Kolchak: The Night Stalker - His Gear

Also...found the shoes. Adidas still makes retro Stan Smith tennis shoes. The difference between the new ones and the vintage is that the tag on the tongue's colors are reversed.

kolchaka.jpg

The hat should still be a few weeks I guess. Now just have to get a powder blue shirt..squared bottom black tie...and a cross. I want a cross like the one used in The Night Stalker film, but it's either chromed or mirrored and I can't find anything like it.
- Paul

Got my camera finished!

kolchak015a.jpg

That looks great! But tell me - please - how did you attach the flash? I've had both the camera & flash for over a year but even after picking the brains of people in Rollei groups and on various sites I could never get any info on what was used to attach the external flash... :confused

Is what I'm using "screen accurate"? Probably not. I've never seen a good look at how it was attached. First things first..if you don't have the tripod adapter you'll need to get that. Secondly, you need a bracket with a "shoe". I'm not a camera guy, but I was emailing back and forth with one and this was the terminology he used. I noticed in my screen caps, that the bracket had to go up from the bottom of the tripod adaptor, up the rear of the camera. Why? Well it's clear it doesn't appear on the side. Looking close, the cord that hooks the camera to the flash is wrapped around the bracket repeatedly. I ended up going with a vintage Olympus bracket. It sits the flash higher than it should, so I pulled out the dremel and shortened the bracket by removing the bottom...bending a new angle (thus making it shorter). Then I drilled out a new hold for the screw....and after wrapping the cord, found that I had the correct height. I hope that helps somewhat.
- Paul

Supposedly the week of Sept. 10 is when my ships.

I bet he is working on ours side by side.

At least I'll know where my Hat's twin is! :lol

The hat should still be a few weeks I guess. Now just have to get a powder blue shirt..squared bottom black tie...and a cross. I want a cross like the one used in The Night Stalker film, but it's either chromed or mirrored and I can't find anything like it.
- Paul

Wow, so I decide to randomly look up to see what he wore and I find this recent thread. :D I just had to create an account for here.

I am a big fan of Kolchak: The Night Stalker and with Halloween coming up I decided I want to go as him. Where did you find the camera, and flash? Did you just get lucky and find it on ebay? Currently search turns up only a vintage add for the camera. Same thing with the recorder. Also is there anything specific about his suit I should look for? Thanks.

Well I'll tell you this...I'm also making a Kolchak costume for Halloween, and if you plan to go as screen accurate as possible..be prepared to spend some serious cash.

First of course is a seersucker suit....you can try Ebay..or spend between 100-200 for a new one.
The Stan Smith Adidas..try Ebay as they're about $75.00 retail.
Powder blue dress shirt is easy enough. Same with the black socks. A square end black tie..is kinda tough. You'll mostly find skinny hipster ties so you have to do some looking.
The tv series camera tends to run between 100 and 150 when you can find one. The Flash is a separate piece. The bracket to attach the two is also a pain to come across.

The most important part? Obviously the hat....Baron's makes exact replicas but that's close to $300.00. If you want "close enough", do a search for straw porkpie and find something you're happy with.

The recorder is tough to come across, but keep searching Ebay. If you need any more specific help, or some links, shoot me a PM. I've sorta been leading the crusade on identifying a lot of this stuff, and I'd be glad to help!

- Paul

Oh..as for the suit...while he does switch out a few jackets and such between the first two movies, by the time he hits the weekly series, he's in a white and blue striped seersucker suit. Two button jacket to be specific. For the most part it tends to film as light blue to white to grey, but that's because unless it's a real high res close-up picture, the striped tend to blend together!
- Paul

Awesome thanks. I still haven't seen the two movies, :( Interesting, I always thought he was wearing a light blue suit. I remember seeing the Barons hat about a year ago when looking for a fedora, might have to pick that one up. Did a little google looking for a square end black tie, and I can't find them in anything but knitted, didn't even know those existed till now. Think maybe that is what he wore?

Ok first thing you need to do is watch the movies..they're great. Especially the first! As for the tie, I'm pretty sure it IS a knitted tie actually. It's hard to find a good pic of it due to the fact that it's black and so doesn't show detail as well, but on profile shots it appears heavily textured...which would make it seem knit.
- Paul

So there I am walking around a mall checking different shoe places to see if they happen to have them, none of them did which wasn't surprising to me. Then I decide to step inside a Macy's since I figured why not. And lo and behold they did, and they had it in my size of 8.5, and it was on sale for $50! :D On the Adidas website they cost $90, and for some reason they don't have it in 8.5, that size is greyed out. If I didn't see them when I was out I was planning on just ordering a size 9, saved myself $40 and got the correct size. That just leaves me with the suit, hat, tie, camera, recorder, and then, the car! lol If I only had the money for the car. :lol

Kolchak is a great tv show. As a kid, I use to watch the original airings and get nightmares. "Watch out! Paramafait is gonna get you."

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back