Studio scale Probe droid, ID and build!

Re: Studio scale Probe droid build.

One more gig & I'm free till mid Jan, so there will be some PD time coming up mate. That little tube seems really odd & random, I'm sure I've seen a better pic of it & it has some detail to it somewhere. I have all my Ref on my old computer so will dig it out & see what PD stuff I have. With the tube sat on the plate I assumed it was a kit part.

ILM did some weird stuff at times. One thing I'm going to try and do is scribe under the top part of the dome ( the part you just levelled) to make it look like a separate piece.

All the plating is pretty flush to the head but the top part is clearly separated. I think this would make a huge difference to the final look & just take it one step closer to looking authentic.

Been trying to find black marbles for the small eye lenses also, What s the diameter of the hole in the lamp shades?

Bed!

Ps. Michelle cant think of anything better than me turning the wardrobes upside down looking for PD parts whilst she sleeps. Thats what love is allllllll about

Night Night

Ps. I turn 40 in a few days so expect some pretty obscure posts around this time saturday night. I have a feeling i will be turning into a cross between Mr Blobby & the Hulk, well thats what usually happens when I get pissed, & its been a while.

Uckin 40 mate, how did that happen?

Lol Guy the years just fly by mate, had to double check i was 36 this year!!!

Buddy im going to use 8mm LEDs for the small lenses, the aperture is 8.3 mm in the Plastruct.

Anyhoo, im typing on the damn phone and fingers on my girly hands are still too fat, so ill mail ya come the morn lol.

Lee

I think I may have another find mate, check out part C38 on the Matilda, I think your spot on with the 3 boxes also.

I was pretty sure that tube had a detail of some kind, hope I'm right, what do you think?

C38matilda.jpg

Its looking good?

Here are a few more parts incorrect on the kit. On the GK, there are three (larger than the kit part) blocks in this area.
They kinda bugged me, as they didnt look like kit parts, more, handmade, so i wanted to find them...and i think, i have.

The parts seem to be from the Tamiya Matilda C11, would like a second opinion if anybody is up for it, but seeing as three are used, three are in the Matty kit, and, seem to match the tells.....could be onto a winner?

bests.....lee

Matilda-1.png

It looks like the parts, the hinges on the top of the parts looks to have been sanded ? The little bits (or hinges) on the edges are a good tell to say the matilda parts are the right ones.

These 2 (bottom) parts are still bugging me. I'm sure I have them but cant remember in what kit.

unknown.jpg

at quick first glance they look like the covers to a AMT tanker. me thinks. or something else AMT. think they're used on the escape pod.

maybe not?

Quad gun was already found, but Julien, thanks for the SU info.

Guy C38 looks wrong, the thickness of the tubing is off, and still looks more like a Plastruct lamp fitment to my eye, im sure i can even see a micro green chip in the upside.

Oh and thanks for the clarification on the Matty parts Julien, yeah, the top hinges do look sanded.

lee

Cheers Julien, at last some more use out of my SU 85 from the A wing build.

Slowly coming together for me now.

Hmm im not so sure, i prefer the KV1 seeing as its used elsewhere on the prop, and the fuel drum ends are the same!

Lee

Whats the KV1?

I'm still convinced that little tube is the matilda part :eek, I've got a MKII Matilda, it does seem in scale to the parts around it like the quad & other Matilda part & it has that stepped end like in the larger picture. Is there a code for the plastruct part so I can give it look?

Its used on the ATST Guy, hull makes the head backplate.
Dont have the plastruct number to hand Guy, but look under LF parts in the catalog, Matty part just looks off to me buddy, tube walls too thin, but im all for being proven wrong.

Lee

look at the other end, it has different aperture at each end, if we can find a pic of the other side of the PD head it should rule it in or out. It'd def in proportion length wise?

at worst a very close second place :lol

Guy, id like it to be the Matty part, i dont currently have my plastruct parts lol, ill pull my kit take another look buddy, its just im sure i see a tiny green chip in the tip of the prop part, but ive maybe been sniffing too many fumes of late lol.

Lee

I think It is mate, just found another pic that helps the Cowen cause.

I hope so, as its not often I bag an ID, well one that someone hasn't told me about :lol

Large aperture at the outer end
Matildatube.jpg

Small aperture at inner end with the stepped edge that cuts across the centre of the tube. For me thats 3 tells.
C38matilda.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back