Underworld lycan WIP. A NEW START PAGE:5.

Re: Underworld lycan WIP.

Very cool! Watching this with interest.

BTW. the quote is: "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DEMILLE." Just fyi. lol

El Duderino, those will help me out immensely my friend. Thank you sir for doing this,very much appreciated!!

But also remember, there were 2 different shapes of Lycan heads used in that trilogy. Depends which one you're trying to sculpt. I personally love the look of the first movie one since it's different than the "dog snout" ones found in most other types of werewolves.

I'm rambling...anyway those pics give actual head dimensions so you could easily size it to the real ones. I might have more pics saved at home I can send you tonight. PM me your email address. :)

This is shaping up to be one of my fav builds. call me a fan :)

This forum thread had some what looks to be some WIP shots of the Lycan builds for the movie..

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-costume-ideas/91769-werewolf-legs-help.html

PDVD_0581.jpg

PDVD_0511.jpg

Also found this shot of the back of one of the suits...it's from Underworld: Rise of the Lycans however....

http://www.icollector.com/Underworld-Rise-of-the-Lycans-Werewolf-Movie-Costumes_i8462890#

Last edited:

this is shaping up so nicely. very creepy, in a good way. :) looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

you mentioned needing reference, it just occurred to me that the special edition of the first Underworld movie had quite a lot of behind the scenes footage of the Lycan suits. You may find that helpful and might be able to grab some screencaps.

Hi guys, I am blown away with all your great and positive comments on my project so far. I wish to thank each and every one you for this and also for all your input, photo's that you have kindly posted, web and info links etc and also for your continued assistance. The RPF is a fantastic place for sincere and genuine help, advice, tips etc and I couldn't progress on this Lycan build without all your gracious help!!

Thanks also to Mr Fett for the email, cheers buddy they are of incredible help my friend!

Update time guys:

Spent yesterday re-working the ears as they were miles off in the look department, so I decided to bin the first attempt and start again. Firstly I cut out a basic ear pattern using everyday upholstery foam, then using my trusted hot glue gun I built up layers of glue on the foam, letting it cool down slightly before using my fingers and loads of cold water to get the ear into a recognisable shape. I did this repeatedly until I got to the desired shape I was looking for. Once I had achieved a basic ear I then trimmed them and removed the access foam from the back of the ears. A word of caution though, if attempting this, use LOADS of cold water on your fingers in the smoothing out process as hot glue makes you dance if you don't do it right as some of you may know and I found out numerous times!!! I'll rough sand the ears and add a foam edge to the ears, then latex them up ready for the hair/fur to be put onto the back of the ears and edges.

DSC00312.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

After receiving some amazing help and advice from you guys I decided to have a go at the digitgrade stilts, I managed to get the front shin supports done before deciding I had had enough for the day, I'll work on the metal support frame later in the week as I want to concentrate on the skull for a couple of days so it's ready for the teeth when they arrive.

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

I removed the lower jaw from the skull and started to trim and clean it up a little, adding the trusted hot glue to build up areas that were out of shape (same process to smooth out I used to make the ears) yeah it's a cheat, but a quick one! I'll then fibreglass over theses areas once I completed the re-working of the skull. I'll work on the lower jaw later today and continue to work on the skulls eye sockets as they still need a liitle more work.

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

Again guys thanks so much for all your invaluable assistance with my idea.

Last edited:
Re: Underworld lycan WIP.Update 19/01/11.Page2.

A few more emails headed your way tonight. You will have a fresh perspective when you see what I sent you. ;)

Do you plan on making the head like the way the movie heads were, where it appears the wolf head sat above the human costumers head, much like the Alien Xenomorphs heads were? Look out the neck, through holes hidden through fur? Or perhaps look out through the mouth? Either way makes the costume taller by raising the head up and having that massive bull neck they did.

Last edited:

A few more emails headed your way tonight. You will have a fresh perspective when you see what I sent you. ;)

Do you plan on making the head like the way the movie heads were, where it appears the wolf head sat above the human costumers head, much like the Alien Xenomorphs heads were? Look out the neck, through holes hidden through fur? Or perhaps look out through the mouth? Either way makes the costume taller by raising the head up and having that massive bull neck they did.

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the email my friend. The photo's you sent are fantastic and will help me out no end, very much appreciated!
I plan on doing the version of the Lycan with the shorter snout as it looks more aggressive and foreboding. I'm still not sure on whether to do the skull above my own or the Lycans skull fitted over and in front of my own head, if you get my meaning? I like the look of the bull neck and it's just a matter of how I can make it work with the Lycans skull over my own head (ie mask type fitment) and see through the Lycans eyes.

wow loving what you have done, is the foam and hot glue method what you did for the head as well?

wow loving what you have done, is the foam and hot glue method what you did for the head as well?

I used every cardboard for the skulls template then resined and fibreglassed it. Built up some of the skull detail using every day kids plasticine then just repeated the same as above, then just a case of splitting the cardboard etc from the fibreglass skull. Works for me and it's cheap!

I'm only using the hot glue method on some parts of the fibreglass skull that are in need of building up, then I'll give it a final coat of fibreglass before starting on the latex overskin for the skull.

Currently working on the cable systems for the ear movement and jaw etc, already got the wirework done for the lip snarl, looks pretty good, just got to fasten in the return springs.

Last edited:
Re: Underworld lycan WIP.Update 27/01/11.Page2.

UPDATE:

Over the past week I planned on re-doing some areas on the skull as it was a little on the small size and I wasn't completely happy with it, but after a long hard look I decided to re-do it all from scratch. Having done this I think it looks a lot better both in size and proportions. The wire lip has been finished and fitted for the snarl on the Lycan and works a treat, added his teeth which I think gives this project a really gruesome and scary feel to him. I have to thank a really good friend of mine for kindly supplying them, they look awesome Lee, cheers buddy! Just in the process of cleaning up the fibreglass skull ready to start on the clay work for the latex skin which will go over the finished skull, so please excuse the masking tape over the eye lenses, but it gives you an idea of how it is looking at the moment guys.

I'm now working on the neck and shoulders for this build and I'm half way through it, just got a couple more litlle bits to do on it before I post up pic's.

Let me know what you think guys and here's the pic's so far...... looks a bit like a T-Rex at the moment! LOL.

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

Last edited:

how come i just saw this thread? wished i saw it earlier..hehe..all i can say is,WICKED! Definitely worth seeing your updates man! :)

New teeth look great, this is going to be a great costume, sure to scare the kiddies!

Ok guys I started on the clay sculpt for the face of the Lycan yesterday and having never done anything of this nature before, sculpting a face is all new to me and is trial and error. I am still learning with each attempt so please bare with me. I have got this far with the face, but still a long way to go yet with finishing off th crown and under the lower jaw, profiling, detailing, smoothing out etc. I will never be able to replicate the original screen used Lycan or it's face, but I am going to get it as close as I can, maybe adding my own little twist here an there, but nothing that will detract from the look of the Lycan.

I'm a bit nervous on showing this as I'm not quite sure if I am going in the right direction or not guys, so any input or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a couple of pics......

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00334.jpg

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

Any good guys???

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back