When to "start over"

Cieszlak

Lately, I have been running into the same issue time and time again.
I would get excited about a new cosplay idea or armor/helmet build, research the hell out of it and decide to begin.
Along the way I run into little problems and small mistakes here and there.
But, almost 3/4 of the way through the project I hit a wall and have a serious debate with myself whether or not to start over entirely.

EXAMPLE: Recently, I have been building a Star Lord helmet out of eva foam. I found a template online and while assembling pieces I was realizing that the template that I was using was very inaccurate. Causing me to modify it as I went. I don't mind doing this here, but, the farther I get the more issues I run into.
I've gotten 3/4 of the helmet completed and am excited to finally finish it. But, keep thinking "maybe I should start from scratch with my modified templates in hopes of making the helmet look better".

As I mentioned, this happens with almost every project I work on.
Should I continue and complete the build?
Or, should I start over and make it look a bit better?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edison was said to have failed 10,000 times while working on the light bulb. He got there. Starting over is always an option. In your case to get over the wall, I would complete the current build, warts and all, then build the new one to your satisfaction. Call it a prototype. No failure in that.

This has been an all too common issue for me as well. I finally came to terms with it by deciding I would never improve if I did not complete my projects. By completing the projects I get a better feeling of accomplishment. I also usually run into yet more challenges as I keep working which I also feel I need to correct - and so continue to learn. If I had stopped and started over I would probably have hit a new point where I would have thought about beginning yet again. By pushing through I keep learning and keep improving. When (if) I get done I can then make a realistic determination if I do want to start again with my new perspective. Also with this approach I normally try to find ways to reduce the waste in completing a less than satisfactory project. I do that by switching to less expensive material, incorporating fewer details, and cutting corners on techniques I believe I already understand well enough.

I finally decided to make this a positive part of my process and not just a "corrective" part. These are all common techniques used in costumes where making muslins is a normal part of the process when doing something for the first time. I find it works just as well for hard goods. Another approach I use is to divide complex projects into many small subassemblies, and order them from easiest (more familiar materials and techniques) to most difficult (requires the most time, learning or skill). Then I decide which way I want to go. Easy to hard, or hard to easy. I have done it both ways. Time is usually my limiting factor for success, so if I think I am going to fail (and stop the project because it is beyond my current capabilities) I want to fail early so I start with the hardest. If I am motivated to do or die, I go easy to hard, as that lets me celebrate my wins as I go forward and hopefully continue to improve.

Another factor I try to incorporate is better time management. If I do not give myself a time limit or deadline on a project I will work it to death and never get it done. Sometimes for my personal projects, since I do not do this professionally, I just have to say good enough is good enough.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back