$20 Original Tron Identity Disc Replica Project

oujala

I decided I wanted one that you could actually throw and that didn't have power inverters and battery packs everywhere, so I started searching for glow in the dark frisbees which led to this:

Amazon.com: Wham-O Twilight Blast LED Frisbee Disc: Sports & Outdoors

That was the best option I could find.

This is how it looked after I goo goned the label:

PIC-0486.jpg

And after a hasty (nasty) paint job, this is what I had:

PIC-0487.jpg

The rings aren't that wide on my template, but I had to trim because of the poor masking. Then I lost interest because it was an obvious do-over situation.

Couple of notes:

-There are only 2 led lights on the disc

-Daytime lighting won't be as strong UNLESS you put some sort of reflector behind it for mounting. I'm thinking round cardboard and aluminum foil. The test was great.

I used shelving contact paper for the target on the disc, and electrical tape for the outer rim ring. Electrical tape wins hands down.

Right now I am on round 2 with the paint, but there's snow everywhere, so it may be awhile. In the meantime, anyone have any ideas on getting a really good circular mask done for the target?

Last edited:
Re: $20 Original Tron Identity Disc Replica

That's a great idea on using a pre-lit frisbee! I'm gonna try it for myself.

Did you use a circle cutter to cut out the contact paper? That would be a good way to get a clean edge. I recently found a cheap one at Wal-mart in the craft/party/wedding section:

http://www.xacto.com/Product/X2010

It works well, though there are fancier/more expensive versions out there.

So I saw one of these at Target just now - the text/logos on that version looked like embossed/stamped on foil, rather than a label. Is that what you meant yours had?

My concern is that the foil text will be hard to remove - I'm not sure that goo gone will work for that purpose. Even then, there will still be visible embossing where the foil was removed. The plastic is too soft to sand smooth it seems - any advice?

Tamiya have a good range of colours in translucent spray paint. Its important when using it to start with very light coats.

Yeah the one at Target should be the same one. The foil was a pain to remove, but a few goo gone coats and a toothbrush and it was, well, gone. The embossing is still there, but not so noticeable as it is a deal breaker for me. I am really thinking of fine sanding it and see what I get. Should help with diffusion as well.

As far as the circle cutter, I used a compass with a razor blade on the pencil end, but the circles wouldn't lay perfect. Thinking of using pinstriping tape to get them, but I want perfect, and I'm sure I would screw that up. Though my girlfriend has a cutter, so maybe I should commandeer it for a bit! Great idea!

The cardboard with the foil I haven't done yet. The pic was without it, but the lights were off. I have put a strip of foil behind with the lights on and gotten good results. I was planning on just using the foil covered cardboard with perhaps a hole in the middle so you can reach the switch, but only for mounting and display. It's just like the new deluxe ones, in the light you can forget about any good light coming from it.

I did think about the blue paint, but I wanted it all white when off for some reason, maybe a mistake.

The Flashflights were what I was gonna buy first, but after watching video of both frisbees, the fiber optic paths worried me a bit. I would love to see one done with that disc, though.

Yeah, I'm curious which would give the better effect.

The Wham-O just has two LEDs pointed towards the edge of the disc right?

Nick

Yeah only 2. It was a tough decision. I'm pretty happy overall with it considering the price and the lack of external components (other than paint).

Now I gotta flip a coin on sanding the thing.

If anyone decides on the Flashflight please post, cause I'll jump ship in a heartbeat if it looks good!:)

Last edited:

As far as the circle cutter, I used a compass with a razor blade on the pencil end, but the circles wouldn't lay perfect.

Hmm, how about this: take long strips of blue painter's masking tape, and cover the entire surface of the disc. Just lay them straight over it, and overlap the previous edge of the tape a bit, with the goal of the tape being as smooth/conforming/flat on the surface of the disc as possible.

Then take your razor compass and cut the proper circles directly into the tape on the disc. Remove the circles of the tape where you want paint and there you go.

Maybe that would work to get nice masked circles?

I'd get measurements from your first effort, take that to a sign shop and have the circles cut out of white vinyl.

Should have nice clean edges and stick like a dream. Hose the disc down with window cleaner first, that will allow you to move the graphics around and get them where you want them, otherwise, once that vinyl hits a surface, it's pretty much not going to move.

As for coating it with some sort of translucent paint for day-time display, you can get stain glass paint at most any hoby store. Water soluable, but you have to watch out for bubbles.

White vinyl is a fantastic idea. I would still need to paint the outer edge because of those little frisbee ridges, but I think that's the route I will take now.

I'll look for that paint as well!

Thanks!

The ridges and the outer curve are troublesome for the white vinyl idea but you could use machine cut vinyl rings as stencils for the blue areas.

What's the trick with hosing the object in window cleaner exactly?

Nick

Last edited:
Once you have the stickers in place, let it sit and dry for a day or so. Then rub them down gently to be sure they are properly adhered.

And as for the edge needing to be painted, perhaps you could make negative stencils using vinyl and use some Krylon Fusion to add the rings? I hadn't thought of it before, but if the frisbee is slightly "domed" as most are, that will make it difficult for a vinyl sticker to conform to the curved surface. Using paint would therefore be a better option.

Yeah, it has a slight dome to it. I called the sign place today and the guy said it would be $12 for the "target". Definitely worth a try whether a negative stencil or for the positive white areas.

Of course that will blow the $20 portion of the title, ha ha. Not by much, though!

Quick update:

Stripped the paint and applied vinyl decals. Fantastic idea! Though I'm missing a ring (told the guy wrong number) and the rim will have to be painted, couldn't ask for a better look for the money.

I sanded the top and really regret it as it dulled the light too much. Wonder if clear coating and buffing would help it?

The lighted pic is with no foil background, and I think it is still pretty cool overall.

Anyway, this one may go to a Tron obsessed 6 year old nephew when done, and I'll try another go for me.

P1020329.jpg

P1020332.jpg

Quick update:

Stripped the paint and applied vinyl decals. Fantastic idea! Though I'm missing a ring (told the guy wrong number) and the rim will have to be painted, couldn't ask for a better look for the money.

I sanded the top and really regret it as it dulled the light too much. Wonder if clear coating and buffing would help it?

The lighted pic is with no foil background, and I think it is still pretty cool overall.

Anyway, this one may go to a Tron obsessed 6 year old nephew when done, and I'll try another go for me.

P1020329.jpg

P1020332.jpg

SWEET! I've been trying to find one of these kinds of discs in stores somewhere. I always do that before I purchase something online.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back