resigned to committing the whole project through Shapeways. It'd be a lot more painful than it is if they weren't mostly rather good on the customer service side.

That said I feel the need to have a discussion with them about pricing. Some real anomalies cropping up - it's not purely volumetric.

It's great what you are doing here.
Never thought we'd see this old space relic modeled as it should be.
What a stunning model this is going to be once finished.

Thanks again everyone! It's great to have other people sharing in the excitement! At this stage, I can really see the Cygnus emerging as each new part arrives...

Metaluna mutant -- yes, I plan to light it. I mean, that's the whole point of this ship, isn't it? :lol

I've been putting it off because electrical wiring is my least favorite part of the build, but I've got LEDs and resistors on order, and I guess I'll have to start soldering when they arrive next week. At least this is as simple as it gets: no flashing, blinking or sequenced lights. Only two switches, one for interior lighting and one for the engines. I originally planned to run fiber optics to light the tips of the main antennas, but I don't know if I'm up to it. Since I've already got the final armature pieces for the center section, I'll start there. Hopefully I'll have a lit center section to show you guys relatively soon...

On another note, I tried to upload some new parts to Shapeways last night, but their website is down. I wonder if Frankenstorm has knocked out their servers? Their U.S. division is in New York...

This is a magnificent work. Like the mothership from Close Encounters, I always doubted that anyone would sincerely attempt to replicate THIS ship. You're on your way...Just beautiful!

Dave, unfortunately yes, the NYC operation is down - I received an email just now. Fortunately not only is their actual infrastructure 'unscathed' but so are all of their people! Will be a few days before things are back to normal.

A small update -- a few more parts have arrived. The stern armature is what I'm most excited about -- the first two pics show the pieces taped together. I was so anxious to see if they worked I taped it up without taking the paper off first. It looks like they all fit perfectly, which is a big relief. The third pic shows the stern parts I have placed to check fit. Again, everything seems to fit where it's supposed to. Finally there's the underside of the center section. Now I just have to get over my dislike of wiring up the LEDs and start working on the lighting for the center and stern sections...

WOW!!!
that is just amazing, I have always wanted to build a model of the Cynus but everytime I start thinking about how to build that superstructure my brain starts trying to have a stroke....
Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing more progress.

Great stuff, Dave. Hope you won't mind if I take inspiration from your interlocking approach!

Thanks everyone! Been receiving more parts, but still putting off plugging in the soldering iron. :-(

Martyn, take any ideas you like! Let me know if you want any more information...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back