Firefly - 1:6 scale Mal Reynolds sculpt

<div class='quotetop'>(Sidewinder @ Oct 16 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1339036[/snapback]</div>
I find when doing anything like this one of the most important things is knowing when to stop. :)

SAS
[/b]
Oh... I agree. It's the same with drawings, which I'm a bit more well-versed in than sculpting. Though, I'm happy to say that the hair is done. Not more will be done to that. I managed to figure out what was wrong with the front shot - it was the general lines/curves of his cheeks that were off, so that was re-shaped, so it looks much better now... won't work anymore on that either. Now... I have to add the right eye-brow and reshape the left on just a tiny bit, so it looks more "real"... and then I'll do the neck.

Still trying to figure out how to do the brass buckles on his coat... and the buttons on his shirt... will post again once those are done, as that is basically the last thing that needs to be done to the main body sculpt.

Gotta get those boots started... hmm... hope to have an update on those soon...

Right arm, hand and pistol is in the development-stage...

Honestly I can see the likeness (and I KNOW how is hard to do something that "resemble" something else... :D ).
Probably you need only to "smooth" the hard edges and define the final shapes, and you should be set. ;)
Keep posting the updates. :)

Nothing new, except to say that the boots are finally starting to take shape... man, those are some tough nuts to crack. :eek

UPDATE: have discarded the idea of doing both versions at this time... this current figure will be purely Firefly version... and maybe the Serenity version will be made later... I dunno... also have other projects in mind for the future, but not Firefly/Serenity, nor is it likely that it'll be human subjects... but most likely humanoids of some kind. (was thinking about doing the movie versions of the Ninja Turtles, if this figure turns out great... it all depends on this one) :)

I was thinking that if you ended up reproducing this Mal model, you could alter one of the casts to a Serenity version.

IF it became available, I'd probably get two.

:)

The face is 99.9% finished... only needs detailing the eyebrow and then adding the neck and throat... and that's it. All finished. Finally gotten some batteries for my cam, so I can take good pictures again, instead of bothering you with soddy web-cam pictures. Expect pictures within the next few days of the fully completed and baked and possibly primed head.

Latest pictorial update... enjoy:

As mentioned, I have been working on his boots... this is what I have done so far. Still need to work some more on the details on the hand and the belt, but imo, it's looking pretty decent. Still haven't figured out how to do the brass buckles yet, but I will soon... I hope.

I know, I know... the neck seems to be a bit too thin, but at least that can be fixed. Also need to work more on the details there, but otherwise I think the face and hair is pretty much finished:

And here's an extra little picture taken of the face, with flash, which I thought was kinda interesting and wanted to share, as he really does look like Nathan, imo, in this shot:

Hope you like... and again... all constructive critique is appreciated. :thumbsup

Thanks... I'll keep you in mind... heck... just gotta figure out that molding thing... head is finished now... and will be baked tomorrow... crossing fingers that nothing bad will happen. :confused

Being the perfectionist I am... I can see a few things off in the sculpt, but it is nothing that I am able to fix at all at this point, so I'm simply leaving it alone, instead of risking ruining the likeness I have already achieved. Hope that's okay.

Time to go check out the shops for merchandize... for molding and casting... man... this is exciting. :)

Neck has been widened slightly and it looks more natural now. Also, worked some more on the boots. Left boot is really beginning to look presentable... very nice, imo.

Currently working on the pistol... it will be a one-side piece attached to the base only, unfortunately, as I have decided that he will not be holding it in his right hand. Burned the first version to charcoal... :eek not so good, so I'm working on the second one. If only there was an easy way to do both sides at once, or do one side and then mirror it to the other side, then it would be cool, but I don't know of any... :confused

Here's a shot of the pistol and boots progress... I was thinking about waiting until they were complete... but hey... couldn't resist. :thumbsup

EDIT: Oh yeah, maybe I should mention that those metal pieces popping up in some of my pictures are the tools I'm working with. Talk about doing it simply... they are broken in half womens tweazers for plucking eye-lashes and eye-brow hairs, I guess, and then one is sanded down to make a rounded tip. Also got a pointy "tweazer", also split in half. I guess you can call me a mighty huge amateur with make-shift tools. I'm surprised they even work. :lol

I just did a quick n dirty MSpaint job, cutting the shirt area from the real pic and pasting it onto your sculpt for a comparison - it looks good, I would leave it as is.

SAS

Good. Nothing more will be done to the face. Have to go shopping next week for some quality grade silicone to make molds with... :)

Pistol is also almost finished. Now I just gotta start working on the base it will be attached to. :thumbsup

EDIT: Oh yeah... belt is finished... left hand is finished... started work on his right arm... boots are shaping up... finally got them to looking like equal sized boots... will soon attach them to the figure, so I can finish the rest of the pants as well.

Things are really shaping up... and I'm psyked.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back